Ground transit from LAX to DLR

PMC0849

Original Poster
My wife and I our going to Disneyland for a weekend trip this week, and want to know the best way to get from LAX to the DLR. I see there is a shuttle, but when I look at the price of that shuttle for both of us, I wonder if taking a cab may just be a better, faster option. Thanks!

BubbaQuest

I'd estimate a taxi will be a least $100 from LAX to Disneyland. The two are not close together. If you are stuck in traffic (which in LA is always), it will just go higher. If you don't want to use a shuttle, you'll probably be better off using a limo service where you could get a fixed price in advance. That may not be cheaper, just more convenient.

Jahona

Better idea is to just fly into Orange County John Wayne. It's much closer and the traffic is not as bad.

Someone gave me the same advice for my trip in March and I was able to switch our flight around. I used Karmel Shuttle to go from SNA to our hotel and back to the airport again. Honestly this was one of the best pieces of advice I was given. LAX is a one of the worst airports I've flow into and the swap saved me time and hassle. Karmel Shuttle only cost me around $80 for the trip and was easy to use.

TeddyinMO

My family and I just used this service from LAX to Disneyland last month. Buses were clean and on time. Price was $90 round trip for 2 adults and 2 kids. Each trip took about an hour.

Just make sure you get on the big bus. A cheap knock off van may show up about 10 mins before your scheduled time and try to convince you to ride with them. It's a scam.

Anyway, this site is marketed on Disneyland's website and the company served us well. Another benefit is since it's a bus, you don't need to drag car seats for little ones if you don't want to. http://www.graylineanaheim.com/airport_info.cfm

Have a great trip!

TP2000

My wife and I our going to Disneyland for a weekend trip this week, and want to know the best way to get from LAX to the DLR. I see there is a shuttle, but when I look at the price of that shuttle for both of us, I wonder if taking a cab may just be a better, faster option. Thanks!

Is it too late to change your airport? LAX is the furthest away and most congested of the SoCal airports serving Disneyland.

Orange County John Wayne (airport code SNA) is much closer, about 20 minutes via cab or Uber, and much cleaner and nicer. Long Beach (LGB) is second-closest, about 25 minutes away, and very stylish.

LAX is consistently rated as one of America's worst airports for a reason. Why not fly with the smart set into John Wayne instead?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I've used the Karmel shuttle, rented a car, and used Lansky's car service. I enjoyed the car service the most it was a little more pricey but all the rental cars are off site so time is wasted on a shuttle, then waiting in line, and then finally getting the car. And the Karmel shuttle was okay but the driver gave us a hard time for keeping him waiting (our plane was delayed so not our fault) and then when it was time to go to the airport the shuttle was 20 minutes late. Lansky's was on time, courteous, and didn't blame us that our plane was delayed.

I know a lot of people don't like flying into LAX and I do agree that John Wayne is more convenient but sometimes LAX is a lot cheaper to fly into. Maybe I've been lucky or timed my flights right but I've only gotten stuck in traffic once and it wasn't too bad it added about 20 minutes to my estimated travel time.

photomatt

If you use Uber please remember that the tip is not included. You can tip if you want to. It's not expected, but it's nice if you feel the service provided warrants a tip. You should also consider the cost of gas and maintenance that the driver pays on their own. Remember this when you look at the price of the Uber ride when compared to a taxi.

Also, the rating system is not what you might think. Drivers must maintain a rating of 4.6 or higher in order to continue to drive. This means that if you give them a 4 star rating you want them fired. No, it does not make sense, but that is the way it is. So, when you rate your driver, please remember this.

No, I do not drive for Uber, but I used to. Anytime I see Uber being discussed I will always bring these issues up. I personally can't stand Uber, but it certainly beats paying almost $100 for a taxi from LAX to DL.

TP2000

Check Long Beach airport too. It's also closer to DLR and easy to fly in and out of.

Long Beach really is fantastic. But since it's the SoCal hub for JetBlue, the other airlines there can't get in many flights per day. But if you're a JetBlue person, Long Beach can't be beat - Hip and stylish and clean and super-easy to use. Pretty much the anti-LAX.

6_Long-Beach-Airport.jpg

fosse76

Assuming, like most people, you can't just simply change your flight without incurring a fee that would in no way save you any money, I always take Super Shuttle from LAX. Since you are going to Disneyland, they have a special flat rate of $18 per person each way.

SSG

I always fly into Long Beach (from Seattle) when I go the resort. Great user friendly airport. The shuttles from there are a good, inexpensive option to get to DLR. The taxis will also take you there for a $50 flat fee, which is a good option if there are three of you rather than a single or a couple.

PMC0849

Original Poster
We ended up taking Uber from LAX, it was only $50 which was less than I thought it would be. Next time we will look into flying into one of the closer airports.

TP2000

We ended up taking Uber from LAX, it was only $50 which was less than I thought it would be. Next time we will look into flying into one of the closer airports.

Great to hear!

Flying into LAX is an easy mistake for non-Californians to make. John Wayne and Long Beach airports are both vastly easier, cleaner, closer, safer and more stylish than LAX when visiting Disneyland. But nice to hear that Uber saved the day.

Figments Friend

Seconding and highly recommending SNA or Long Beach for the airports of choice.
As others have already said, both are far more customer friendly, have a calmer aura, and do not feel as busy or hectic as LAX.
They are also far more pleasant to the senses and don't make you feel like you are spending time in a concrete prison.
Even if LAX is cheaper to fly into, you will 'pay' more in other ways.
Travel time to DLR being one such additional cost...not to mention literal time and your sanity.
It's SNA all the way...or LGB!

My first flight to CA some years ago was to Long Beach, and it was awesome.
Jetblue non-stop straight shot from Boston.
Felt like a rock star walking off the plane right onto the tarmac!
I tend to fly to SNA now...although I always have to do connecting flights which actually works out better for me.
Went to LAX twice for budgetary reasons, and purposely avoid it now no matter much cheaper the airfares there may be.
Just takes way too long to get to DLR from there...and the atmosphere is too chaotic and not the way I personally want to begin a stay in California.
SNA and LGB have a much more 'welcoming' vibe.

Regarding transportation-
I highly recommend Super Shuttle.
They offer shared rides via their van service, or private cars.
There are many discount codes 'out there' online that can easily be found with a quick search that can make the price even more reasonable.
Very efficient, friendly drivers, inexpensive rates, and most importantly on time service.
I only pay $16 round trip from SNA with the shared ride option using a discount code I found online last year.
Have yet to have had any issues.
Always quick service and timely, exspecially when returning to the airport for the flight back home.

I tried the Disneyland Express service by Grey Lines, which was about $30 round trip from LAX and both times I used them I had issues returning to the airport.
They also did not deliver you door to door...you had to walk down to their closest pick up point on a street corner ( with your luggage, mind you ) and wait.
Super Shuttle picks you up right at your location...and right at the pre-booked time.

Some options to consider next time, or for those reading with a trip coming up.

Remember kids -
John Wayne / Orange County SNA = great
Long Beach = great
Super Shuttle = good option
LAX = bad!

( Your mileage may vary, no animals were harmed in the typing of this post )

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom