1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardians of the Galaxy attraction confirmed for Epcot

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by wdwmagic, Jul 15, 2017.

1. LieutLaww

LieutLaww Underwater Basket Weaver Premium Member

Why ? Because it will bring people into the park and as they own they IP they want to maximise the use of it, just because you don't like the franchise doesn't mean there wont be a huge demand for this kind of stuff, whether it fits in the park or not, this is the way both Disney and Universal are going.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    TWSITT, EricsBiscuit, Mike S and 3 others like this.
  2. Jenny72

Jenny72 Member

Well, to clarify I do actually know why. (It was more of a rhetorical question. :)) I just view this direction as much more oriented towards short-term profits rather than longevity. But it's true that nearly all companies operate this way now. It's about making the stockholders profits, even if it eventually damages the company, the quality of the product, etc. Disney is just doing what everyone else is. I think there are some of us who would have liked to believe otherwise.

The Empress Lilly likes this.
  3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Well-Known Member

Ok, have fun.

4. njDizFan

njDizFan Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of this self referential classic Epcot backstory. It's a lazy way to incorporate a thrill ride and blend it with nostalgia. If you are going to change the mission of the park and dilute the pavilions to push your movie franchises let's not pretend and give us this wink of sentimentality. Epcot is not a theme. " human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all." is a theme.

5. egg

egg Well-Known Member

It is a trend.

New IPs have to originate from somewhere. The thought that they should only originate from a movie is a mental deficiency. It simply makes no sense. Why are the studios allowed to create original movies like Zootopia, but other parts of the company like theme parks, video games, etc. cannot do the same anymore? Their last big original endeavors (Expedition Everest, Where's My Water?) were very successful.

Theme park rides have led to movies, video games have led to theme park rides, and continue to do so (Jungle Cruise movie, Nintendo Land). It's healthy for IPs to originate in a variety of places, as they have throughout our entire history.

The current attitude toward theme parks will get tired. I just hope, in the meantime, they don't drive themselves into too deep a hole.

6. HatboxGhostbuster

HatboxGhostbuster Well-Known Member

7. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

I don't like it either. I also don't like it for Mission Breakout either, but when you have Disneylander's think it's "cute" Rocket refers to seeing Disneyland ... sigh, it just validates them continuing to do it. They think it makes it OK but it doesn't.

cheezbat and njDizFan like this.
  8. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Agreed, but "IP" doesn't mean bad. They've just failed to implement them properly. If Ratatouille and Guardians didn't have a movie attached to them the attitude would be different (and just to remind people I've said Guardians is going in the wrong park. Frozen didn't belong in Norway. Nemo was a poor use ...). I think they can do both (their own IPs and incorporate popular franchises) but they aren't.

It's just funny how adverse some are to "IP" and they've turned it into a dirty word.

brb1006 likes this.
  9. MaximumEd

MaximumEd Well-Known Member

It's only turned into a dirty word because Disney seems to be so short sighted with their use lately.

teruterubouzu, EPICOT and brb1006 like this.
  10. The_Jobu

The_Jobu Well-Known Member

I agree.

11. trainplane3

trainplane3 Well-Known Member

Rode UoE today. I think it's hilarious how there's no more Ellen or snake dinosaur AA in the ride. That scene is just sad. Has the audio, but nothing else.

TP2000 and cheezbat like this.
  12. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Typo on my part. And no it doesn't have to be. At least to me. Unfortunately so far the implementation of IPs isn't how it should be and they've been done poorly. I understand why people feel how they feel, and especially shoving IPs into Epcot. But we've down this same discussion road before.

Goob likes this.
  13. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

I agree with this and have said as much. But the idea that IP alone is bad doesn't work for me. The implementation has been bad. It doesn't have to be.

MaximumEd likes this.
  14. HatboxGhostbuster

HatboxGhostbuster Well-Known Member

Sadly, IP has become such a blanket and frankly "dirty" term lately, and its all because of a continued misinterpretation of what it means. By definition, anything that exists in the parks, whether originally conceived by Imagineers or based on a movie property IS an IP.

I agree that the implementation is where things go wrong. Guardians in Epcot (and TOT) and Frozen in Norway all reek of quick solutions to the "problem" of "we have a hot franchise on our hands, where can we shove it in as quick as possible?"

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    brb1006 and Kman101 like this.
  15. The_Jobu

The_Jobu Well-Known Member

I know, just having fun. ;)

Kman101 likes this.
  16. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

I know lol. I laughed.

The_Jobu likes this.
  17. jhendrix

jhendrix Well-Known Member

No, sorry, my post was confusing. The paragraph I quoted from Marvel Wiki was Star Lord's original backstory. It wasn't Epcot specifically, but some generic amusement park.

But as Marvel does when they adapt the comics into movie form, they also take the general ideas from the origin story and add new specifics. That seems to be what Marvel/Disney will be doing for GOTG in Epcot.

Epcot makes sense with Star Lord's origin story. However, Star Lord doesn't make sense for Epcot.

In other words, if they were to make a movie/One-Shot or new comic where Quill actually visited Epcot, that would make sense in the MCU. But to put a ride featuring the Guardians in Epcot, does not make sense.

The Empress Lilly and EPICOT like this.
  18. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

This is illuminating...

And..

TP2000 likes this.
  19. Mewshuji

Mewshuji Active Member

I've been thinking about the earlier question regarding the "canonicity" of the attraction and I think the simple answer is- it's yet another seperate verse. Supposing M:B at DCA is a good idea of what to expect regarding story, it's likely that it's just, in the theme parks "verse", the Guardians of the Galaxy are more similar to their movie versions, but also borrow from the comics. For instance, the Collector actually still has a collection, Cosmo seems to be a part of their group, and Mantis is only a friend of Rocket's rather than a part of the group as she seems to become by the end of GotG2.

20. aladdin2007

aladdin2007 Well-Known Member

agree....but I just hope whatever the title is of the new attraction its better than the six flags sounding mission breakout. Please Disney do something better here! Guardians of Energy please! :) And I will miss the soundtrack to the ellen show, Im expecting guardians will be nothing but rock songs with no original score or anything epcot fitting, but hopefully Im wrong.

Kman101 likes this.