Has anyone gotten their significant other hooked on Disney?

KBLovedDisney

Yes. Definitely. I talked him into going with me in 2012 (which unfortunately was not the best start off Disney trip). We were both extremely strapped for cash at that time. However, we decided to go again for our honeymoon. And now after every trip, "Let's do this next time! and this! ooo and this!" It is awesome!

Kenny1132

Well, my wife and I were both fans, but clearly our sickness has spread by being married. We both knew we liked Disney when we got together but now it has turned into a check Disney boards, plan Disney trips, "when are we going back?", one small Disney room is now the whole Disney house kind of obsession. So, we did not turn the other but we sure did not help things =) It's so nice to be able to share what you love with those you love! Enjoy your upcoming trips!

Yep this is basically what happened with my girlfriend and I. We were both Disney fans and when we went together for the first time a year and a half ago we really revved up our Disney love. Can't wait to go back in September

righttrack

My wife never went until we were parents. I never forget going in Magic Kingdom that first time. She was just amazed. She expected more a plot of land with rides on it, albeit nice rides. She focused on then, and even more now, on the small details and how well thought out and cared they are. She's a full-on Disney Freak now, and knows all sorts of trivia.

GrimGrinningGhost15

Went on my first ever trip with my husband (then BF) when we were in college... he had been 2 times a year almost his entire life... I was INSTANTLY obsessed. We are married now, went on our honeymoon and 2 years later we are heading back this fall! It is the only "big" vacation we go on, my family doesn't get it and always says we should try going other places but... we just can't bring ourselves to go anywhere else. I of course always loved disney movies growing up... but loving Disney world is a whole new game :inlove::D

JIMINYCR

Fortunately DW and I both dreamt of a Disney life together. I've warned DS that the first question he needs to ask when he's begun dating someone is her feelings for Disney. No sense in wasting time being with someone you have nothing in common with. :p:p:p

BraveGirl

Unfortunately, my obsession has actually turned my husband completely off of all Disney vacations. He now only goes if he HAS to (like next year when we do a big family reunion for my mom's 70th).

He begrudgingly went a few times with me before we had kids. He was ok with it, but could take it or leave it. But once we had kids, the enthusiasm with which I approach these trips - the planning, the itinerary, the "must see it all till the kids are passed out in the strollers" technique - is just too much for him. Now the thought of a WDW vacation is like a horrible nightmare to him. His ideal trip is sitting on a beach drinking vodka all day with zero plans or places to be :cautious::(:cry:. Literally the complete opposite of a Disney trip with me.

Thankfully, my obsession has rubbed off on my two kids, and my mom has always been just like me (I got it from her! She's a former castmember). So now I've just decided to leave him home and go with them. We will be buying annual passes this year too .I want to make sure I get in as many trips with my momma as I can while she's still able to pull off 14 hour days at WDW ;)

StarshipDisney

Unfortunately, my wife is not and will never be the level of Disney fan that I am. I talked her into a Disney honeymoon at the Poly when we got married but since she will only let us go back every few years. So in 17 years of marriage we have had only 5 trips to Disney (2000, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2016).

There have been a few business trips in or near Orlando when I managed to sneak in a day at the Magic Kingdom, but that is not the same as a real vacation when you stay there and also no family to enjoy it with.

While I could easily go to Disney at least once per year, my wife says she "wants to see other places". So I had to do other stuff like the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls in order to "earn" a Disney trip. We have also had a number of other trips like Universal, Sea World, Lost Sea, Ruby Falls, Pigeon Forge, Six Flags, Cherokee, Carowinds, Colonial Williamsburg, etc. That is why our Disney trips are so spread out.

We are going again in December 2018 and I am hoping to increase the frequency of Disney trips in the future now that some of the bucket list places are getting checked off. Hopefully every 2-years if I can push that hard.

I envy the folks who talk about their annual trips to Disney. I wish...

bjlc57

well i am the disney addict.. I went when the place first opened.. and I grew up with the Mickey Mouse club.. when I finally could afford, ( and we really couldn't afford the first trip) my wife came on board.. and my kids love the place.. but now I have a son in law,. who had an excellent time at Disney. .but just didn't catch the pixie dust..We will see what happens in the future.. btw. .today is a former coming home day from Disney for me..in 2010.. this has been my week. over the years.. and we are now a year away.. and I can't wait.. ( my body can wait..its not ready to go back again)..

huffy

My daughter and I are Disney World nuts. We have gone for years, once a year. Since she is a principal we usually have to go during spring break. When she got married about 8 years ago, her husband had no interest. So it was just us girls. Until last Dec. when she had a birthday and told him that she wanted him to go with her as a birthday present. He did go and tried to enjoy it, but its just not his thing. He, too, would rather just sit on a beach and veg. She is disappointed but at least our girl only trips are back!

Disney4family

I guess I did. I went to WDW in '73, '74 & '81. He had never been.
Fast forward to our honeymoon in France. It's now '97. We spent 3 weeks all over France. Near the last day in Paris (at the end of the trip), I suggested we take the train from Paris to Disneyland Paris. I had to listen to the "I didn't come all the way to Paris to go to some Disney Park." until we stepped into the park.
We were able to walk up Main Street USA to the castle for rope drop. A band came out and started to play for the crowd. Mickey came out and started to take pictures with people. I told the CM in French that we were there on our honeymoon. He screamed in French, "New marriage!" and pulled us under the rope. They held our stuff, took our picture with Mickey and had us dance to the band. It was magical, of course.
Now fast forward to '01. Struggling to have little ones, I said, "Get me away from here". Off we go to WDW. His first time. I don't have to say, we had a blast.
We finally get to take our daughter in '04 a month before she turns 4. So magical, as I'm sure some of you know. We had left our little boy home since he was a little behind his peers and just wasn't ready. So - now it's '05. We all go. That was it.
We've been there 15 times in 14 years. We're BLT DVC members. He's as hooked as I am. It's a done deal. No going back and no desire to. We always have a countdown going.
It's fun. It's magical. It's special. It's everything everyone here feels and I love it.

RyPat

I too AM the significant other who got hooked... My wife had been many times growing up, and a year after we started dating her family had planned a trip and i went along for my first visit, Jan. 2013... which was followed by a Jan. '14 trip... which was followed by a Disneyland '15 trip.... which was followed by a long weekend WDW '15 trip... which was followed by another family trip in April '16... which was followed by a honeymoon in August '16... which will be followed by another family trip in April '18.... and somewhere in all of that we bought into DVC, so yeah, we're both kinda hooked! :cool:

BoarderPhreak

Oh yeah. Though she doesn't appreciate my... "Enthusiasm" so much. She's a late sleeper - I'm up at the ***crack of dawn and raring to hit rope drop and practically the last to leave. :p

Yes! I've always been a lover of all things Disney, and had tried to convince my boyfriend what he should go with me on one my trips, but he wasn't having it. 2 years into the relationship, my birthday gift was park tickets. He said we could go for Labor Day. The trip was great, but I think he was a little overwhelmed. Cut to December 2016 when I told him he HAD to see WDW at Christmas time. We flew down from Atlanta for a long weekend, and I'm not sure if it was the Christmas magic or the birthday brunch I planned for him at California grill, but he was hooked! In fact, HE decided we needed annual passes. We already visited for Flower and Garden this year, and we're working on a Food and Wine visit over Labor Day weekend. The transformation is complete :)
17358753_10101991626905724_1860266271045240191_o.jpg

Rob562

My bf and I have been together for 4 years. While I doubt he'll ever get to the obsession-level that I am, he's definitely become a fan.

When we first started dating, he'd never even ridden a roller coaster. (Not that he was scared, the rest of his family just wasn't interested when he was growing up, so they never brought him to an amusement park) He went to Universal Studios once with his cousins when he was in his late-teens/early-20's, but that was before they had any coasters. So his exposure to theme parks was limited to that (He still pines for Back to the Future)

In 4 years I've gotten him on 80+ coasters around the northeast and mid-Atlantic, and we've made three trips to WDW. Two week-long trips during Food & Wine, and a long weekend during Gay Days. In the parks he mostly just allows me to lead him around, and he still gets things confused in his mind (he gets aspects of Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror confused, doesn't remember which park things are in, etc) but he's definitely hooked.

He's an architect and enjoys plants and gardening, so he's always looking at how the parks are designed and landscaped. (One time he walked up to an archway that looked like stone at Saratoga Springs and knocked on it, and was a little dismayed to find that it wasn't real stone. This gave birth to the running joke "Don't touch the walls if you don't want to ruin the magic!")
He's also confused sometimes with how they build things, like the fact that they built the "core" of the Avatar FoP ride building and then they built the outer walls around it. I had to remind him that theme park design and construction requirements are often different than office buildings and lab spaces...

Just last night we were looking at screenshots of aerial footage of the Star Wars Land construction at Disneyland, and we were talking about the layout and the different buildings and what the various foundations might be for. Definitely hooked.

This year we're taking a year off from Disney and doing an "everything but Disney" trip to Orlando to spend some time at Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens. (Though definitely with a few evenings at Disney Springs and a visit to Trader Sam's) Then in Fall 2018 we're planning a trip back to WDW with up to a dozen friends from college, many of which have been saying "I want to go to Disney with you to see what you see in it"... :)

-Rob

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom