Harry Potter - OK, Gonna say it....

Captain Chaos

Oh and Twilight is the worst thing to happen to pop culture. I was subjected to the first film and it was total and utter garbage. From a cinematic perspective, it was awful. From an adaptation perspective, I was told by my friend who read the books that it was an awful adaptation.

If I could thrust a wooden stake into the heart of Twilight, I would in a heartbeat.

Cannot talk about the books cause I refuse to read them, but the first Twilight movie was horrible... And any vampire story where vampires sparkle, well, you know it is an utter piece of trash LOL...

Captain Chaos

How's this not trolling? Insulting someone based on a personal taste. Come on.

Man, is summer here already and the kiddies out to play or has bullsforthewin made a comeback on his previous names??? Seriously...

Someone doesn't know what a troll is... But nice try Disney Social Media Propaganda machine.. trying to shut up a critic.. FAIL.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I've gotten used to Twilight hate. I can see why people don't like it. It's not their cup of tea. But saying it's the "worst thing in pop culture" is utterly ridiculous. Go see an Adam Sandler movie or watch Jersey Shore.

The Twilight books were OK, but being told from a girl's perspective, it was harder for me to relate to. The movies, though mostly told through a girl's point of view, shows other sides.

The entire "I hate Twilight because the Vampires sparkle" thing is so silly. People that use that as a reason for hating Twilight are talking as if they have a factual point of reference to base vampires on.:rolleyes:

Also, the first film, from a "cinematic perspective" was actually quite good. The cinematography and musical score were both excellent.

Captain Chaos

I've gotten used to Twilight hate. I can see why people don't like it. It's not their cup of tea. But saying it's the "worst thing in pop culture" is utterly ridiculous. Go see an Adam Sandler movie or watch Jersey Shore.

The Twilight books were OK, but being told from a girl's perspective, it was harder for me to relate to. The movies, though mostly told through a girl's point of view, shows other sides.

The entire "I hate Twilight because the Vampires sparkle" thing is so silly. People that use that as a reason for hating Twilight are talking as if they have a factual point of reference to base vampires on.:rolleyes:

Also, the first film, from a "cinematic perspective" was actually quite good. The cinematography and musical score were both excellent.

I read all the True Blood books so far, they are told from a female perspective (Sookie's character) and yet, I found those books enjoyable... Maybe because I love the True Blood series...

captainkidd

Original Poster
I read all the True Blood books so far, they are told from a female perspective (Sookie's character) and yet, I found those books enjoyable... Maybe because I love the True Blood series...

I like True Blood as well. I quit reading the books after the 3rd, but I never miss an episode of the show. I didn't dislike the Twilight books. I just prefer the movies.

I have no problem in seeing vampires depicted in different ways. Saying the vampires in Twilight are an insult to vampires is like saying the aliens in Alien are an insult to aliens.

There are plenty of fans of Dungeons and Dragons who make fun of the wizardry in the Harry Potter films.

Rowdy

Someone doesn't know what a troll is...

Troll - In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages.

Hmmmm:

Man, is summer here already and the kiddies out to play

But nice try Disney Social Media Propaganda machine..

Surely your taste in entertainment isn't that bad...

Hmm, sounds like a few ill attempts at an insult.

has bullsforthewin made a comeback on his previous names???

I apparently wasn't around for the whole "bullsforthewin" campaign, so I don't entirely understand. But if you're implying I'm him, you're incorrect. But, whatever helps make you feel like you're making a point.

:rolleyes:

Saoirse1916

8. Prisoner of Azkaban: One of the better books was ruined as a film. I know those who haven't read the book love this one, but honestly it totally ruined several aspects of the book and it's timeline. Getting the Firebolt at the end was the kicker that ruined this one for me.
I've heard this from others and, while I agree that the movie is quite different than the book and I'm not sure why they bothered with most of the changes, it didn't ruin it for me. On the contrary, it was the third movie that made me really want to continue watching the series. Although perhaps if I had read the books first I may have felt differently, but in this case ignorance was bliss.

Saoirse1916

What recovery? I restated my original assertation. And no, 99% of the people do not consider it two different movies. Nice try. ;) Even the producers and director stated that it was the same movie, just split into two for the sake of time in the theater.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6-2NTriOL4 check out 4:38. I'm going under the assumption that you were actually in all of the movies so you'll probably want to address Emma Watson's mis-speak. However, on the off-chance that you're not one of the principal actors I think I'll take the word of one who was, rather than random internet forum guy.

That being said, people should by no means jump to 4:38 and watch only the next ten seconds...IMO the whole interview is worth watching.

jcc0621

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that JK Rowling wrote the books to the kids that were Harry and company's age so that they "grew" up with Harry Hermoine, and Ron. So the kids who were 11 when the 1st book came out were 17 or 18 by the time the last book came out.

enchanted_belle

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that JK Rowling wrote the books to the kids that were Harry and company's age so that they "grew" up with Harry Hermoine, and Ron. So the kids who were 11 when the 1st book came out were 17 or 18 by the time the last book came out.

I was 9 when the first book came out, 18 for the 7th book. Harry Potter was one of those series that had a huge impact on growing up during the teen years. Instead of reading books fully based on relationships and valley girls, my generation read about magic.

That being said, go read the books. They're the real obsession behind the series.

jcc0621

I was 9 when the first book came out, 18 for the 7th book. Harry Potter was one of those series that had a huge impact on growing up during the teen years. Instead of reading books fully based on relationships and valley girls, my generation read about magic.

Basically what I was saying. That the 1st books came out for that age group, I just specifically 11 since that was the age of the kids in the 1st book.

That being said, go read the books. They're the real obsession behind the series.

I am actually reading them for the 1st time. My 8 year old all of a sudden got into them. It's funny had no interest when others kids were reading them but I think that because he where's glasses and some of the kids told him he looks like HP:(. Anyway, I am really enjoyoing them and we finish a book, we watch the movie. It's been fun:)

Banksy

I grew up with it, read the books, watched all the films...The fact is, as corny as this sounds, is that it's all about love and friendship and well...It's magical.

The books are a million times better.

It's just unique and fantastic. I love HP!

Minnie1976

I saw all the movies and only read the 1st. I half read and half listened to last book. After viewing Deathly Hallows 1, I would have been lost if I hadn't read the book. I found Deathly Hallows, the book, was much more enjoyable listening to than reading because they said all the weird names correctly.

CaptainShortty

The movies are nothing if not for the books. The books are a true work of creative genius. For anyone that has read through them all, the way they are intertwined with each other is rather incredible. The movies, for what they are are very interesting, entertaining movies. The end ones are depressing, but they make more sense if you've read the books. There is so much left out of 4-7.2 that you can't truly enjoy them for what they're worth without having read the books.

As far as HP World, I am dying to get there and see it. I've had numerous friends go and seen about a zillion pictures and it looks absolutely incredible. The attention to detail looks amazing and I give Universal all the props in the world for not cutting corners on it and making it what it should be.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The movies brought us John Williams to Harry Potter as well as amazing visualizations of the HP world. Those alone are worth it even if the movies were turds - but they weren't.. so it's win win win :)

Cosmic Commando

The movies are nothing if not for the books. The books are a true work of creative genius. For anyone that has read through them all, the way they are intertwined with each other is rather incredible. The movies, for what they are are very interesting, entertaining movies. The end ones are depressing, but they make more sense if you've read the books. There is so much left out of 4-7.2 that you can't truly enjoy them for what they're worth without having read the books.

As far as HP World, I am dying to get there and see it. I've had numerous friends go and seen about a zillion pictures and it looks absolutely incredible. The attention to detail looks amazing and I give Universal all the props in the world for not cutting corners on it and making it what it should be.

Agreed. I think the real "magic" of the HP universe is from the books. The movies did a decent job of capturing the feel of the books. Certainly things have to be cut from such long books to make a movie, but J.K. Rowling must have been pretty happy with the way the movies, or else she could have gone in a different art direction for the theme park settings.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't absolutely love the movies. I was really taken aback by the grand overtures given in reviews for the final movie. I kept thinking to myself, "They know this was already a book, right?" My local newspaper critic was talking about what a masterful story the filmmakers created and so on. It would be like reading a review for a Romeo & Juliet movie: "The ending! Wow! Never saw it coming!"

Cosmic Commando

I saw all the movies and only read the 1st. I half read and half listened to last book. After viewing Deathly Hallows 1, I would have been lost if I hadn't read the book. I found Deathly Hallows, the book, was much more enjoyable listening to than reading because they said all the weird names correctly.

Imagine reading 3 1/2 books saying "Herm-ee-own" in your head and then reading in the fourth book that you have been doing it all wrong! I still have a hard time with it. :hammer:

maxairmike

Same here, although I think I finally broke that habit after so many visits to the Wizarding World in a short time frame during the soft opens hearing it correctly so often. Haven't really read one of the books recently, so we'll see, but I think the correct pronunciation whenever I'm thinking about the land/movies/books now.

Timekeeper

I think the real test for attractions and themed environments is their impact on the majority, those who have not read the books (or seen the films). Yes, there's something to be said about the artistic merit in attention to detail for the familiar fanboys (and fangirls). But the most successful attractions have to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible.

There are lots of intellectual properties out there that have tremendous popularity among their respective fanbase, but most of them probably wouldn't lend themselves well to theme park attractions (cough, Twilight, cough).

Here's an example: It seems as though almost everyone is familiar with Dateline NBC's To Catch A Predator television program. But that doesn't mean we should replace Sinbad with To Catch A Predator - Live On Stage.

Speaking of predators, these two spies managed to catch one:

IMG_0534_thumb.JPG

Teamwork! :sohappy:

Anyhow, I think Universal's success with HP has been in not only appealing to fanboys, but in also appealing to the general public. It seems like everyone walks away impressed. And who knows, maybe generate even more fans that will go out and see what this HP book craze is all about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom