Gringotts--size issues?

71jason

Original Poster
Haven't tried it myself, but hearsay suggests the ride is even less forgiving than the original Forbidden Journey. Any first hand accounts?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Haven't tried it myself, but hearsay suggests the ride is even less forgiving than the original Forbidden Journey. Any first hand accounts?

Haven't heard much about this, but there is a test seat at the start of the queue.

http://themeparkuniversity.com/backstage-access/inside-harry-potter-escape-gringotts/

DSCN2357-1024x768.jpg

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I'm 6'1, 240 and I was more comfortable on Gringotts than Mummy. The shin restraints didn't even really touch the front of my legs, only a little on the sides.

IAmFloridaBorn

I'm 6'0 220. Gringotts was uncomfortable a bit for me. Mummy, FJ all more comfortable. I sat on back row. When I did the test seats the light went red as I was too big or legs too long or whatever. But I was able to just fit on the ride . Once you are on, you'll be okay if you can get the lap thing to stay. it's nothing severe just a bit of slight discomfort.

AndyMagic

Unfortunately you'll be seeing a lot more shin restrains on rides these days due to the fallout from both the Texas Giant and Six Flags New England incidents. In the latter case especially, the restraints were operating as intended but the man still fell out because he wasn't able to maintain proper support of his upper body and slipped out. Mind you, he was mentally handicap and shouldn't have ridden in the first place but that didn't stop the ripple effect in the theme park industry that is causing all these annoying lower torso and shin pads. I for one hate them in all of their forms. I'm 5' 10" and 155 pounds and I still felt too "restrained" on the new Thunderbold coaster at Coney Island which uses a system that essentially prevents any movement of the lower half of your body.

StageFrenzy

Unfortunately you'll be seeing a lot more shin restrains on rides these days due to the fallout from both the Texas Giant and Six Flags New England incidents. In the latter case especially, the restraints were operating as intended but the man still fell out because he wasn't able to maintain proper support of his upper body and slipped out. Mind you, he was mentally handicap and shouldn't have ridden in the first place but that didn't stop the ripple effect in the theme park industry that is causing all these annoying lower torso and shin pads. I for one hate them in all of their forms. I'm 5' 10" and 155 pounds and I still felt too "restrained" on the new Thunderbold coaster at Coney Island which uses a system that essentially prevents any movement of the lower half of your body.

I thought it was a woman that fell out of the Texas giant. Where the handicapped guy fall out at?

stevehousse

I believe he fell out of a superman roller coaster at a six flags. I don't think he was mentally challenged but physically challenged and was missing a limb...

stevehousse

I believe he was amputeed at the knees, so he should have been ok to ride seeing as the lap bar would come down far enough to hold him in...unless he didn't pull the restraint down far enough?

maxairmike

These rides are getting a little much for my claustrophobic nature. I just do not like rides that I have no possible way to get myself out of, waiting for the employees to "safety" allow me out is not something that sits well for me. Mission Space??? Rode that twice and I'm done with that ride, just not worth being locked in a steel coffin waiting for a handicapped person to be put on or whatever cause the launch delay when I was on it last time. Thing is I have no problem with safety restraints that I can get out of. 5 point harness in a track car?? Zero problem with that since I can simply stop and get out any time I want. These rides break down and who knows how long you are stuck there. Control issue I would think. Got stuck on Space Mountain once. When I got to the unload deck the cart ended up not lined up exactly but the bar came up. I jumped up, grab my son and got out of there. I'm sure we weren't supposed to just jump out like that but I'm not waiting another 10 minutes for the carts to line up exactly with the unload platform. I'm able bodied so first chance I want off, I don't need to go through the procedure for a 90 year old cripple with whatever why are they here problems.

Except that's the exact opposite of how restraints are designed to (and have to) work for an experience that isn't user-controlled. Surely you understand why that's the case?

Timekeeper

Except that's the exact opposite of how restraints are designed to (and have to) work for an experience that isn't user-controlled. Surely you understand why that's the case?

You're responding to a comment that proposes a lose-lose scenario. If a restraint is too effective and actually "restrains" :eek:, then it's too "claustrophobic." On the other hand, if a restraint allows a guest to "get out any time they want," then it's completely unsafe and utterly pointless. :banghead:

Call me crazy, but I want my thrill ride restraints to, well, restrain me. :rolleyes:

Timekeeper

When did this happen to the man at 6 flags that is so sad :(

I'm guessing that some people might be thinking about this story:

Teams of inspectors on Saturday were examining the Ride of Steel coaster at the Darien Lake Theme Park Resort, about 30 miles east of Buffalo. Sgt. James Thomas Hackemer, 29, was ejected from the 208-foot-tall ride early Friday evening after climbing aboard during a family outing. The wounded veteran was missing all of his left leg and most of his right one, as well as part of a hip.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-07-09-new-york-roller-coaster-death_n.htm

In an unrelated incident at Six Flags, in 2004, a 53-year-old, 230 lb man from Bloomfield, Connecticut fell out of his coaster seat during the last turn and was killed. Reports show that the ride attendant had not checked that the guest's ride restraint was secure as his girth was too large for the T-bar-shaped ride restraint to close properly. The victim's family said that due to his various medical conditions, such as cerebral palsy, he shouldn't have been allowed to ride.

Interestingly, the park stated that the federal Americans with Disabilities Act forbids them from denying a ride to a person with a disability as long as the person can get on the ride by themselves. To this extent that this statement carries any weight, it creates a bit of a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation when it comes to theme parks using discretion in deciding who to allow on rides.

On one hand, certain physical disabilities create an obvious potential for danger, as we have unfortunately seen happen on multiple occasions. On the other hand, just imagine the lawsuits and news article headlines about "Military Veteran Denied Admission On Theme Park Attraction."

In this PC and social media day and age, what's a theme park to do?

Piebald

I noticed many...ahem, larger people being rerouted at Gringotts. They would be told to get in one row and then once everyone was strapped in and ready to go they would rearrange them to switch from front row to middle. In one instance I saw a party of 3 big folks sit in the front, then go to the middle, then ultimately the male in the party did not ride. Wasn't sure if it was from discomfort or TM decisions.

Timekeeper

I noticed many...ahem, larger people being rerouted at Gringotts. They would be told to get in one row and then once everyone was strapped in and ready to go they would rearrange them to switch from front row to middle. In one instance I saw a party of 3 big folks sit in the front, then go to the middle, then ultimately the male in the party did not ride. Wasn't sure if it was from discomfort or TM decisions.

I've seen similar things happen in other attractions (even ones like Minion Mayhem). It not only causes a launch delay, but let's face it, it can be embarrassing for the guest. It can also embarrassing for a TM to suggest that a guest try the example seats outside before entering. If a large guest made it that far into the queue (up to the ride vehicle) and cannot ride due to physical size, then there were probably some shy TMs working the entrance at the time. TMs should be be as careful with large guests as they are with checking height on shorter guests.

And no, I'm not placing the blame on employees. Of course there are some guests who are either stubborn, in denial, or will outright lie about fitting into the example seats in an attempt to get onto the ride. But I do believe that at least some degree of occurrence could be reduced if TMs (and their management) were a little bit more cognizant of the issue and the benefits of being proactive about trying to assist these guests on the front end, rather than deal with the disappointment/embarrassment on the back end.

As a side note, I have found that the TMs in Diagon Alley are absolutely incredible. In my brief experience thus far, they have been the most positive, helpful, interactive employees that I have ever encountered at a theme park. Kodus to them!

JT3000

These rides are getting a little much for my claustrophobic nature. I just do not like rides that I have no possible way to get myself out of, waiting for the employees to "safety" allow me out is not something that sits well for me. Mission Space??? Rode that twice and I'm done with that ride, just not worth being locked in a steel coffin waiting for a handicapped person to be put on or whatever cause the launch delay when I was on it last time. Thing is I have no problem with safety restraints that I can get out of. 5 point harness in a track car?? Zero problem with that since I can simply stop and get out any time I want. These rides break down and who knows how long you are stuck there. Control issue I would think. Got stuck on Space Mountain once. When I got to the unload deck the cart ended up not lined up exactly but the bar came up. I jumped up, grab my son and got out of there. I'm sure we weren't supposed to just jump out like that but I'm not waiting another 10 minutes for the carts to line up exactly with the unload platform. I'm able bodied so first chance I want off, I don't need to go through the procedure for a 90 year old cripple with whatever why are they here problems.

If you can't follow the rules and stay in those "claustrophobic" restraints that you're not SUPPOSED to be able to get out of, don't ride. You're only putting yourself and others in danger. The parks follow strict procedure for a reason, and contrary to your assumption, it doesn't just apply to certain people. They need everyone to follow directions all the same.

OT: Calling someone a cripple is no different than calling them a . It's completely uncalled for. You may wonder why they're there, but they are there to enjoy themselves, no different than you.

Last edited:

Disneydreamer23

I'm guessing that some people might be thinking about this story:

Teams of inspectors on Saturday were examining the Ride of Steel coaster at the Darien Lake Theme Park Resort, about 30 miles east of Buffalo. Sgt. James Thomas Hackemer, 29, was ejected from the 208-foot-tall ride early Friday evening after climbing aboard during a family outing. The wounded veteran was missing all of his left leg and most of his right one, as well as part of a hip.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-07-09-new-york-roller-coaster-death_n.htm

In an unrelated incident at Six Flags, in 2004, a 53-year-old, 230 lb man from Bloomfield, Connecticut fell out of his coaster seat during the last turn and was killed. Reports show that the ride attendant had not checked that the guest's ride restraint was secure as his girth was too large for the T-bar-shaped ride restraint to close properly. The victim's family said that due to his various medical conditions, such as cerebral palsy, he shouldn't have been allowed to ride.

Interestingly, the park stated that the federal Americans with Disabilities Act forbids them from denying a ride to a person with a disability as long as the person can get on the ride by themselves. To this extent that this statement carries any weight, it creates a bit of a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation when it comes to theme parks using discretion in deciding who to allow on rides.

On one hand, certain physical disabilities create an obvious potential for danger, as we have unfortunately seen happen on multiple occasions. On the other hand, just imagine the lawsuits and news article headlines about "Military Veteran Denied Admission On Theme Park Attraction."

In this PC and social media day and age, what's a theme park to do?

THANK YOU SO MUCH !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom