News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
No, because Marvel is Disney now. As much as any other IP that good ol' Walt appropriated: Pan, Pooh, Princesses, Poppins, Palice in Ponderland...

True. I just watched the new Spider Man. I wished I had seen Pooh, Bert sweeping some chimneys, and that komodo dragon from everyone's favorite program, Jessie since now that we're dealing with something under the Disney umbrella, I just want more, more, more.....

EPCOT is a Disney IP. An IP that used to be respected. Now, its not. They don't even have to change the mission of the park....just disregard it in ridiculous fashion "Peter Quill visited EPCOT as a kid.."

montyz81

People do realize that the original vision of EPCOT and the original Vision of EPCOT Center are different things and the fact that one of them was never realized doesn't invalidate that the other one was.
And that the one that was realized started off as a showcase of new technology which actually directly connected it to Walt's original vision for the real city. There is nothing in today's Epcot that maps to Walt's original intent for Epcot City and yesterday's announcement just pushes it exponential farther from that vision!

SirLink

Can't have it both ways. You're assuming the changes are going to be bad.

They could of added an attraction based of the event big bang without a movie IP tie in and it would be better. Why? Thematically it would be better for Epcot.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to this, but mainly because in my mind, it shows that Epcot is finally getting the TLC it so desperately needs.

For me, parts of it, especially Future World, have become a bit stale. I'm not thrilled about the theming (as much as I love GotG), but I guess the removal of UoE (and the transformation of FW as a whole) doesn't hit me as hard because I wasn't around for E.P.C.O.T. Center's heyday (I didn't get to visit WDW until the early 2000's), and I think there are a lot of people who are the same way, for possibly the same reason.

FettFan

Why does everyone assume GoTG has to be related to energy? Kinda sound like that entire side of future world is becoming space themed. GotG, update to MS, new Space resturant.. Test Track is the only thing standing in the way of an entire all space themed area of the park.

.....because the building is called the Universe Of Energy Pavilion.

The_Jobu

Wow, I'm such a nerd

1301790359001.png

Wishing Star

I find it funny that my first visit to Epcot was likely in 2008-2009. I never visited EPCOT Center, yet I feel the need to protect it...

Wow, I'm such a nerd :hilarious:
sound like you want to preserve the original ideals and themes of EPCOT.
I also feel the same, although my 1st visit was in the 90s.

I'm also a nerd, especially when it comes to Walt Disney's vision.:joyfull:

FettFan

No its that not every change is good, your assuming the additions are positive. UoE they could of created an attraction around the natural event of the big bang. Marvel properties have no relation to that. It would be the same if they added Doctor Strange in the WoL pavilion because ... well its Dr Strange.

Changing out UoE to a good old fashioned science of big bang event - good change. Adding an attraction celebrating inventions - good addition. Slapping a movie IP in the parks because ... change. Is a terrible philosophy to go by. When Lex said to make it more relevant to families truly shows how non of the leadership team understand Epcot or what it is meant to represent.

Aye. I was actually hoping for a new show with Neil DeGrasse Tyson hosting, seeing how the man is a scientific rock star for those of us who were watching Bill Nye as kids.
tysonpluto_sq-23fe2681042fd1a3c09f5cfb3a714a1d8c88dc08-s300-c85.jpg

Dapper Dan

I wonder if this will tie into the old Universe of Energy attraction somehow, as they keep the old building and the front still looks so similar. I think it would be cool if the attraction started like it was the old Universe of Energy and then suddenly the Guardians appear and you get into the roller coaster. Maybe a modern Bill Nye and Ellen can even still be involved.

I've always thought it is funny that both those actors, as well as Alex Trebek, are still active on TV today. They could have picked from many other actors that were big at the time but are no longer relevant today, yet all three still have their own TV shows decades later.
A moment of silence for Trebek's mustache, though.

October82

He has zero credibility as a scientist once he said the ideal gas law had nothing to do with footballs deflating in cold weather.

Probably outside the scope of this thread, but the story is much more complicated that you suggest here.

What Bill Nye said is that if you apply the ideal gas law, without accounting for the fact that what you measure is "gauge pressure", that you can't explain deflate gate the way people wanted to. He was mistaken, but for a subtle reason. If you measure the pressure correctly, you come to a different conclusion, that the effect is significant, but even then, it turns out to depend on the material properties of the ball in a way that makes the ideal gas law not the whole story.

He's an idiot!

Bill Nye is an ivy league credentialed engineer and has been a distinguished science educator for decades. I understand that some people don't like him, but not liking him doesn't make him an idiot or unfit for an Energy pavilion.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom