Great Movie Ride

ToTBellHop

there has been a consistent problem of being able to hear the other car in the Wizard of Oz scene, b/c this scene calls for both cars to be in the same room at the same time saying the same lines...they almost never say the same words at the exact same time, so it's usually a bit off...

Tron

On my last time on the ride two weeks ago I was in the "Gangster car" and my CM didn't do the OZ speech, we heard only the one from the Cowboy car.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Theres all that spare space that the now unused sound stages occupy. The backlot tour is pants!! IOA how can it be failing or am I just unlucky to have visited on the days when its been busy. The Studios on the otherhand are now much quieter no doubt deserted by the thrill seekers who head next door.
IOAs biggest problem is the swarms of marauding teenagers and stroppy staff their ride concepts beat disney hands down.
As for GMR yes update it but I want more rides not just changes.

CaptChris

Chinese Theater????

Here is a thought...

When MGM opened in 1989, I remember watching the festivities on tv. At the time, they said that the Chinese Theater was to be the Center piece of the studios.

If there was some long term thought to that, then why did they put the sorceror Mickey hat in front of it, and call it a permanent addition? Could this ultimately be the demise of the GMR?

Ponder that if you will.....

ToTBellHop

The Disney Studios' yearly attendance is roughly 150% that of Islands of Adventure. The park is PACKED...especially Sunset Boulevard.

I think IoA is hurting for two big reasons and one of them is exactly what happy snapper said:

1. The teenagers -- seems to me the place is full of local teens who get in on annual passes and don't really eat much or buy anything. They're truly there for the rides, which aren't the moneymakers. I was there last August and the place was mobbed but we walked into Mythos without a reservation and got a table right away -- it was empty.

2. How many people do you REALLY see wearing IoA t-shirts or Universal brand items? I know they sell a lot of character merchandise as well, from Betty Boop and other comics, Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, etc. But I think EVERYONE wants a souvenier from Disney when they go. I've been to IoA four times now and I'm not trying to put the place down but I've never bought myself a park souvenier -- and I LOVE the place! There's just not the brand loyalty at IoA.

And I think Disney really just needs to update the Great Movie Ride -- it is what the park is all about. While CAVE or some other sort of technology would be nice, how much does it really cost to build a new building instead of gutting the old one!

Pumbas Nakasak

Merchandising is a huge money maker why else would DTD be getting expanded. Married hs just made me realise that in 4 visits a family of 5 bought 1 Spidy T shirt, I spent a damn site more than that on pins at WDW. Also I have my phot taken on most of the rides at Disney I havnt got 1 for IOA the kids got 1 with Kong at the studios.
The question is is it losing money or is it not making as big a profit as expected. It must be doing something or why else build hotels.

Disney Maniac

Re: Chinese Theater????

Originally posted by CaptChris
Here is a thought...

When MGM opened in 1989, I remember watching the festivities on tv. At the time, they said that the Chinese Theater was to be the Center piece of the studios.

If there was some long term thought to that, then why did they put the sorceror Mickey hat in front of it, and call it a permanent addition? Could this ultimately be the demise of the GMR?

Ponder that if you will.....

As I understand it, the Sorceror Mickey Hat is a permanent addition, but like all things in Walt Disney World, it's only permanent until the Guests begin to complain, lose interest, or both. If you've noticed, the Gift Shops all carry merchandise featuring a combonation of all three of the icons of the Studios: the Theatre, the Hat, and the Earful Tower. Also, I believe that, at the moment, the Hat is the more prominent icon as far as marketing and the like go, as it was built especially for the 100 Years of Magic Celebration. Once the celebration ends, we'll see how Disney decides to play it out.

Really, it seems highly unlikely that Disney would get rid of the Theatre façade in general and the GMR in particular. I know everyone has an idea or three of what the show building could be used for, but honestly, what is the point? Please see my earlier posting for my reasoning/explanation/opinion.

howlin_mad

Re: Re: Chinese Theater????

Originally posted by Disney Maniac
Really, it seems highly unlikely that Disney would get rid of the Theatre façade in general and the GMR in particular. I know everyone has an idea or three of what the show building could be used for, but honestly, what is the point?

I hope that nothing happens to the building, but what if Disney finally decides to change it? If they do decide to change everything inside and outside, then that means the park guests would have to see a ton of construction equipment, walls, and the scaffolding all around the building. The building used to be the main thing that all the guests saw upon entering the park, and it was a great first impression for a lot of people. If that building were to be covered with equipment it would give a lot of those guests second thoughts. Now that there's a giant sorcerer's hat in the middle of the street the guests no longer look at the chinese theater when they first enter the park. Now they're greeted with the giant symbol from Fantasia. So now if Disney finally changes the building and/or the ride the guests won't be bothered with looking at the construction immediately upon entering the park.

Justin149

Re: Re: Re: Chinese Theater????

Originally posted by howlin_mad

I hope that nothing happens to the building, but what if Disney finally decides to change it? If they do decide to change everything inside and outside, then that means the park guests would have to see a ton of construction equipment, walls, and the scaffolding all around the building. The building used to be the main thing that all the guests saw upon entering the park, and it was a great first impression for a lot of people. If that building were to be covered with equipment it would give a lot of those guests second thoughts. Now that there's a giant sorcerer's hat in the middle of the street the guests no longer look at the chinese theater when they first enter the park. Now they're greeted with the giant symbol from Fantasia. So now if Disney finally changes the building and/or the ride the guests won't be bothered with looking at the construction immediately upon entering the park.

my thoughts exactly

-justin-

i hope they dont get rid ofthe great movie ride. mgm is all about movie magic w/o thatride wheres the magic at? its one of my fave rides at mgm.:hammer:

Originally posted by happy snapper
The question is is it losing money or is it not making as big a profit as expected. It must be doing something or why else build hotels.

I've known many people around here that are now staying at the Hard Rock Hotel or Portofino because they can get better discounts than at Disney -- as a matter of fact, for those of you with an "Entertainment" club card (it's a book that comes with a card and all sorts of discount coupons -- I think some of the Universal hotels are in the book. They then just rent a car and go to Disney some days and Universal others. So I think the hotels are one of the big moneymakers for Universal.

Pumbas Nakasak

My master plan for next year was 2 weeks at the Rivrside and a week at the Hard Rock but the price is extreme they gave me a rough cost based on this summer I nearly wept. There more geared for guests staying 3-5 days. Well just have to wait untill Nov to see the plans for next summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom