Trip Report Happiest Retirees in The World

Well, we finally got here, to the most magical place ever and had an amazing vacation. For those that didn’t see the pre-trip report, we are myself Gillian(G) and my sister Christine (C) both of us recently retired on our first trip here after a 15 year gap.This time we did 21 nights, 7 nights at Universals Endless Summer Resort - Surfside, followed by 14 nights at POFQ. Reading your great trip reports and threads on this forum helped us to understand the many changes at WDW and enabled us in lots of ways to have such a fab time.

After a long Virgin Atlantic flight from the UK, we were quickly transferred to our Universal hotel. This is one of the new resorts built on the old site of Wet’n Wild down International Drive, a favourite of ours. Even though it is a cheaper hotel it was lovely and with transport included to and from the Universal Parks. We certainly recommend a stay here.
image1.jpeg
IMG_0301.jpeg
IMG_0256.jpeg
This was the pool view from our room which was great as we could always see how busy it was.

Universal Studios/ Islands of Adventure. 6th - 11th Sept.
C has never been a big fan of these parks but like most good sisters met me half way, although I do think the Harry Potter experience had something to do with agreeing to visit.
image3.jpeg

C could not resist trying the cloak on 😂
We found the H.P. experience to be brilliant in both the Studios & IOA. The castle looks so real as did Hogsmead.
IMG_0266.jpeg

IMG_0264.jpeg

We really enjoyed the train journeys on the Hogwarts Express from Universal to Islands & back.
We went on Flight of Hippogriff which was surprisingly rough for us especially C and just did a walk through of Gringotts Bank but exited before ride start. The animatronics were fabulous in the bank and loved the dragon.
image0.jpeg

So worth waiting for this photo.
We had lunch at the Leaky Cauldron where we both had the shepherds pie pasty which was delicious.
IMG_0239.jpeg

It really does look like the Leaky Cauldron depicted in the film and has a great atmosphere. We would also recommend Florian Fortescue’s Parlour for ice cream which was yummy. 🤤

Other rides we went on in the parks were E.T an old favourite, Men in Black, Skull Island Reign of Terror, Jurassic Park, Minions and the Horror Makeup show where I met this fab guy - Beetlejuice. We also came across Marilyn Monroe.
IMG_0240.jpeg
image0.jpeg

next Volcano Bay.

Wicked Sisters

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
12th September

The day we’ve both been so looking forward to. Yes, we had a great week at Universal with a lovely hotel but it was our 2 weeks at WDW that had really bought us here. Rather than a transfer organised by Virgin holidays, and after reading in your trip reports about using Uber or Lyft, we decided to transfer with Uber to French Quarter. We didn’t see the point in wasting time and ordered it for 9.30am and couldn’t believe it when 20mins later we were entering the resort gates.
Our lovely driver, Julian probably thought he had 2 excited kids in the back of his car instead of a couple of 60+ year old ladies. Check in was quick and we were also given badges as we were celebrating our retirement. We couldn’t believe our room was ready so early and in building 3, close to everything in the resort. Nice to know this was our home for 2 weeks.
IMG_0352.jpeg
IMG_0357.jpeg
We loved this room just as we had seen in other trip report photos.

After doing our unpacking, we had decided to get the boat to Disney Springs and have a look around. DS seems so much bigger now from what we remember from years ago. This time we just looked around the bigger Disney shops, bought some gifts, had lunch at Earl of Sandwich and caught the boat back to FQ. We then went to Epcot for a few hours in the late afternoon.
IMG_0304.jpeg
Another fave ride of ours.
Next stop, Connections Cafe for our iced latte and to try the Cronut, which we shared and wished we hadn’t ! It was delicious, but next time, no sharing. Next up was Figment, always fun and then onto the Land for Soarin. We had great seats so there was very little distortion on the screen. Popped into Creations ( we love shopping ) then made our way back to FQ. It’s a big day tomorrow, our 1st to MK in many years and we couldn’t imagine how we would feel when first walking in.

13th September

What a great day this would be. Just had a light breakfast as we have an 11.40am appointment with a certain Beast at Be Our Guest. Just going through the tapstiles was exciting but to walk through the tunnel to Main Street with that beautiful sight of the castle in the distance made us so emotional. So wonderful. It was almost time for rope drop but we just couldn’t bring ourselves to rush through Main Street as this was something to take in slowly. It was as we remembered but with just little changes. We were so happy to be back.
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Having photos taken down Main Street was a much, so we joined the small queue.

Wicked Sisters

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
We have always had these photos taken and have collected many since our first visit in 1980 and occasionally take them all out to look at, which is fun as memories come flooding back.
We had intended to do 7DMT first before the standby lane got too long but having got delayed down Main Street it was already a 65min wait. As Small World was a walk on we did this instead.
image0.jpeg
Then onto Peter Pan, which was still quite a wait but a great ride. Thought we’d do HM next but the app. indicated it was down so did Pirates next instead. One ride we hadn’t done in more than 25 years was the Tiki room, so off we went to be entertained and for some a/c. It was better than we remembered.
We were getting closer to our ADR but still had time to get over to Tomorrowland for a ride on our 2nd fave, Peoplemover. We then made our way to Fantasyland for Be Our Guest. We only had a short wait to be seated and was very happy that our table was in the ballroom.
IMG_0319.jpeg
Our server Jon was very attentive and happy to know that we were celebrating our retirement after seeing our badges. We were impressed with the ballroom, especially when the Beast made an entrance.
image3.jpeg

Unfortunately the food was not as good as expected. We started with the French onion soup which was way too salty.
image1.jpeg

For our Mains we both had the chicken which was partly overdone.
image2.jpeg

We did love the 3 little desserts.
IMG_0321.jpeg

Our server Jon also bought out a special Mickey dessert to celebrate.
IMG_0322.jpeg

I must say I really like this grey stuff.
We were happy that we experienced this restaurant but probably won’t do it again.

After our visit with the Beast we decided as the app. showed a 20min wait for HM we would go there next.
IMG_0327.jpeg

We joined the queue, it was actually a 60mins wait instead but looked like it was slowly moving. A kind lady in front of us lent us an umbrella while we were in full sunshine, which was so kind and as we got chatting it turned out that she is a Cast Member who works at Epcot. We found her stories about working at WDW very entertaining and this made our wait go much faster. Before we knew it we were on our number 1 fave ride, which is as great as it’s always been. After this we went to Main Street for a bit of shopping. While C was in Main Street Confectionary she chose a very large Mickey shaped Halloween Cookie decorated in purple icing with black webbing. When she went to pay the server spotted her Celebration badge & gifted it to us. We found that throughout this vacay, the badges bought a lot of congratulations from so many CM and visitors and sometimes little gifts. They all made us feel very special.
We then made our way back to FQ for a bit of pool time. We had already decided that since we’re at WDW for 14 nights with a 14 day ticket we needn’t do full days at any of the parks and instead just do everything at a more leisurely pace. Doing this enabled us to enjoy this vacation much more and to cope with the heat.

14th September

Today we had decided to visit some of the resorts. This is when you realise how great the Disney transport system is. We love it. After getting our bus to MK we decided to catch one of the ferry boats over to TTC to then take the monorail for a return ride to Epcot ( we love the ride ). Well when the ferry arrived, masses of people got off for the park and would you believe we were the only 2 getting on for the return journey to TTC and nobody got on after us. I believe this is a Shirley Status and wished I’d taken a photo. After our Epcot trip we walked from TTC to the Poly and stopped for hot tea.
IMG_0339.jpeg
Then using the monorail we next visited the Grand Floridian for a look around.
IMG_0344.jpeg
Then it was to a hotel that we had in mind for our next vacation here in 2 years time, The Wilderness Lodge. After catching the boat back to MK we quickly caught the one to the Lodge and after walking into the lobby and being wowed by this sight, Wilderness Lodge it is for our next visit.

Wicked Sisters

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
IMG_0349.jpeg

After reading so many fab reports and seeing lots of photos, we just had to see it for ourselves before booking a stay here. Cost was a big factor and we wanted to make sure it was well worth it. Wilderness Lodge wins hands down ! Since hunger pangs had started, we decided to visit Roaring Fork for lunch.
image2.jpeg

C had the Tuna salad sandwich and I had the Turkey sandwich, both with chips. Delicious and filling. I had noticed the Blueberry Muffins, so got 2 to go as we couldn’t leave without them. After this we caught the bus back to MK and then our own to the FQ. After taking a short rest, we went on the lovely walk along the Sassagoula river to Riverside for a look around. We can understand why people like it here too.
IMG_0362.jpeg
IMG_0363.jpeg

It started raining later so we called it a day. It’s Hollywood Studios tomorrow and hoping to bag a lightning lane for Rise.

Wicked Sisters

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
15th September

At 7.10am I managed to get us a Lightning Lane for Rise at 11.45. Went into the Hollywood Studios early and rode MMRR a great ride.
IMG_0365.jpeg

Then walked over to spend time at Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge. Couldn’t believe Rise was only a 35min wait so thought we’d give it a try even though we’d booked.I was so excited to experience this ride and loved it as did C until towards the end when nausea kicked in for her.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

C decided that she couldn’t do the ride again and since we’d now done it anyway, had the ILL refunded which was so easy to do. We enjoyed looking around Galaxy Edge and took in the many sights.
IMG_0369.jpeg
IMG_0372.jpeg
IMG_0371.jpeg

Our next stop was Slinky Dog Dash, a ride for me but not C. Even with a 70min standby wait she was quite happy to wander around while I did the ride.
IMG_0379.jpeg

C also got these guys.
image2.jpeg

At this time we started to really struggle with the heat so decided on an early lunch at the Backlot Express. It was so busy but at least we had lunch, and ice cold drink and more importantly A/C. Afterwards we had a good look around the shops down both Sunset and Hollywood Boulevard and then decided with the heat we needed some pool time, so back to FQ.

Our meal this evening would be at DS and at one of our favourites, Cooke’s of Dublin for fish & chips. They were delicious just like last time. Then after another browse around the shops, back onto our boat for FQ, a journey we always enjoyed.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpeg
    IMG_0365.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 40
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 46

Laurenciaa

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom