Hall Of Presidents update

Astronaut Jones

kcnole said:
necroing a thread is common slang on internet message boards for bringing back threads from ages ago. Many sites even have rules that will ban your for necroing. So if it means something else, then my mind just isn't as dirty as yours, but it's a common internet slang in relation to message board posts.

The official term is thread necromancy.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Transwiki:Thread_necromancy

I'm sorry I guess I'm just a "nube".

I do think it's funny however that half of this Hall of Presidents thread is discussing necromancy.

Astronaut Jones

THECARISMINE said:
Wait whats Nube mean do you mean Noob I don't get it :lookaroun

Dammit, I'm such a tool. But in my defense I was called a "nube" playing some videogame at my friends house. Perhaps I was actually playing against a noob who wanted to make himself feel better by hurting others.

MonkeyHeadCup

I think the joke was more topical than it was political - besides, people have made jokes about the president for every president I can remember, and have probably done it for every president we've ever had. It's only the last few years that people get so bent out of shape if you say anything even remotely off color about this current pres. Don't you remember all the old comedic stereotypes of past presidents? Nixon=crook, Ford=Clumsy, Carter=religious rube, reagon=befuddled,Bush1=wimp,Clinton=overeating philanderer... it was all funny and serves an important role in our culture I think - not many other countries get to do this.

With that said - I don't think this is the place for politics either, sorry for the post...

On a side note - I went to MK around the time of this post after the Bush AA was installed, and people booed/cheered clinton and then booed/cheered Bush... I thought it was really sad and it detracted from a great historical attraction

Astronaut Jones

The Hall of Zombie Presidents sounds like the greatest ride idea I've ever heard. Imagine how intense it would be to have like James K. Polk, Jimmy Carter or Taft, definately Taft, attempting to eat our brains.

Dr.Seeker

I still think HOP should be replaced with Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln. That's a great, historical ride.

Updating the HOP with current presidents just detracts from the magic of Disney. All the old presidents are featured because of their contribution to the nation, the likes of which cannot me said for Messers Clinton and Bush.

Anyone agree?

prberk

Dr.Seeker said:
I still think HOP should be replaced with Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln. That's a great, historical ride.

Updating the HOP with current presidents just detracts from the magic of Disney. All the old presidents are featured because of their contribution to the nation, the likes of which cannot me said for Messers Clinton and Bush.

Anyone agree?

All of the presidents had detractors (even duels) in their day. The HoP as it is, is a good tour of history, I think. I am not sure that I like the current presidents speaking (which started with Bill Clinton but continues with Bush), since I like Mr. Lincoln's whole original speech; but I do like having them in the attraction.

Also, I have heard that Walt originally planned to have this kind of attraction after he did Great Moments -- one with all of the presidents. So, this is a fulfillment of that.

A good, slow attraction. And a good, air-conditioned break in the day!

Paul

P.S.: I also like The American Adventure. More stirring than HoP. But I still like HoP.

~LeeLee~

djronnieb said:
So are they going to update George W. Bush now to be swearing at other World Leaders? :lol:

Oh I hope so, and hopefully add some of his best Bushisms like "nookular" and "put food on families", and my personal favorite "It's hard work!!" :lol:

CaptainMichael

I will remind everyone to kindly refrain from political discussion. It can turn ugly in a second and make this a very unmagical and miserable place.

That being said, HoP is one of the hidden gems in MK and all of WDW. Even I fail to give the designers the credit they deserve all of the time. Please put politics aside and enjoy it for what is, an attraction honoring the Presidents of the United States of America. It is something that all Americans should be proud of.

~LeeLee~

STR8FAN2005 said:
an attraction honoring the Presidents of the United States of America. It is something that all Americans should be proud of.

Agreed! Sorry, he's just an easy target and... :zipit:

Tigger1988

Dr.Seeker said:

Anyone agree?

Yea, the redone version at Disneyland is SO much better than sitting through HoP. I'd rather see that in WDW

CoffeeJedi

Astronaut Jones said:
The Hall of Zombie Presidents sounds like the greatest ride idea I've ever heard. Imagine how intense it would be to have like James K. Polk, Jimmy Carter or Taft, definately Taft, attempting to eat our brains.
TAFT HUNGRY!!!!! RAAAAWR!!!
Oh man, that'd be scary... Taft would be like, the big boss Zombie President at the end, and he'd be like 16 feet tall, and bounce around the room, and then like, his head would flash red, and you'd have to shoot it before he jumped on you with his immense girth.

William Marsden

One of my favorite memories at WDW was being at HOP in May of 1995. Everyone cheered during the role call for Reagan and booed LBJ, Carter and Clinton.

Nowadays it would be great if W. could point his finger at that audience and say "Hey, even if you all are conservative you gotta stop doing that ____".

CoffeeJedi

One of my favorite memories at WDW was being at HOP in May of 1995. Everyone cheered during the role call for William Henry Harrison and booed Grover Cleveland. It was AWESOME! Haha, take that you stupid Mugwumps!

William Marsden

Dr.Seeker said:

Anyone agree?

I think there's a problem whenever you look into the political ramifacations of any such attraction. Yes, Lincoln is a safe bet (he was terribly unpopular during his presidency) but if your bringing up "all the old presidents" and thier "contribution to the nation" most historians would have alot of qualms about James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson or Warren G. Harding. William Henry Harrison was president for just a few weeks. Harrison may have made a contribution to the nation but not during his presidency. Where is the cutoff for past presidents vs. current presidents. If you include LBJ, Nixon, Carter or Reagan in past presidents, you have alot of detractors and partisans on both sides who would argue with those presidents respective "contributions to the nation". (Just the other day I saw a bumper sticker that read "Ronald Reagan.... Thank God the bas____d's dead." I was so furious I just about had an accident on the road!)

I think that you have to include all of the presidents or just make the attraction a "Great Moments with Mr. L." show. Personally, I like HOP and I don't think it's wise to exclude anyone just because they may have been a lousy president. I follow politics alot but when I go to WDW I like to just forget about the real world. It really doesn't bother me to see presidents who I consider bad standing alongside presidents who I consider great. I when I see Harding stand up, I like to look at the color of his suit, not think about the Teapot Dome Scandel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom