Great Movie Ride

Rider

Originally posted by tinkrbel
please let it be just a rumor .. I love the GMR .. of course I am old ..and movies like Casablanca and Singing in the Rain are wonderful movies .. maybe they could add some of the newer movies ..but I would hate it if they took out what was already there .. its funny but until a couple of years ago I never knew there were two different "kidnappings" .. for years we had always been "kidnapped" by a cowboy ...the one year we got Kidnapped by a 40's style gangster, we thought they had changed this then a CM told us it depended on which car you were in.. we felt kinda silly not knowing this till a friend who also goes every year said she didnt know it either!! that they had always gotten the gangster!

Almost the exact thing with me except I always thought it was the gangster.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by CaptChris
I think that Universal and IOA are beginning to give WDW a run for their money. I have been to both Universal and WDW and I believe that WDW clearly has the edge in Customer Service, however, the public is in to E-Rides and Disney is aware of this.

I am sure that whatever happens to GMR, it will either be or be close to a E-Ride

UMMM...Actually IOA isn't doing great. Families don't go there too much because there isn't a lot for everyone to do. It is really a thrill park, and it is sort of struggling. This is part of the reason that the Disney Thrill Park idea has been almost illiminated. They see that IOA really isn't good for everyone, only the thrillseekers.

space*mt*ranger

Originally posted by bearboysnc
That ride blows!

Sigornie Weaver in "Alien" looks like Paul McCartney.

The film section goes on and on for so long, I fell asleep the last time.

It really needs an overhaul.

you worry me:mad: :( :hurl: :dazzle: :brick:

CaptChris

New York Street

I don't think there is any room for development on the NY street. Besides, what happens if they have to close it for filming which does happen from time to time?

ToTBellHop

They simply need to expand elsewhere...this park is VERY cramped. I actually wish IoA would have done a bit better...at this point it is zero competition for disney...if it had offered a little competition, we would see even more rides...but we are still getting a lot of new attractions in the next few years...

GalacticGobbler

I like it but it does need updating, not only the scenes but the movie at the end

Attachments

• movie ride.jpg
    movie ride.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 101

ToTBellHop

I remember WAY BACK when the Wicked Witch of the West was a real person and she was one of the people who took Guests hostage! Those were the days...

Chad

Theres always room for expansion! Just move some rodes..New York needs my old James Bond Ride..
007: Ride of Your Life
It basically used Test Track Technology to make a car chase scene..It's one of the projects I was proudest of.

Luau Cove

Re: New York Street

Originally posted by CaptChris
I don't think there is any room for development on the NY street. Besides, what happens if they have to close it for filming which does happen from time to time?

The Backlot Tout ocupates a lot of land which could be used to expand New York Street, plus the tour is not popular nowadays as it used to be and to take a portion of it's present route wouldn't mind anyone. Besides, I think movies aren't filmed in the New York street anymore, save little exceptions.

Attachments

• backlot.jpg
    backlot.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 144

mhead

didnt know that the witch was ever real - been going since opening week and all i have evr seen was the animitronic. go figure!

I also didnt know there were two kidnapping scenes for many years - only got the gangster one. in fact i have only gotten the cowboy scene twice !

tinkrbel

its kinda neat when you find out your not the only one that "didnt know" we have went every year since '91. I still think its funny that all those times ( and we always rode the GMR at least 3 or four times ) we only got the cowboy bank robber. I think it was in '97 that we got the gangster instead and we thought this was just a change till we mentioned it to a CM. but that was the only time we have ever gotten the gangster ..since then its been the cowboy ..well ok one time it was a cowgirl bank robber

**** 25 days ..less then a month a little over 3 weeks *****
Magic Happens!

BSikor

My sister is a CM at GMR and she has hear "rumors"about closing the ride, but nothing for sure. She says her supervisors are chaulking up the rumors as fake. There are no real plans to get rid of GMR. They are making cuts though. Due to budget issues, they are loading half shows. Giving the guests only the gangster show, and no cowbay show, (or vice versa). The whole idea behind it is, slow day, give a bunch of people the day off. I hear it's real lame. They have also been running the show with no hijacking. The gangster pops out makes some threats and the car is on the way with the original tour guide still on it. She says they haven't done much of that, but there were a few times after 9/11 that the parks were empty and they cut alot of CM's.

Maria

GMR!.... aaawww... it´s been always one of my family´s favorite ones. We love the preshow too! :)

When I was a CM, my bf at that time was a CM there and gave me the best tours! To explain to me the different tours there were (I couldn´t remember if there was one kidnapping or what the difference was), he played both roles and did the two, one after another one of course (he switched with his buddies). I got to sit in the front and I was sooo delighted! He was real good at acting! I had a blast! Kids were asking for his autograph when the ride was done! :)

adr315

For whoever said CAVE is the technology used in Spider-Man, they couldnt be more wrong......no existing theme park attraction has used CAVE

Disney Maniac

The replica of Mann's Chinese Theatre is an obvious classic and has been for the longest time the prominent building in the park. It is without a doubt the Cinderella's Castle or the Spaceship Earth of the Studios.

Disney-MGM Studios is the realized vision of the "Hollywood that never was and always will be." As such, the Great Movie Ride acts as a perfect summation of the entire mission and goal of the park: to bring Guests back to Tinseltown and to share in it is history, energy, and magic. This ride has examples from nearly every film genre: romance, comedy, drama, action, adventure, family, horror, science fiction, Western, gangster, and musical.

What I believe the ride tries to accomplish is to draw the Guests back into the heyday of Hollywood and relive the films made when the major movie studios were turning out nearly a hundred films a year rather than the paltry 20 or 30 in a good year today. The ride attempts to conjure up all the emotions that accompany watching a film...or being a part of it. I think it does so quite well. The movie is not so much about replicating the most memorable or recognized scenes from some of the best films as it is about epitomizing the genres that have made Hollywood what it is and what we see it as.

To those who say it needs new scenes, I would only partially agree. Yes, there are films out there that better epitomize their genre, but are they as well known, revered, or groundbreaking as those highlighted here? Casablanca, Singin’ in the Rain, Footlight Parade, Public Enemy, Tarzan, The Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins ; they all had something that broke down the old barriers and set out to reach new heights. That is why they are represented in the ride. That is the Hollywood that Walt Disney himself saw when he first moved out there, thus, the park in general and the Great Movie Ride in particular are such benchmarks. They show all Guests the Hollywood that Walt lived through and how Hollywood and Walt Disney share many characteristics: energy, magic, and inspiration.

My only two major critiques of the entire production are the film montages and the Cast Members’ dialogue. The montages should be cut a little shorter, as the ride already consumes an overwhelming 20 minutes per ride vehicle and need to include some up-to-date footage, as well. That is where the new movies belong: in the montage, not hogging up spaces on the Ride’s “soundstages.” The dialogue is the other thing that needs revamping, as it is quite dull and identical to every other ride vehicle driver’s dialogue. Does it not bother you when you hear your CM talking, followed by the CM in the vehicle behind you saying the exact same thing as yours did? Disney should give the CMs a general gist of what to say when, but—in true Hollywood fashion—give them some freedom to individualize their dialogue.

I realize I went very long with this, but I thank those of you who suffered through my opinion to find the beginning of the next post!

Maria

I didn´t suffer your post, don´t worry, it was fine. I agree with you.

About the cast members repeating everything like in the book, I would say that it depends on the cast member you get. They do have a script, but the idea is that they are guiding you on a tour around the movies, so what they say should be consistent; if it is not, they would forget to say something to their audience.
My ex-bf was a guide there and he did know all the lines in the script, but he could add his own lines if he wanted, as long as he said what was written on the script. ;)

About you being able to listen to the guide in the other car.... that is a mistake I think... I remember him telling me that he had to check until he didn´t see the other car to start his own speech in each area, so what you are mentionning doesn´t happen. So I guess that was a coordination mistake. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom