Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_L_Raptor

The concept art makes TSL look like an amputation has occurred

I'm wondering more about the putative Guardians in Epcot project, although TSL getting hacked up doesn't surprise me. (Slashes in TDO projects probably shouldn't surprise anyone...)

clemmo

I'm wondering more about the putative Guardians in Epcot project, although TSL getting hacked up doesn't surprise me. (Slashes in TDO projects probably shouldn't surprise anyone...)
Not surprising just disappointing. As for GOTG in Epcot I doubt it could've gotten that much of a budget slashing yet I didn't even think it was green lit yet. Once it gets green lit and announced then I'm sure the slashing will continue.

KikoKea

Why doesn't Disney simply wait on a land until they can cough up the money to do a land they way it should be? It wouldn't hurt to delay TSL, or any other, for a year. Better to do it right than have a poor version that leaves visitors wishing for better.

V_L_Raptor

Not surprising just disappointing. As for GOTG in Epcot I doubt it could've gotten that much of a budget slashing yet I didn't even think it was green lit yet. Once it gets green lit and announced then I'm sure the slashing will continue.

At this point, the slashing would still happen, but informally and on the way to the green light (and, I presume, formal slashing). I suspect it's a little like the grant negotiation process, although I could be wrong.

"Hey, what you've got listed here for this part of the attraction might be a little high, I'm not sure we can approve that... Could you send us back another budget narrative with a little lower price? You know, using <insert contractor here>?"
"This part doesn't quite jibe with what you had in the concept art and the attraction description. Are you sure it would be this expensive?"
"This isn't an approved contractor anymore. Here, use this other one's price sheet."
"We don't feel like retrofitting the building to use that kind of lighting. Do you think you could pare down the lighting F/X before we send over the final approval?"
"Yeah, those animatronics are going to need to be replaced, so you might want to lose these other bits at the end of the ride to pay for it."
"Couldn't you just use screens for this part, that part, and that other part over there?"

BrerJon

Why doesn't Disney simply wait on a land until they can cough up the money to do a land they way it should be? It wouldn't hurt to delay TSL, or any other, for a year. Better to do it right than have a poor version that leaves visitors wishing for better.

The trouble is 'the way it should be' differs depending on who you talk to. The purpose of building the attraction is to achieve a specific business objective - be it crowd distribution, extra attendance, merchandise sales... as long as that's achieved, it's a success. The question becomes what is the minimum budget they can spend but still achieve those effects.

You may think a cut back version is 'a poor version', but if it makes the same impact on the bottom line as a more satisfactory one, it's a smash hit in Disney's eyes, and it makes no sense for them to waste money building something more ambitious.

lazyboy97o

Disney today has the funds. That really is not the issue. Themed entertainment projects tend to go off the rails in terms of costs because they are unique, one-off projects. Cost estimating for construction is all based on previous projects, but there is a lot of educated guessing involved. Constantly reworking into serious detail over and over again is also going to increase costs. This is all stuff that will remain in play no matter how much of Disney's bloat gets removed.

Haymarket2008

How recent has the thought been for Guardians to potentially take over Energy? A year ago, when reported funds were allocated to Epcot, was this on the table? Or was it something entirely different coming to the attraction?

Bocabear

I wish they would delay TSL for like 30 years...lol and just come up with a new fresh idea instead of a rehash of something done for another park....that wasn't actually that great there either...

DinoInstitute

I wish they would delay TSL for like 30 years...lol and just come up with a new fresh idea instead of a rehash of something done for another park....that wasn't actually that great there either...
At this point, honestly, why bother with TSL :p I assume it was chosen because it would be a really quick way to add a cheaper land, but we are still 2 years away from it.

doctornick

At this point, honestly, why bother with TSL :p I assume it was chosen because it would be a really quick way to add a cheaper land, but we are still 2 years away from it.

I agree with you on how long it is taking. But if not TSL, then something else would be needed. Heck, I would argue that DHS still needs quite a bit more than what has been planned, especially if the crowds come for Star Wars as you might expect.

I hope that there is a proper "Phase 3" that gets started after SW opens -- either in the Echo Lake or the Animation Courtyard area (would likely require tearing down the IJ stunt show for the former or the Animation Bldg (Launch Bay) for the latter and you can make arguments that the park needs them open for now given the current attraction capacity).

doctornick

Could you add:
Stitch replacement
FrontierLand Ride
Wishes Replacement
Illuminations redo

All scheduled prior to the 50th?

Anything else I am forgetting?

The Frontierland ride that @whylightbulb talked about is apparently not happening. But that doesn't mean that something else might not be developed for MK.

Personally, I'd like to see them go full on nostalgia for the 50th and build some version of Marc Davis' Western River Expedition.

Cesar R M

The trouble is 'the way it should be' differs depending on who you talk to. The purpose of building the attraction is to achieve a specific business objective - be it crowd distribution, extra attendance, merchandise sales... as long as that's achieved, it's a success. The question becomes what is the minimum budget they can spend but still achieve those effects.

You may think a cut back version is 'a poor version', but if it makes the same impact on the bottom line as a more satisfactory one, it's a smash hit in Disney's eyes, and it makes no sense for them to waste money building something more ambitious.
Dont you miss when America was about breaking the limits, going further than the "others" (aka Russia and China), build with no boundaries and challenge for the sake of adventure, ego and advancement?
now its all "nah,to expensive..better do TAX CUTS or BUYBACKS!!!!"

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but I'm not going to read 142 pages of comments, looking for one answer... do we know when, in September, that Ellen's Energy Adventure is expected to close? Or is Disney still gauging fan interest in keeping it, so there's no solid date?

RoysCabin

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but I'm not going to read 142 pages of comments, looking for one answer... do we know when, in September, that Ellen's Energy Adventure is expected to close? Or is Disney still gauging fan interest in keeping it, so there's no solid date?

If I've read things correctly (and I could be wrong), there's no set date for closure just yet, but it also doesn't sound like fan interest is really going to be a driving factor, here. They want Guardians in the parks in some way, shape, or form, and they'll do it by hook or by crook, so if Studios doesn't work it's going to be EPCOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom