Harry Potter Question

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Hello All!

I'm planning my daughter's first trip to WDW and Universal for September. One of the girls in her class (and she's only 5) just got back from a trip to Universal Hollywood and was talking to my daughter about how she got a wand and could do magic throughout the Harry Potter land. Does Universal Orlando have this as well? I haven't heard about it until now (I've been avoiding looking anything up so it's more exciting), but I can't find anything online. I was already thinking of letting my daughter get a wand, but I don't want her to be heartbroken if she can't do "magic" with it.

Second Star to the Right

You will also get a map with your interactive wand that will show you what spots you can interact with and what motions you need to do.

Yes, you can purchase an Interactive wand at Ollivander's in Diagon Alley (Universal Studios side) or the Ollivander's in Hogsmeade (Islands of Adventure side). They have interactive character wands, as well as interactive "personal" wands - meaning, you can choose your own based on your birthday (or whatever one looks the coolest!). If you have any questions as to which are interactive, the Wizards and Witches posted there are more than happy to help. A quick way to tell is that there is a little "bulb" at the tip of the interactive wands.

The wand will come with a double-sided map that shows Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. On the map there are markers that show where the interactive wands can be used to perform magic spells. When you get to that destination, there will be a gold marker on the ground that shows you the wand movement and the incantation that needs to be said, it will be on the map as well.

As a note, because Diagon Alley was built second, there are far more interactive wand spots as compared to the Hogsmeade side. So, if you are only doing one park, that might be a consideration. However, if it is your first time, it is very hard to pass up seeing the castle on the Hogsmeade side.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Thank you so much! I think we're going to the the park to park pass and just spend onew entire day doing both parks. I know it'll be a lot to cover, but I think we can do it. Haha. Thanks again!

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Does anyone know an estimate of the costs of the interactive wands? Granted I can probably find something online. Lol.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Oh that's not nearly as much as I was assuming it would be! Someone else had said they were expensive so I was thinking closer to $100.... which I wouldn't spend for my five year old. Hahaha. $40 isn't nearly as horrible in comparison.

thomas998

Hello All!

I'm planning my daughter's first trip to WDW and Universal for September. One of the girls in her class (and she's only 5) just got back from a trip to Hollywood and was talking to my daughter about how she got a wand and could do magic throughout the Harry Potter land. Does Universal Orlando have this as well? I haven't heard about it until now (I've been avoiding looking anything up so it's more exciting), but I can't find anything online. I was already thinking of letting my daughter get a wand, but I don't want her to be heartbroken if she can't do "magic" with it.

They sell two wands you will need to get the one with the gold sticker because it has the sensor in the tip.

But we just got back from there this weekend and my kids were a bit disappointed in the wands this trip. Quiute a few windows weren't working and the lines at same were insanely long.... I think the popularity has kind of taken the fun out of it. When we first did it they hadn't been doing it that long and you didn't have the insane lines or dead windows which made it more fun.

If I were you I would look on ebay and see if you can pick up a used wand for a bit less than they are in the parks. I think the are now about $50 which is pretty steep for what they are.

EngineJoe

Hello All!

I'm planning my daughter's first trip to WDW and Universal for September. One of the girls in her class (and she's only 5) just got back from a trip to Universal Hollywood and was talking to my daughter about how she got a wand and could do magic throughout the Harry Potter land. Does Universal Orlando have this as well? I haven't heard about it until now (I've been avoiding looking anything up so it's more exciting), but I can't find anything online. I was already thinking of letting my daughter get a wand, but I don't want her to be heartbroken if she can't do "magic" with it.

If you are going to get the Interactive wand, it may be a good idea to practice the different spells with your daughter before you go as each spell is a different motion.

JillC LI

If you go to Ollivanders first thing when the parks open, the line is manageable for the show and your child may be lucky enough to be chosen for a wand to choose them. My DD was so excited when this happened. We hadn't planned to buy a wand, but after it "chose" her during the show, there was no turning back! LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom