Half Marathon Recovery

Gabe1124

Original Poster
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what people do to keep their milage up after doing a half. I have been reading some articles but wanted to see what others did as far as starting back running/resting-recovering. Thanks!

LindsayLoves

What kind of mileage are you talking about keeping up?

How you recover is very different from one person to the next. I suggest you listen to your body and see what it wants to do, if you feel like you need to rest then rest, if not ease yourself back into your regular schedule.

Here’s what I do: I will run a half on Saturday, rest and stretch on Sunday and ease back into things with a recovery run (3-4 very easy miles) on Monday and pick up a regular schedule after that if my legs are feeling good after Monday. I have also given myself the week off if I have done a particularly challenging training cycle and I don’t want to think about running for 7 whole days. Again all up to you.

JillC LI

It really depends what kind of base you want to maintain. If I am running a Half, I will gradually increase my weekly mileage to about 25 miles per week before I taper, then after the race I will drop back down to my usual 15-18 mile per week base which I maintain year round until the next race I ramp up mileage for.

fmingo36

I sit on my couch and eat bon-bons :hungry:. jk...in the past, I've taken a week off and then go back to 2-4 miles a couple times a week. I have not been as active in my running this year as I have in the past. I had over a year in between major events.

dreamfinder

As mentioned, it all depends on your goals. Even though I'm spending most of this year working on 5k/10k PRs, I'm still pushing to keep myself at half readiness. When you get to the point where you can crank out a half without much thought, it just becomes another training run with maybe a slight speed/mileage drop for a few days. But if your goal was a half, and you plan on dropping back down to 5k/10k, then most people would suggest a week of rest/cross training, with a bit of drop back or taper on your mileage the following week. But even more than that, depends on what you did at/during the race. Being able to simply complete a race is completely different than cranking something out at a PR pace. If you had been training for a 2:00 half, but then got sick, had cramps, whatever and ran a 2:15, you could do more during that following week than if you had kicked your own butt, and ended up pulling out a 1:58 PR. If you do nothing and take the entire week off, it's not a pretty sight. You definitely need to continue to do something, low impact is fine so bike cross training is great. After Dopey instead of 2 runs/1 bike day I did 3 bike days, and then did lower mileage on my long weekend runs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom