Handyman Help!?

Launchpad

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Long story short there was some drunken dancing (the running man to be exact) going on in the home today and a hole about, oh, heel size was put in the wall of our kitchen. I looked online to see how to repair it without spending much money. It says it's fairly simple but then one goes on to say that I need to cut out a larger area around the damage, put a tin lid behind the wall, bring it forward, put stuff over it, and so on and so forth. Doesn't sound very simple to me.

I don't know much about handywork so I'm asking my Disney friends. What is the easy and cheap way to repair a 3" hole in the wall? About how much should it cost?

Now my advice. Don't stand within 3 feet of a wall, while watching the Grammy's, after eight Miller Lites. Oops.

no2apprentice

I've seen this technique done on TV home shows, I've never done it, but it sounds like a good alternative to using the tin lid method.

Get a thin slat of wood that is longer than the width of the hole, but not too long to prevent it from being inserted into the hole. Put a really strong glue on the parts of the wood that are going to touch the inside of the drywall after the slat is inserted. Have an inflated and tied off balloon ready, that has been blown up enough to fit in between the wood slat and the wall behind the wall with the hole. The purpose of the balloon is to keep pressure on the slat until the glue dries and the slat stays in place. Cut out a piece of drywall to fit inside the hole, leaving as little space as possible between the edges. Repair with tape and mud (joint compound). The balloon will eventually lose it's integrity and either deflate or pop.

I hope all that made sense.

"Friends don't let friends drink and dance.":lol:

Cliffordsmon

Go to Home Depot or Lowes. In the paint department where the spackle is there will be Patch kits. Some resemble a flat mesh screen that comes with adhesive on the back. All you have to do is attach the screen over the hole and then spackle over the screen. Let the spackle dry and then paint over. It is a simple repair.

jesserin

Go to Home Depot or Lowes. In the paint department where the spackle is there will be Patch kits. Some resemble a flat mesh screen that comes with adhesive on the back. All you have to do is attach the screen over the hole and then spackle over the screen. Let the spackle dry and then paint over. It is a simple repair.

Launch Pad you are a dork. :lol: But I love ya. ;) All I have to say is those girls better be okay after all your shennanigans. ;)

In the mean time... Clifford'smom is right on the money. :) Fix it before the apt people see it though!

Launchpad

Account Suspended
Original Poster
The size is smaller than an egg and isn't a full-blown hole. Its basically a big dent. I could push it in but it seems like the dry wall is barely holding on so it blocks you from being able to see into it. It's really not as bad as I originally thought. I'm almost wondering if I can even put caulk or whatever they use to plug up nail holes in walls and just sand it down since it isn't so big. :lol: I obviously know nothing about repairing things, but I'm fantastic at damage.

How much is the patch kit going to run me?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The patch kits do work very well. I've used them many times.

I've had to cut holes in drywall in churches to pull wire, and the church never knew, when I got through!

no2apprentice

The size is smaller than an egg and isn't a full-blown hole. Its basically a big dent.

Okay, when I posted this morning I got the impression the hole was much larger. If the above description is accurate, you might be able to do the job with just some spackle. The problem with spackle is that if it's too deep, it could crack after drying.

Play it safe, use the patch kit. "Do it right, do it once."

And remember, it's "one, two, three, KICK" not "one, two, three, SMASH.":lol:

bsandersjr

If the hole is not that deep, you can either fill it with spackle, or sheetrock mud.

After the patch job dries up, sand it down with a fine sandpaper to even it out with the wall.

Just make sure you give it about a full day to dry properly.

If the filler develops surface cracks, get some white caulk, and fill the cracks in by hand with the caulk, and sand it again.

The only problem you may run into is that if your walls are textured, the patch job may not match the rest of the wall. Plus, if the walls are white or painted a color, the color may be off a bit.

Cliffordsmon

How much is the patch kit going to run me?[/QUOTE]

It's been a year since I used one but depending the size mesh you need, I would say less than $10.00.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Launchpad

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I fixed it. Unless you know its there you can't really see it. It cost me $10 for some spackle, putty knife and sandpaper. It was about a 15 minute project. It's not a great job but it works find for what it is. If it was a house I owned I would have definitely put more effort into making sure it was perfect, but since its just an apartment I'm not too picky. It's also at my ankle so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Remember...
Nine beers plus dancing equals no bueno.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I fixed it. Unless you know its there you can't really see it. It cost me $10 for some spackle, putty knife and sandpaper. It was about a 15 minute project. It's not a great job but it works find for what it is. If it was a house I owned I would have definitely put more effort into making sure it was perfect, but since its just an apartment I'm not too picky. It's also at my ankle so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Remember...
Nine beers plus dancing equals no bueno.

:eek: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom