Guest of Honor badge from 1980...

Daniel Johnson

Original Poster
I got my hands on a guest of honor badge, from 1980s, the year I was born. Its one of the first things I've gotten for my newly begun Disney collection.
Can anyone give me any info on this, who had them, why they had them, and what the wearer was entitled to? Just curious of the history!

Attachments

• IMG_20141001_231445.jpg
    IMG_20141001_231445.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 107

Daniel Johnson

Original Poster
Found an older thread about these (I think, no Pictures).
I can't figure out how to delete this from the mobile site...you can delete.
Thank you!

dreamfinder

They gave those out by the bucketload. You basically stopped by, told them the year you were born, and the stuck the year on the "badge" and gave it to you. I seem to recall each family being able to get a free print as well as the badges for everyone. Just something they did to help with the celebration that year.

Nemo14

They gave those out by the bucketload. You basically stopped by, told them the year you were born, and the stuck the year on the "badge" and gave it to you. I seem to recall each family being able to get a free print as well as the badges for everyone. Just something they did to help with the celebration that year.
That was back in the days when they gave things away. I think I have a couple at home without the year on them even.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
It wasn't the year you were born. It was the year you first visited WDW. The badges were part of the 25th anniversary in 1996-97.

And we still have the framed print hanging on a wall in our home.

Daniel Johnson

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I paid 78 cents for it. Not as good as free, but, I think it's cool! Thanks for the info.
I was told on instagram that the 1980 was the guest number. That didn't make sense because there was a bunch of 1978 badges where I got this one. Pretty sure I got the only 1980 they had, and it took thirty minutes to find it.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Thanks guys. I paid 78 cents for it. Not as good as free, but, I think it's cool! Thanks for the info.
I was told on instagram that the 1980 was the guest number. That didn't make sense because there was a bunch of 1978 badges where I got this one. Pretty sure I got the only 1980 they had, and it took thirty minutes to find it.
Just pulled my family's badges out...1972 (me), 1982 (husband), 1986 (son), 1991 (son), 1993 (daughter). The years available to put on your badge were 1971-1997. Again, it was not birth year, but year of first visit.

HRHPrincessAriel

so like the "celebrating" buttons they give out now?

hth1917

It wasn't the year you were born. It was the year you first visited WDW. The badges were part of the 25th anniversary in 1996-97.

And we still have the framed print hanging on a wall in our home.

Yep, I still have mine with 1972 on it. My first visit was in January of 1972 (shortly before my 2nd birthday).

ChubbyK

I still have from the 25TH anniversary year....Mine in from 1971 as my brother and I drove all night to be there on opening day...was withing the first 500 people in the gate ...so many great memories

dreamfinder

so like the "celebrating" buttons they give out now?

Yeah. Except these were more of a foam type material with a harder plasticy front instead of a pinback metal button. But they were an advertised part of the promo, instead of something that started out as a neat way to make people feel special and snowballing into a "gimme gimme" some people have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom