Halloween Event for MGM Studios in 2006?

Legacy

speck76 said:
But put yourself into the shoes of the average "idiot tourist with a high feeling of entitlement" for a moment.....I paid $60 to get into the park today, and THEY are telling me I can't take my kid on this attraction.....whine/complain/grumble.....

THAT was the problem with AE... many guests feel like they do not "get their money's worth" if they don't ride everything....which is pretty dumb IMO.
Those same idiot tourists would go to an event like this just because it's there.

Brad, I would love to see this happen just as much as the next guy. I would love to see a PotC Haunted House, a HalloweenTown Walkthrough and a House of Villians. I have had dreams of a nightmarish version of MGM that rivals HHN in sheer terror... but I can't help but think that an event like this just might jump and bite Disney in the rear simply because an event like this, no matter how it's marketed, would still bring in the wrong audience because it's Disney.

(Although in a perfect world this event would take place in the Magic Kingdom. Pirates take over AdventureLand, Ghost take over FrontierLand and Liberty Square, Villians take over FantasyLand and Aliens (Stitch's cousins, actually) take over TomorrowLand.)

imagineersrock

I don't think we will EVER see a HHN-style event at Disney.

The origional post (the screamscape rumor) sounds much more believable, and sounds like it could actually be a great event. I think they could do some awesome things to the Disney-MGM studios with light, fog, and other FX... especially the streets of America and Sunset Blvd with ToT being the main event, ofcourse.

Chape19714

I think it's a very good Idea...but Disney would be very careful about it. Again, being Disney, Kids are going to be there...but what aged kids? Maybe an event like this would do better with an age limit, like PI. It wouldn't be 21, but at least 10 to keep the other kids out. Yes, you're going to have people who cheat the system and get 8 year olds in, but then they are at fault, as the party was reserved for guest 10 and up. A Hieght requirement would be easier to enforce, but would leave many guest confused as to how a park has a hieght requirement. I would love to see an event like the one described, aimed with a terror level between MNSSHP and HHN, but a bit more on the HHN side.

sgmco

Count me in favor of a Disney Villains/ Nightmare-style Halloween event! (As you can see by my avatar:fork: ). I like Mickey's Not So Scary, but it tends to be a bit "child-centric", whereas, an MGM party would be a great chance to create more of a party atmosphere for older (teen and up) folks--think more "Mardi Gras" and less "HHN". Maybe they could also set up a temp. stage in front of the Socerer's Hat, and bring in some "name" bands on certain nights?

Attendance might not be problem, since you have a large contingent of adults here for the Food And Wine Festival (esp. DVC members). This can also be used as a way to funnel people away from Pleasure Island, since they will undoubtedly be in the midst of their rennovation, and probably won't have the West End Stage to entertain with. Sure parents will bring their kids, (they bring them to the clubs at PI all the time!), but, again this wouldn't be as frightening as HHN, just not as cute as MNSSH.

Finally, this would be a great way to counter Universal's latest advertising. If you haven't seen it, there is a really funny TV ad, where a 10-12 year old girl is standing in front of the Hulk coaster and deadpans, "If I have to hug one more Princess, I'll vomit!".:lol:

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I actually did hear about a possible Nightmare BC themed event at MGM for Halloween last year. I hope that they do go ahead with it. I will be there if they do.

Pam

Logan5

mgms Halloween

People seem concerned that disney wont be able to "compete" with universals HHN....

The fact is disney doest have to compete, they can make something different.. A halloween event for those people who prefer atmosphere to just chainsaws and gore...

A more intelligent horror event.....

You would think that universal with there giant archive of classic horror monsters and amazing horror gore movies could come up with something more then Fear Factor Haunted house... But they dont.

Dont get me wrong i love horror, but what makes Horror truly exciting and provacative is atmosphere....

Imagine disney mgms haunted hollywood.....

The possobilities are endless, and it doesnt have to be the same thing as halloween horror nights...
if the hours are good and the setup is great. i think disney could have something realy cool....

drew81

I went to the special event at Disneyland in 2001 for the Haunted Mansion Holiday. All the NBC characters were in a show led by Jack. It was excellent.

I would love to see special events step up and do this. And if they do it I want some different Disney villians there than MNSSHP. For ex: Rattigan, Hades, Hyenas, Lady Tremaine etc

mkepcotmgmak

oooh! you know what i see as being a HUGE part of this - (even though they work MNSS too...)
The Disney-MGM Studios Streetmosphere Cast!!!

Teenchy

clarkstallings said:
There aren't any unused soundstages. Mickey meet and greet takes up stage 1. Millionaire uses Stages 2 and 3. Narnia is in the other stage. I can't remember if it is 4 or not.

I love Narnia but by Halloween 06 they could use that space.

I would love something a little more "adult" than MNSSHP. And not to make it a booze fest but like on the nights of Osbourne lights we usually buy one of the mixed drinks with a lite up cube and stroll around MGM. I think that would also work for a Halloween event. I think Disney could do it right!

Plus with more Halloween threads we could add some blood and use this Icon more often!:hammer:

JT3000

Logan5 said:
People seem concerned that disney wont be able to "compete" with universals HHN....

The fact is disney doest have to compete, they can make something different.. A halloween event for those people who prefer atmosphere to just chainsaws and gore...

A more intelligent horror event.....

You would think that universal with there giant archive of classic horror monsters and amazing horror gore movies could come up with something more then Fear Factor Haunted house... But they dont.

Dont get me wrong i love horror, but what makes Horror truly exciting and provacative is atmosphere....

Imagine disney mgms haunted hollywood.....

The possobilities are endless, and it doesnt have to be the same thing as halloween horror nights...
if the hours are good and the setup is great. i think disney could have something realy cool....

Have you even been to HHN? It certainly wouldn't seem like it. HHN has plenty of atmosfear. You have to actually open your eyes to see it. You want intelligence? Just this past year, HHN had the most complex backstory of any Halloween event ever. To say it's nothing more than gore and chainsaws is to ignorantly over-simplify a very large production that they start planning an entire year in advance. And even insinuating that Fear Factor, the single worst haunted house in HHN history, is the best it has to offer is completely ludicrous. You obviously hold something against the event, and very possibly Universal in general, but you don't have to make yourself sound utterly ignorant as a result.

Legacy

JT3000 said:
Have you even been to HHN? It certainly wouldn't seem like it. HHN has plenty of atmosfear. You have to actually open your eyes to see it. You want intelligence? Just this past year, HHN had the most complex backstory of any Halloween event ever. To say it's nothing more than gore and chainsaws is to ignorantly over-simplify a very large production that they start planning an entire year in advance. And even insinuating that Fear Factor, the single worst haunted house in HHN history, is the best it has to offer is completely ludicrous. You obviously hold something against the event, and very possibly Universal in general, but you don't have to make yourself sound utterly ignorant as a result.
Give Fear Factor a bit of credit... it wasn't the worst house ever. Diso was really bad, and from what I hear Cold Blind Terror claims the title of Worst House Ever.

Nothing will ever beat the original ScreamHouse though... :D

JT3000

Fish pillows.... FISH PILLOWS!!! Yeah, Diso and CBT were both awful. CBT's extremely long length made it even worse, because it was too much of a bad thing. I still give the honor to Fear Factor though, simply because I got a good scare in CBT, while I got none in Fear Factor.

Scream House was a masterpiece. It can't be touched, although Vampyr was a valiant effort.

Legacy

JT3000 said:
Fish pillows.... FISH PILLOWS!!! Yeah, Diso and CBT were both awful. CBT's extremely long length made it even worse, because it was too much of a bad thing. I still give the honor to Fear Factor though, simply because I got a good scare in CBT, while I got none in Fear Factor.

Scream House was a masterpiece. It can't be touched, although Vampyr was a valiant effort.
Did you check out ScreamScape about HHN this year though? One of the concepts is a return of Jack, Albert Cane and Polan Romanski with the three of them running the park.

I would be all for it, as long as the third ScreamHouse is more like the original. The second one was just awful.

JT3000

I don't like the idea at all. I much prefer originality. They shouldn't really fall back on old icon characters, unless it's an anniversary year like the 20th or 25th. Right now, I'd much rather see new ones. Besides, Horror Nights Nightmares turned out pretty badly. The only icon that might make a somewhat interesting "return" is Eddie, since that never fully panned out.

I thought Scream House Revisited was a good house. I don't like sequels in general, but it was still a high quality house IMO. And it really wasn't that different from the first. The scenes were just in a different order. The only major aspect it was missing was the awesome queue video. Although, I thought it was a major mistake to place the Caretaker at the beginning of the house. It killed the suspense quickly. They added him to the end of the house towards the end of the run, but then it just looked weird seeing two different people playing the same character in one house.

JimboJones123

what would families do -- it will never happen if scary. if this was DL and the locals had more of a presence at the parks, they could pull this off, but at WDW, why would they close down a park so that families couldn't attend. they are already offering half days for many days at MK, MGM and Epcot are the only full time parks, it would really suck for vacationers to shut another park down for special events.

Legacy

JT3000 said:
I don't like the idea at all. I much prefer originality. They shouldn't really fall back on old icon characters, unless it's an anniversary year like the 20th or 25th. Right now, I'd much rather see new ones. Besides, Horror Nights Nightmares turned out pretty badly. The only icon that might make a somewhat interesting "return" is Eddie, since that never fully panned out.

I thought Scream House Revisited was a good house. I don't like sequels in general, but it was still a high quality house IMO. And it really wasn't that different from the first. The scenes were just in a different order. The only major aspect it was missing was the awesome queue video. Although, I thought it was a major mistake to place the Caretaker at the beginning of the house. It killed the suspense quickly. They added him to the end of the house towards the end of the run, but then it just looked weird seeing two different people playing the same character in one house.
Honestly, I think three things killed ScreamHouse revisited. One was having the Caretaker at the beginning. Two was the smaller, nowhere near as impressive kitchen scene, and three was the loss of the catacombs (if you don't remember the story, the catacombs in the original were the pitch black section where everyone would get lost...). I have a concept for HHN that has actually been submitted as part of my resume, so I'm sitting back and waiting to see if that pans out.

Just look for the title, "Grip of Fear".

ral8026

I don't mean to be rude:fork: , universal has it's own boards. This board is for Disney.:wave: The info you gave about HHN was interesting but the topic was Halloween @ Disney Studios Thanks;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom