Happy Birthday, Nemo14!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Happy Birthday, Nemo!! :cat:

FishCake6.jpg

Nemo14

Thanks guys. As many of you know, I am quite fond of photographing bald eagles. It's pretty easy to do when we're in Florida since they seem to be everywhere there, but I've only seen a few here in New England. I recently found a website where people report sightings of various birds, so I decided that for my birthday I would look up a few of these and attempt to photograph at least one. Let's just say it was not a very successful trip...

We started at the Swan Point Cemetery in Providence, which is not as creepy as it sounds. It's a huge park right on the Seekonk River with lots of beautiful flowers and trees - and a haven for birds. We spent quite a while there, but no eagles showed up - but there were tons of swans. I'm not a big fan of swans, but they're pretty to look at from a distance.
197405-8a1f0af316f40f467c7877a2f09d2b0f.jpg

197404-9f8d3781230d1d54e01aecc8580baa2c.jpg

From there we headed to Cape Cod to celebrate my birthday at a favorite restaurant there. We were both pretty hungry by the time we got all the way out there, only to find it was closed for renovations. So we grabbed sandwiches at a local Subway and headed to a little park nearby. As soon as we got out of the car, some big black clouds rolled in, so we just dined on our fine cuisine in the car.:joyfull:

On to the next stop, a small pond where there have been a few recent sightings. It took us a while to find it, but we finally did. We watched from the car for a few minutes, then I decided to explore a little. As I was checking in each tree, I saw what looked like a large bird's tail hangin over a branch, so I shot a few pictures and approached the tree for a better view, only to find that it wasn't exactly an eagle. here's photographic proof!

197407-aee9d6222fb8477a2bca5beb1441a101.jpg

Yes boys and girls, it's a pine cone.... :hilarious:

So that was my adventurous birthday. I'll be back in Florida in a couple of days, so I'm sure I'll have better luck then. :cool:

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks guys. As many of you know, I am quite fond of photographing bald eagles. It's pretty easy to do when we're in Florida since they seem to be everywhere there, but I've only seen a few here in New England. I recently found a website where people report sightings of various birds, so I decided that for my birthday I would to look up a few of these and attempt to photograph at least one. Let's just say it was not a very successful trip...

We started at the Swan Point Cemetery in Providence, which is not as creepy as it sounds. It's a huge park right on the Seekonk River with lots of beautiful flowers and trees - and a haven for birds. We spent quite a while there, but no eagles showed up - but there were tons of swans. I'm not a big fan of swans, but they're pretty to look at from a distance.
197405-8a1f0af316f40f467c7877a2f09d2b0f.jpg

197404-9f8d3781230d1d54e01aecc8580baa2c.jpg

From there we headed to Cape Cod to celebrate my birthday at a favorite restaurant there. We were both pretty hungry by the time we got all the way out there, only to find it was closed for renovations. So we grabbed sandwiches at a local Subway and headed to a little park nearby. As soon as we got out of the car, some big black clouds rolled in, so we just dined on our fine cuisine in the car.:joyfull:

On to the next stop, a small pond where there have been a few recent sightings. It took us a while to find it, but we finally did. We watched from the car for a few minutes, then I decided to explore a little. As I was checking in each tree, I saw what looked like a large bird's tail hangin over a branch, so I shot a few pictures and approached the tree for a better view, only to find that it wasn't exactly an eagle. here's photographic proof!

So that was my adventurous birthday. I'll be back in Florida in a couple of days, so I'm sure I'll have better luck then. :cool:

Nemo, maybe you don't have to drive to park-type locations anymore to find some eagles. According to this article (Washington Post), they're adapting more and more to life in the big city! :happy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...cc3c1e4b76b_story.html?utm_term=.8de0f9d6eaa3

Nemo14

Nemo, maybe you don't have to drive to park-type locations anymore to find some eagles. According to this article (Washington Post), they're adapting more and more to life in the big city! :happy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...cc3c1e4b76b_story.html?utm_term=.8de0f9d6eaa3
Yes, there have been several sightings in downtown Boston that I know of, and we have a photographer in Providence who takes amazing photos of local raptors. We even have a live cam on a Peregrine falcon nest right in downtown Providence.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yes, there have been several sightings in downtown Boston that I know of, and we have a photographer in Providence who takes amazing photos of local raptors. We have a lie cam on a Peregrine falcon nest right in downtown Providence.

Yup, I've seen a falcon in the city before, and some large hawks on occasion. I can't see to the top of the city skyscrapers; but I have seen raptors on some of the lower buildings, like the stately old McKim Building (Boston Public Library, built in 1895). They particularly like perching up on those open arches, or on the roof.

elevation.jpg

Lucky

Original Poster
Thanks guys. As many of you know, I am quite fond of photographing bald eagles. It's pretty easy to do when we're in Florida since they seem to be everywhere there, but I've only seen a few here in New England. I recently found a website where people report sightings of various birds, so I decided that for my birthday I would look up a few of these and attempt to photograph at least one. Let's just say it was not a very successful trip...

Pine cone-watching has one advantage. They don't fly away.

Nemo14

Happy birthday, Fishy! Sorry I am a day late. I usually lurk here once a week or so.... Hope you have an amazing time in FL! :)
Thanks Kristin - it's kind of a working vacation, as we will be babysitting my niece's kids, but we'll have time to relax while they're in school. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom