Trip Report Grimm, Grinning Ghost Tour 2017

Grimm Grinning

Ghosts Tour 2017

Welcome Foolish Mortals!

Cast:

We are headed back to the World, but this time with my nephews, brother and sister in law. Chris, Steph, Nick and Josh will be joining us for six nights! This is something we have really been looking forward to because as fun as it is for us, it is even more magical to experience it with children! I do not know where the one photos went, but it was old anyhow!

Dates: October 16th-27th
Chris & Company: October 16th-22nd
Resorts:
Bay Lake Tower 2 bedroom—I think it is Lakeview
Beach Club Water view rooms 20th-23nd
Bay Lake Tower 23rd-27th

Pre Trip

So planning has been taking place since last fall. I couldn’t very well begin my new trip report without finishing our Feb trip report Wait! Are We Just Staying at the Polynesian?! But I am getting there. I really appreciate all of the warm messages of encouragement from my board mates too! Our family has been going through some stressful times, but a few issues have been resolved and feeling more confident and positive.

Spring is my lazy season and work is busy, so sitting down to write isn’t always an option. I love summer, fall and winter, but spring just drags on to me. Booking our BLT was a disaster by the way. End of February is our window and the end of September is not a huge problem, end of slow season. However if you have been noticing October is going to be a madhouse. We attempted to add a stay at Boardwalk Villas at the beginning of our trip and waitlisted. Everything we wanted was booked solid, here and there was a random Friday night. Oh well, I eventually just decided to go back to BLT since we could book our home resort with no problems. I am totally ok with that, other than the fact that I like to eat at Epcot a lot.

There is always a computer problem or system problem or human error that messes up our reservation. This time the CM, who was wonderful on the phone, put in for the reservation, but in the meantime it got snapped up by someone else. We didn’t find that out until I looked closer at the reservation when I made the ADRs, so another call into DVC guest services. Again, really great CM and was very helpful and understanding. We were still on the wait list for Boardwalk and my nephews disappeared from the reservation altogether. Well we ended up with the lock off for a couple of the nights, which sleeps everyone, but not in a traditional bed. Sorry it is tough for adults to sleep on pull out things. He got us squared away on the right waitlists this time and got the ressie looking good.

So slowly we had been getting notice that the reservation was streamlining and only our first night was a lock off. Problem being we originally scheduled our trip to arrive a day before the Grimm’s of the North did, so we could be in the villa and not have to worry about holding the luggage and rushing to dinner. BLT is also notorious for your room not being ready after 4 PM. One time we waited till almost 6 because the computer system was down that told them which rooms to clean. By golly, pens and paper still work though! I am sorry do not rely on technology all of the time, especially with Disney’s IT issues. We wanted to be settled in so wouldn’t have to worry about rushing from the park to dinner or the room. Lordy, lordy if I didn’t get an email the other day that all four nights came through on the dedicated! This really relieves a lot of stress in not having to move rooms after a night. By the way I forgot to mention Chris called and asked if they could come Monday instead of Tuesday, so double phew!

Last edited:

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Last edited:

LowesChevy

Original Poster
I worked some magic around on ADRs a bit this morning. Originally planned on just three of us Tuesday morning at the Kona, but now we are seven! The Wave is usually light traffic in the morning before 9, so not a big deal. Bro said he would prefer to skip AK in lieu of more Epcot time, which is fine, but I had to cut some time for us and a Rose & Crown ressie the following week. I certainly want to check out Pandora, they have only been building it for ten years it feels like! I think I am going to FP the River Ride because I am a bit nervous about not fitting into the Flights of Passage vehicle being Pooh sized. I’ve never not been able to ride a ride at Disney or Universal, but I did have some difficulty in the Escape to Gringott’s first row. I’ve read other reports about guest’s experiences so I am a bit hesitant. I think it depends on your individual shape. I won’t be crushed to not ride it this trip—just all the more reason to make another trip of course!

Coming up

FP selections in 20 days. In the meantime I need to purchase tickets for those guys and our APs will expire at the end of September. I need to find out if I can make our FP on an expiring AP before our trip. Hmmmmm-gonna have to take a look.

Everyone have a great weekend too!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Monday, Monday, blah blah, blah blah blah blah

I purchased The Grimm’s of the North park tickets today. Chris wrote me a check a while back to cover room and tickets and a little something for me lol. I will have to renew our APs pretty quick too. The special offer is great giving you the Platinum pass for the same price as the Gold Pass which we have. However, I do not want to be at Disney for blackout date days, nor do we visit the water parks seldom anymore, so is it a necessity? We were playing with the idea of going after New Years and meet the Grimm’s of the North in Key West. Stephanie’s parents have a condominium and will retire there eventually full time. Only problem is that weather is incredibly iffy and getting to Key West is no picnic if you have ever been. Add getting to and fro to Orlando. I would just prefer to freeze my buns off in December to visit them in MN and go to WDW in February again!

This weekend was a blast. My soccer team and I visited a local escape room and then had an after party at our house. It was a great time even though we failed the mission. There was a lot of math though, come on man! Then yesterday some of my cousins came over for a luau party complete with Tiki drinks in new ceramic mugs we got Big Daddy for his birthday and pu pus of Kona Café-esque wings & coconut shrimp. I made huli huli chicken, vegetable fried rice and a big salad.

The only problem was my sleepless night last night! I haven’t had one of those in ages. Maybe there was too much excitement for me this weekend. Back to the basement tonight for some wood sign designs and old school television. Perhaps I was off my schedule too long and couldn’t wind down.

Next step is working on the day to day plans and determining FP+ selections. We have two full days at the Magic Kingdom in a row and two full days at Epcot plus a day at DHS. For us, whatever we don’t get to with them can be done the following week, so that is a relief.

Ok, let’s get though this week together!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
68 days to go!

We made it through another week and halfway through this one!

I made progress getting through my Post Trip report well. I have had to make some decisions about photo hosting since Photobucket decided to jack up their rates. I understand being charged, no problem there, but $400 a year?! Uh, No, bad dog. So if some of the images above deactivate-just bear with me I am in the search of another hosting site.

Chris called me last night to tell me he had their arrival and return flights set. They are coming down on a different airline then they are departing, but it made better economic sense. He was able to save about 60% of what the round trip tickets cost. It will work out well since they plan on arriving around 5, maybe 6:30 they reach WDW property. We have dinner planned at Teppan Edo, but they will have their bands to get into the room. Hopefully we get into the room sooner, but with BLT sometimes you don’t know unfortunately! They leave Sunday, but not till 8 PM, so we are probably going to hit Epcot for another half day after breakfast at Cape May. In the afternoon we can head to the pool. We are staying at the Beach Club that day, so they can store their stuff and change back at the room before they leave. I am sure the boys will get into their pajamas.

I still need to get our APs. The platinum pass is the same as our gold right now, so pretty self exclamatory go with the upgrade. There are rumblings of another February trip, which has me like “booking dot yeah!”

Busy days ahead, need to hammer out the FP+ details for our days and get that Feb trip booked because 180 days are fast approaching on that one!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
49 days to go!!

Hard to believe, but we are getting pretty darn close. The boys were headed back to school today and our local schools are starting back within the next week. Since we have gone at the end of September, it feels much closer. Josh is still only 37 inches, so some jockeying of FP+ will need to be performed, but since we are going to be there longer I don’t really mind missing a few rides so Chris & Stephanie can experience them.

We got some fun mail last week-our AP bands arrived! I tried to get the rest of the bands today, but newsflash-Disney’s website wasn’t working correctly! Shocker! Seriously you just want to check on a detail of the trip and half the time something isn’t working right or Stitch ate it. I print out hard copies of everything reservation and make a FP+ crib sheet for the parks, so I don’t waste time waiting for items to load. Hopefully late I can get theirs to confirm and ship because I need to send them up to MN.

[/url
]

At least time isn’t at a standstill for us though! Between the two holiday craft shows I am entered in for November and December, my Hot Dog Contest and Oktoberfest and garage sale, there is no time for slacking around my house. Plus I need to have my BFF help with our shirts for the trip and the party. More details on all that fun stuff to follow-talk you y’all soon.

LowesChevy

Original Poster
38 Days to go

Pretty dismal news over these hurricanes and I feel crumby for being so excited about my trip when my board mates are scrapping their plans to the World.

A friend of mine that lives in Miami drove up to stay at her mother’s with her three little boys. Her husband has to work as a nurse. She had changed her job to per diem, so she has more with her boys. This hurricane is going creep right through Florida and I am praying for my friends and everyone else there to stay safe!

Chris and the boys called last night and they were all pumped up! Chris is elated that he has no planning to do, but he is getting excited too. Josh is looking forward to swimming and staying in a hotel-hopefully he likes the rides also. My mom was telling him that we were all staying in the room and he said “That’s a lot of people!” Pool little guy is only 37” so a lot of rides are out for him, but no need to worry. Nick was too busy building Legos to talk, but as they days click down reality will set in for him lol.

I am waiting for their MBs to ship so we can send them up to MN. That way they will be able to get into the room, hopefully we will have done so before we leave for dinner at Epcot. I am actually really excited they are coming a day early. Five days are hardly enough to see WDW!

It is hard to balance time between being excited for Disney, planning my Oktoberfest and working on Christmas signs for my side hustle! The day job really eats into the others ha ha ha. Yes, Christmas signs, which has been very fun to do, even though it is September. So for the first time in years we are not going to WDW this month and the weather has been so cool I think the pool is going to be closed up here quick. Normally we would have some warm or hot days late September early October when we would be gone. Not so much this year. I think we may be in for a snowy cold winter to up here in PA.

So everyone take a deep breath and continue to pray for our friends in Texas and Louisiana, that our friends in Florida stay safe till we can help them.

LowesChevy

Original Poster
27 Days to go!!

We took an overnight getaway Friday night, which is something we haven’t done in a while. My soccer league runs Friday nights, so I just decided I needed a little break this week. Big Daddy dangled the overnight stay and Indians game teezer Wednesday and mom and I snapped it up! I had to take a half day off work, but it was worth it. First stop was Beachwood Place and Dillards and I managed to find a few great deals on some shirts that will come in handy in warm weather. Time was of the essence, off to the city we go!

We stayed right at the Ritz Carlton so we could walk over to the ball field with ease and not worry about the traffic once the fireworks were over. Getting there was a treat though-traffic was atrocious as it is in most cities on a game day. We finally got there, checked in and settled in the room. There was plenty of time for snacks at the concierge lounge. The attendant just kept bringing out different appetizers, plus cheese, different types of jerky, nuts, wine, beer, coffee bar and a sushi plate--it was fabulous!

Of course if you are a baseball fan, you know the Indians had a record number of consecutive wins going into last Friday night and of course the game we went to they lost. Then proceeded to win the next couple as well! It was a wonderful time, with the exception of the woman behind me that never stopped her lips from moving. I don’t mind casual conversation, but non-stop chatter about anything and everything under the sun is too much. I am there to watch baseball be courteous of those around you.

[/url
]

[url=https://imgur.com/vCW4l4Z][/url
]

Sunday I went to my BFFs to watch football and work on my shirts for the Oktoberfest and our Disney shirts. I have the design down for both of those. Still planning the big party for October 1st. I need to complete and plan the menu, get 90s Trivial Pursuit organized and odds and ends squared up. There are so many little things to get done in the next few weeks. Nothing crazy, but I do need to get a Square system for my craft shows set up soon.

I had to call my brother to get his information to complete check in. I have already completed our check ins for the Bay Lake Tower and the Beach Club. I will finish that up tonight and work on some signs since I missed a few nights. The days are ticking down—see you real soon!
[/url]

LowesChevy

Original Poster
11 days to go!!!

I can’t believe we are almost single digit dance. This past weekend was a blast, my annual hot dog contest and Oktoberfest was hours of fun. We entertained around 40 adults and children. It was exhausting, but everyone had a wonderful time. Here are some photographs of my mom and me in our garb; the winner’s circle, including yours truly; and some of my gal pals with the homemade alphorn my cousin made. Plus our shirts turned out awesome. Still need to finish the Disney shirts though! I need to keep on my friend because she procrastinates more than I do!

[/url
]

[url=https://imgur.com/Y8tAQfZ][/url
]

[url=https://imgur.com/BwO38FJ][/url
]

[url=https://imgur.com/NSoZDIg][/url
]

Now that we are recovering from that event time is really going fast. I started to set aside my clothes, but with warm weather here, it gets complicated. Mainly my focus is getting signs made up for my show in November. Seems crazy, but we will be gone till October 27th come back then we have a baby shower and party to attend that weekend. There will only be 13 days to finish up prep for the first show. Pretty wild, but hey I made it through college and still made the Dean’s List! I can do this!

It will be nice to leave for Cleveland on Sunday rather than have to take off work and rush to get things together on a Friday afternoon. Packing really won’t take long it is just the agonizing decisions on what to bring! Bathroom bags are the hold up since I need many of the items on a daily basis. We will have the full villa for the majority of the trip so we can do laundry, but I do like variety and showing off my March Madness Disney t-shirts. I had picked new ponchos that are lightweight for travel. You just need something that you can leave and not feel bad about it, but those ponchos do really come in handy at times.

I need to gather the carry on and camera bag goodies. The only thing to worry about now is what to make for dinner. The eons old question lol. The biggest struggle of the day at times. Talk to everyone real soon.
[/url][/url][/url]

LowesChevy

Original Poster
5 Days to Go!

My official birthday is over, but it didn’t have to end there, right?! It was fun my office mates got me cake, flowers and a card and it felt great getting texts and social media notifications wishing me a Happy Birthday. I feel every one of those years after playing soccer Monday night on the hard wood gym floor. Luckily Fridays are on newer turf, which isn’t as abusive on your knees and joints and bottom when you wipe out.

We went to dinner last night at our local hibachi restaurant. It was great fun. Last night I also printed out my vinyl for our t-shirts, hopefully I hear from my bff tonight so we can get the shirts pressed. I made Josh a BB8 and Nick gets a Darth Mickey on his shirt.

In the process of charging up my camera batteries fully. I have decided to take the larger camera bag as my personal item since the small one is too small for this trip. Hopefully I have a productive evening, while ignoring the television while the Indians and Yankees are playing. I can’t watch!!

I should probably pay some bills before we leave and that kind of fun stuff. My Square reader should arrive Friday and I would like to test it before we go rather than waiting till we get home to avoid the post trip procrastination. Other than that things are running on schedule really well. My dad is having some issues with his Achilles, but it should be ok by the weekend.

See you real soon!

12in12

Time just flew by and your trip is over already. I hope you had a magical time. Did your t-shirts turn out okay?

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Grimm Grinning Ghost Tour

It’s the final countdown da na na na nah da nah na na na

Sunday October 15th

It was convenient to treat today like any other Sunday. I woke up, did my morning routine and changed my sheets so they would be fresh and crisp for my return. The bags were all packed I just had to grab a few odds and ends for my camera bag and carryon duffel. I bought the Disney Vera print with yellow, orange and brown. I regret that I didn’t purchase the whole line of course.

We were all anxious to get moving to Cleveland because we wanted to do a little shopping before heading to dinner and the hotel. Mom stocked the car with bottled water and some snacks just in case any type of emergency. It is less than a two hour drive, but it is always a good idea to have some water and food in the car. You never know what type of weather you are coming home to in these parts!

[/url
]

[/url
]

Relevance---REM on a Georgia license plate, just saying

We stopped and grabbed a quick lunch at McDonald’s along the way since it would be several hours before dinner. The day was overcast, but pleasant to drive. The Great Northern Mall was the target for the afternoon and we found it fairly easy. We had not been there since the 90s and none of it was familiar. It kept us occupied for a few hours, not to mention my wallet at Dillard’s, but I got some great bargains! We stopped to sit for a cup of coffee and kill some time before dinner.

Before dinner, we stopped at Dick’s Sporting Goods-mom was looking for some shorts and I decided to buy new shin guards, socks and a new headband. Of course it started raining and B.J.’s was in an awkward location adjacent to the mall. Service was slow, but the food was great. It is one of our favorite places to eat out in Scottsdale too. Off to the Sheraton now.

We found a good parking spot near the entrance and made our way to the room. It was the elevator room that we seem to get on every floor. It is fine though because the wake-up call comes early! We watched television for a while and put something on with the sleep time as it was time to try and sleep at least!

Next up....flight to MCO!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Monday October 16th

It is up and out the hotel room by 6:15 AM for us. Early flight means less sleep, but more time at WDW. The worst part of the trip, aside from departure from WDW, is travel day. I love traveling, but the chaos of hauling the luggage, getting checked in, getting through security and boarding the plane be crazy. To me the trip doesn’t get rolling until we are wheels down at MCO and the luggage is stowed in the rental car!

Our flight was bumpy, but otherwise we made great time and even arrived early. I had my iPad to watch my core favorite movie selection, today I chose The Heat. My only malfunction was a pair of Apple earbuds that broke from my Lifeproof case adaptor. The little piece is stuck in there, but Big Daddy to the rescue he had a spare pair. Got my orange juice and grooving at cruising altitude.

[/url
]

We arrived at MCO early as reported and had an empty gate assignment ready however the jet way was not functioning. Like really? So we had to be tugged to the next gate and then deboarded lol. Got to ride the new people movers at the airport, quite an improvement from the older ones MCO had. I used the restroom and the bags were coming off the conveyor belt within minutes. The car rental took a while even though we are preferred members with the company. I needed to be added as another driver and you can no longer do it online when you make the reservation. There was extra paper work to complete. Finally we selected our minivan and were off to Miller’s Ale House for lunch. Fresh mahi mahi sandwiches here I come!

After lunch we stopped by Super Walmart to get our groceries, umbrella stroller and assorted odds and ends. Packed up our cold goodies and made way to Disney Springs to activate our APs. After that we got MB’d for arrival at Bay Lake Tower
https://imgur.com/DowQ3ES
[/url
]

Upon check in our room was ready! Great news now we can get unloaded, unpacked and ready to head to Epcot for dinner before the boys arrive later. I had little piles of stash for Nick & Josh. Technically it wasn’t Nick’s first trip, but we didn’t want him to whine about not getting a button haha. I fired off a photo of the goodies to my bro too.
https://imgur.com/lceSS82
[/url
]

[/url
]

Room was great, nice and clean, free of bed bugs and on the 3rd floor. Once settled we made our way to the 4th floor for the monorail. The new security screening is doubled when going from the Contemporary to Epcot since you end of up getting check twice as a heads up. I made our dinner adr at Teppan Edo because I knew we wouldn’t be at Epcot for a couple of days and I needed my fix!

Coming up dinner at Teppan Edo

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Teppan Edo

When I arrive on Disney property my priority is get to Epcot. I just totally love the atmosphere of both parts of the park, minus the occasional gremlins of Food and Wine Fest. The Magic Kingdom is a busy place and the lands are full of activity with adults and children alike full of joy and excitement or gloom and frustration. Epcot is chill.

[/url
]

After checking out the newly and still being refurbished Mitsokushi, we went upstairs to check in for our reservation. Pleasant as always, our table was ready early as the other parties were ready to dine as well. We were escorted to our table and we grabbed the end cap so I could sit lefty next to the other party. I find Teppan Edo a great place to kick off the vacation. It is fun to talk to your table mates about your comings and goings. We met a couple from Tampa who were visiting for the day with their granddaughter. Monday was a holiday for her so they drove over for a day of fun. I asked her how they fared through the hurricane and she was grateful for my concern. They were relieved that the storm broke apart where and when it did. The flooding was bad, but less torrential that other areas. Really nice and friendly people- I wish they were all like that!

Our server got our drinks and wetting towels and soon after that Usami was our greeting us. She, like the other chefs, come right out and introduce themselves and tell you what part of Japan, if applicable, they are from. Usami said she was in Disney for a year then would head back to more rural Tokyo to settle down. She explained her name was easy to remember because I Am USA-it was pretty funny.

There was a shellfish allergy at the table, so our shrimp would be cooked last. However not a problem since the food is cooked fast anyhow. The onion volcano was deployed and delicious caramelized vegetables ensued. The beef rice was gone, but plain white was available. Our local teppanyaki place serves dynamite fried rice, but with all of the other food I don’t miss it. We also had visited there the previous week for my birthday.
https://imgur.com/GYNxd0q
[/url
]

Usami was an exciting chef to watch. Even being as skilled as I am in the kitchen, I would totally freak out doing some of those tricks! As a token of a job well done and a souvenir for her-I gave her a cast member appreciation card. She was so excited and expressed her joy. I love giving them out for a job well done for that reason. Teppan Edo was spot on

Ratings 1-5. 5 being best, 1 being worst

Food: 5 stars
Service: 5 stars
Atmosphere: 4 stars
Overall: 5 stars

It may be readily available at home, but I want reliable food and service on vacation and we always receive it here!
https://imgur.com/gQ2h1Gq
Be Back: You bet! Sayanora!

Later the boys arrive on our way back

LowesChevy

Original Poster
BLT Lobby

We made it back in time to catch time at the lobby. The boys were excited to see Grammie and Papa and couldn’t wait to ask me questions. We took them up to the room, but trying to get them to settle down was another story. The Electrical Water Pageant came on, but afterwards it was teeth brushed and jammies on for everyone. It is going to be a fun week!

The Wave

That morning we all got up and headed to the Wave for breakfast. The chef came out for Josh and he wanted pancakes-he pretty much ate pancakes all week. The only drawback is they use the gluten free batter for the egg allergy diet so the pancakes tend to lack color and are a different texture of course. He didn’t seem to care, he plowed them down regardless. Grammie and Nick ordered the buffet and Chris, Papa and I just ordered off the menu. Breakfast was fine and we would certainly be back this week and next. Now off to the Magic Kingdom!

[/url
]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom