1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardians of the Galaxy attraction confirmed for Epcot

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by wdwmagic, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Wintermelon43

Wintermelon43 Active Member

Good point, Universe of Energy should have been replaced with Frozen ;)

2. Maddie Terwilliger

Maddie Terwilliger Member

lol I would take ANOTHER Star Wars attraction over Guardians of The Galaxy any day. :hilarious:

3. Casper Gutman

Casper Gutman Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the big wheel simply broke.

Also, Disney kinda built its reputation on incredibly detailed versions of "Park Bench: The Ride." If WDW wants to compete on thrills, they will lose. Because of their audience, they can't push the envelope enough. There are plenty of places that offer thrilling coasters - if you want coasters, you go to Cedar Point or Kennywood or Knotts or even a Six Flags.

4. Sketch105

Sketch105 Well-Known Member

Yes, but for the most part they are going for franchises that will have a staying power for a few years, or ones that the company is invested in. There's a reason they never built the Fairies land in New Fantasyland.

Yes, eventually some of these attractions may get replaced down the line, but this will be a decade long after they've made all their money back on building, promoting the rides and lifting attendance, which is the ultimate goal.

Guardians was put in Epcot because of several factors- Disney had a hot Marvel property they could actually use in Florida, they had an aging attraction with large amounts of space that could be used for their vision, and it was in a park which needs, above all else- an attendance boost. Guardians will help with that.

Fantasmicguy likes this.
  5. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

Will they be air conditioned?

6. spaceship_spencer123

spaceship_spencer123 Member

Hopefully nobody passes gas in them either or there's gonna be a huge stinkin' problem

larryz likes this.
  7. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

I am actually thankful it is not Star Wars related because I do not want to be put in a position where I have to hate Star Wars. Thankfully I didn't care for and now loathe Guardians of the Galaxy.

Maddie Terwilliger likes this.
  8. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

That is for sure. Love seeing FW finally progress.

9. Cesar R M

Cesar R M Well-Known Member

I wonder if Guardians of the Galaxy will be a thing for 2-3 years until it cools down. exactly how it happened with Frozen.

HMF likes this.
  10. celluloid

celluloid Well-Known Member

I would have to agree. It has certainly peaked and is not on the level of Pirates or Frozen(more than tron) Of course it will be popular, and a new rollercoaster thrill holds power for a while this day and age, but people forget that Ellen and Bill Nye were incredibly popular in 1995-96. Jeopardy infamous as well. I do predict over exposure starting to hit with Marvel in general, and Guardians is not up to snuff with the rest of The Avengers. Its going to fade a tad faster.

HMF likes this.
  11. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

That's well known. It's also a quick fix, panic reaction in a desperate attempt to boost attendance as opposed to doing the right thing.

In five years the area known as Futureworld could be a shell of its former self. Literally. We're on the cusp of possible irreparable physical damage being done to the park.

Like a few other things if it happens you'll know what I mean. If it doesn't I'll tell you about it sometime.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  12. Movielover

Movielover Well-Known Member

Both Guardian movies out grossed every Pirates movie except for Dead Man's Chest domestically, Also when comparing the 2 latest in the franchise, Guardian's Vol. 2 to Dead Man Tell No Tales you can clearly see which series is being loved by audiences. Overseas is a little trickier due to several factors, one of which is that the humor present in Guardians does not translate well into other languages.

Plus the Guardians are nowhere near being done as they will appear in the upcoming Avenger's films and a third film in their franchise. Meanwhile it's looking like certain that the Pirates franchise is dead.

Sources: Box Office Mojo

13. MaximumEd

MaximumEd Well-Known Member

The main problem is that it's already a shell of its former self. Wish they would do the right thing. I just don't see the original FW concepts as dead. It just needs a new look and today's tech. It does not need to be Retro 82 IP Center. They have other parks for that crap.

14. EricsBiscuit

EricsBiscuit Well-Known Member

I have a funny feeling you're talking about replacing SSE with a roller coaster. If they do that, I'll never visit Epcot again.

15. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

And unfortunately, the mass public will eat it up and not care one bit so it works in their favor. It is a shame because I truly believe they'd still enjoy a ride that doesn't have an IP attached to it.

16. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Depending on what they do with SSE, that could be my tipping point as well. Because as of right now, I'm not too upset over the things they're doing (Guardians is in the wrong place no doubt though) but clearly they are doing more damage than we've been told. Guess we'll see.

rreading, David2319 and EricsBiscuit like this.
  17. the.dreamfinder

the.dreamfinder Well-Known Member

Are you accounting for inflation?
    Because
    Pirates 1:$450,268,700
    Pirates 2:$574,546,200
    Pirates 3:$399,818,000
    Pirates 4:$266,055,600
    Pirates 5:$170,872,400

Guardians Vol 1:$366,068,600
    Guardians Vol 2:$386,774,900

TROR likes this.
  18. trainplane3

trainplane3 Well-Known Member

To me, this sounds like Project Gemini is fighting to come back. Make everything into a thrill ride. Is that where some of these ideas are being pulled from?

And on SSE being coaster-ized. Can someone remind them it'll cost big $$$ to reinforce the structure to handle the forces from a coaster? You know, get that idea shot down nice and quick? Unless there's a more extreme plan for SSE...

19. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

There's more that's proposed demolition-wise than just Innoventions. I can't say more for now but that's what I mean about irreparable damage.

And that's without the whole IP / theme / story / dumb down argument.

Sloan, Wespionage, njDizFan and 11 others like this.
  20. trainplane3

trainplane3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mike S likes this.