Harry Potter Theming Atrocity

kap91

Original Poster
Well the title might be a bit strong but it is a really big problem.

First let me start off by saying that Universal has outdone themselves on the Harry Potter buildings and presumably the attraction as well. They look marvelous...when you are in the land that is. Nobody seems to have mentioned what it looks like everywhere else. Bad. As of now, with all visible signs of construction gone and only a month and a half or so until opening we are left with a gigantic showbuilding that looks like it won't be covered.

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=38697&size=big&cat=&ppuser=23498

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=38695&ppuser=23498

and

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=38698&ppuser=23498

I don't know what Universal was thinking, but despite the amazingness of the rest of the new additions this is really just unacceptable. Even if it is covered up with a paint job it will not look nearly as cohesive as the rest of the new additions. It doesn't surprise me that Universal would cut corners but this seems like a bit much.

I'd say its as bad as Everest's backside but it in fact is much worse as its visible throughout the entire park!

I really hope I'll be eating my words in a few weeks, but I don't see how they'll cover this up and despite the rest of the Harry Potter additions, I'm extremely disappointed in this particular aspect.

Other photos are located in the album: http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=23498&cat=500

Skip

Having been to the park since the construction of the showbuilding, it IS a serious visual detraction from many of the park's areas, most importantly the vista you view upon reaching the lagoon from the entrance! The building juts just up above the treeline at Jurassic Park next to the visible Hogwartz towers and really detracts from the view. Its presence is also incredibly visible from the Jurassic Park area (as the photos show) and even in the opening bit of the Jurassic Park ride. We can only hope that Universal has further plans to hide the building, but I have a feeling that what we see is what we get...

Testtrack321

I thought you were talking about the rethemed DD queue which removes ALL of the sight gags, theming, and charm with some banners and bad rock work...

Skip

It's worse than EE, it's not hidden at all, and can be seen inside the park.

Are we sure they haven't pained over it any?

They did some (admittedly nice) looking rockwork painting on the showbuilding nearest the actual sculpted rockwork to help it "blend" I suppose, but that appears to be all they're planning on doing, which is ridiculous for the incredible visual detraction and theme violation. I love Universal and often consider it higher than the Disney parks in many ways, but this is inexcusable.

As for the Dueling Dragons queue - I'm hoping that's over-exaggerated, since to my knowledge the only part of the queue that's been revealed is the very last portion of the queue (where there wasn't all that much to begin with). The bulk of the queue, where all of the fantastic visual gags and preshow existed, has not been revealed to us yet. That said, if they aren't planning on repainting the tracks, adding additional theming to the ride area, or reskinning the trains, color me hugely disappointed.

dxwwf3

Oh my that is horrible. That's gotta get fixed pronto.

I thought you were talking about the rethemed DD queue which removes ALL of the sight gags, theming, and charm with some banners and bad rock work...

If they screw up the DD queue, this is a HUGE loss to the park.

sknydave

I don't understand the problem here? The stuff pictured is just temporary

btw it's hilarious how the ice dragon still spits fire in that image

AndyP

I don't understand the problem here? The stuff pictured is just temporary

btw it's hilarious how the ice dragon still spits fire in that image

I agree, they have simply put these up just until the HP theme comes in to effect. They obviously had to pull out the old theming quickly and put up something temporary, these flags, so that the change can be done faster closer to the time. The very fact that the ice dragon is breathing fire, which is quite an embarrassment to the designer, is an obvious sign these have been a quick throw together so that guests can be directed to the appropriate line in the mean time.

JT3000

Unfortunately, I think they were so quick to cash in on Potter mania that they really didn't consider what this would do to the rest of the park, Jurassic Park especially. What these photos don't show you is the fact that there's literally no room to plant new trees there. The greenhouse queue extends all the way out, and to further the Potter theming, they've planted these short little evergreens that you can't even see from JP. So as far as I can tell, they've permanently ruined that area.

The VP of Universal Creative was actually asked how they would hide the show building. His answer basically amounted to "I have no idea what you're talking about. What show building?"

freediverdude

They don't *have* to put expensive rockwork on the whole building, but it really shouldn't be painted white like that. They just need to paint the building grey or the color of the Hogwart's roofs or something like that.

kap91

Original Poster
They don't *have* to put expensive rockwork on the whole building, but it really shouldn't be painted white like that. They just need to paint the building grey or the color of the Hogwart's roofs or something like that.

They should paint it bright chroma key green, that way when I take a picture I won't have to see it. :)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The VP of Universal Creative was actually asked how they would hide the show building. His answer basically amounted to "I have no idea what you're talking about. What show building?"

Now thats someone who has upper management written all over him.....

jakeman

I don't see what the problem is. I clearly remember Hogwarts jutting out over the T-Rex enclosures when I watched Jurrasic Park. :lookaroun

Chevross

I've got an idea. Paint that white piece of block camo!

Or just leave it like it is and say dragon poo is the same color as birds poo, but more rectangular.

T-1MILLION

Now thats someone who has upper management written all over him.....

That was a bit of a misquote by JT3000. The Creative Director interview response to the question was responded with a smirk and an intentionally unaware tone "I don't know what you are talking about, when I look over there all I can see is this lovely castle and amazing scenary" or something closer to that. It was intentional and not an ignorant statement. They are going to do some things to help conceal the building more from a few angles and after Dragons goes down for the last time I would expect that to take place.

JT3000

That was a bit of a misquote by JT3000. The Creative Director interview response to the question was responded with a smirk and an intentionally unaware tone "I don't know what you are talking about, when I look over there all I can see is this lovely castle and amazing scenary" or something closer to that. It was intentional and not an ignorant statement. They are going to do some things to help conceal the building more from a few angles and after Dragons goes down for the last time I would expect that to take place.

It was a paraphrasing, not a misquote. I didn't insinuate that he was actually unaware of the problem. And I really don't see how they could fix this, beyond moving the entire guest path. As I said before, there's no space there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom