Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizneycrazy09

No, this forum only supports negativity.

This forum supports valid criticisms to decisions made by a company that used to hold it itself to MUCH higher standards. Disney choosing to leave Epcot in a complete state of stagnation does not justify completely blowing up the original vision for the "sake of something new." Those with respected and highly valued opinions on this forum are criticizing this exact point.

Donaldfan1934

I have mixed feelings about GOTG at Epcot (I'd prefer DHS) but I've always thought the planet of Xandar in the movie would look really cool for Epcot's Future World
View attachment 148763
That would be amazing in theme park form. I just wish that Disney could build a MCU land at DHS. I can envision how a GotG section of the land could be used as a great transition point between Marvel land and SWL. But unfortunately, the UNI contract covers everything else and Disney seems to be on a relentless quest to shoehorn GotG, the sole usable element, into whatever space they can.

Last edited:

Phil12

I think that Disney can make great attractions out of GotG. But they are putting one into Tower of Terror at DCA, which doesn't work, because it's a space opera attraction in a classically themed building, and they are apparently now putting one into the theme park that is NOT supposed to be about fantasy, but about the real world. Put GotG into Tomorrowland or DHS, and I'm good. Epcot...this sounds bad.
The Epcot I've always visited has been about one thing, selling sponsorship. Since the big corporate well is starting to go dry, Disney has logically shifted from selling sponsorship to selling its own IP. It's about the real world in the sense that they want to make lots of money and if fantasy will make money, it goes to the top of the list.

GlassHalfFull

Am I the only one who is genuinely excited that Epcot is at least investing in the East side of Future World? Especially when Test Track is down for Reno or down for maint during a regular day.. Many regulars simply skip that side of the front of the park..

Not saying I am so excited for GotG.. But at this point Disney is still the best place in the world for full immersion theming so its not like they will just slap it in there.. Whether people wanted Frozen or not, they rethemed Norway to really fit the Story.. Didnt just slap Frozen into the space without updating the pavilion as a whole.. Give it time people.. Maybe it will blow our socks off.. Having a land/sea side.. And then a space and..... Road(TT)? Side.. I think could really work well.. At least I'll give my favorite Imagineering company the benefit of the doubt before I write it off.. I for one am very interested in what any plans would be.. If we can't have Tony Stark refurb for Universe of Energy at least they are potentially showing a recognition of need on that side..

phi2134

Curious if they would keep the theme of energy conservation/save the planet...along with the GOTG overlay. I still dont like the thought of putting them there, but say you had a ride that focused on the earth/energy being led by guardians of the galaxy, that might save it a tiny bit.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The Epcot I've always visited has been about one thing, selling sponsorship.
I am sorry for you. Most of us have visited an Epcot where sponsorship existed, but didn't overwhelm everything else. Indeed, I think Disney did a great job of providing great content that was entertaining and intellectual, despite sponsorship.

Except the WoM/Test Track post-show, which has always been about sponsorship.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Curious if they would keep the theme of energy conservation/save the planet...along with the GOTG overlay. I still dont like the thought of putting them there, but say you had a ride that focused on the earth/energy being led by guardians of the galaxy, that might save it a tiny bit.
A tiny bit, although then it would be clear that the GotG theming was simply a marketing matter, and not necessary to the attraction, other than in getting its budget approved.

ctrlaltdel

While I'm worried about the loss of theme coherency by shoehorning GOTG into Epcot, I'm also worried that you may also compromise the essence of GOTG by shoehorning Epcot into GOTG. While I believe most would think the former is worse, the latter could really limit the potential of GOTG Land.

lebeau

While I'm worried about the loss of theme coherency by shoehorning GOTG into Epcot, I'm also worried that you may also compromise the essence of GOTG by shoehorning Epcot into GOTG. While I believe most would think the former is worse, the latter could really limit the potential of GOTG Land.

That's a good point. I don't want to see the Guardians trying to teach me about energy. That's not what they do.

I am not a Future World fan. It to me is kind of a mish mash of things with no real direction overall. I just go on the rides and try not to figure out what the reasoning is otherwise it would give me a headache.

georgecarlin.jpg

aladdin2007

why would guardians need two attractions/two pavilions though? are they hurting that much for something to work with? So the main one is coming to Energy, but why cant something different be done with WOL? Why do both need to be guardians themed? Or is it more of raise both pavilions and just put one giant attraction there?

HiYa Pal

The direction is if there's no corporate sponsors, then it's "IP sponsors." Which could potentially encourage sponsorship in order to avoid diluting cultural representations in the World Showcase, but I'm afraid that means nothing is off limits in FW.

While I don't love the idea of GOTG in FW, I can see some potential, but what's bugging me the most is there would then be multiple space themed pavilions, and while there's still some elements ( some extremely faint elements) of edutainment in all the updates in FW, what is a wholly fictional world going to teach us about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom