Great Movie Ride to Close?

Timekeeper

And what, one might reasonably ask, is wrong with the ride vehicle? It's not supposed to be a thrill ride.

There's nothing wrong with the ride vehicle, per se. I would simply suggest that there's a lot of potential for a much more immersive ride experience. Just as there's nothing "wrong" with the ride vehicles at the Universe of Energy, but Dinosaur does a better job of putting me "in" the dino-infested environment (general ride criticisms aside). An articulating ride vehicle (and other refurb characteristics) would do a better job of making me feel like I was "in" the movies.

There's nothing wrong with ride vehicles like those in Mr. Toad's, but Disney made the vehicles in Pooh more interactive with the ride environment. There's nothing wrong with the Big Thunder cars, but Seven Dwarfs cars "swing," etc. Guests expect more immersive, interactive experiences in modern theme park attractions. There's nothing wrong with Mummy, but Gringott's vehicles spin and various sections of track articulate like a motion-simulator base.

New ride vehicle systems don't necessarily have to be for a thrill factor, but we've always seen newer technology used in with each new attraction (like trackless rides), so I would expect the same if GMR were to get a major overhaul (wishful thinking).

El Grupo

This ride needs to go. A lot of space and very outdated.
10o.jpg
Got my hopes up. This ride needs to go. A lot of space and very outdated.

Plenty of space at DHS w/o touching one of the primary attractions. BLT (plus associated tram maintenance area) and LMA (and practice area) probably cover close to 20% of the park. Throw in Streets of America, as well as multiple bungalows and support buildings that could be moved, and there is plenty of room for new attractions.

And that is just one side of DHS.

FrankLapidus

IMO they just need to update the movies. I never heard of Footlight Parade, Casablanca or The Searches.

I'm surprised there's anyone who hasn't heard of Casablanca but Footlight Parade and The Searchers are included because they represent pivotal eras and genres in film history; Footlight Parade because it was choreographed by the legendary Busby Berkeley who was instrumental in the 1920's/1930's golden age of movie musicals and The Searchers stars the most famous actor of the Western genre in John Wayne.

jt04

So, this is just me thinking out loud and looking for clues as to what is too come. If the GMR is removed, demolished or whatever, it would only seem right that the HAT would be removed. Then knowing that the back lot area is being completely re-themed, one would guess that the Mouse Ear Water Tower would go, as I could not see how they would incorporate that into a Star Wars Land/Car Land or whatever new themed goes into that space. Which leaves the question, what is the new park Icon??

Scrap the hat. Feature the original facade as just that or possibly place a small shop/attraction in the queue area. Add an attraction entrance on the opposite side of the building. Repurpose the building with new e-ticket either themed to SW or Pixar.

Call it a potter swatter and laugh all the way to the bank.

Tom

Beta Return
If this happens then I may just consider giving up on Disney entirely.

:cautious:

Tom, I trust that you would not lead us down a long crooked path to nowhere, so I will cancel my future plans to ever go to Disney again. That's how sure I am of your information unless, of course, I change my mind at some arbitrary and undocumented time in the future. You can take that to the bank. ;):angelic: It's a sure thing.

I am 100% positive, with absolute certainty, that one or more WDW theme parks will be closed, or remain open, as of an unspecified date. You can take that to the bank, and base all future vacation plans on the information.

Also, 5th gate.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I am 100% positive, with absolute certainty, that one or more WDW theme parks will be closed, or remain open, as of an unspecified date. You can take that to the bank, and base all future vacation plans on the information.

Also, 5th gate.

I can also guarantee that WDW will get a new gate sooner then later. I mean every time they build a new fence on property there has to be at lest one new gate doesn't there?

Goofyernmost

Also, 5th gate.
Really, I heard that they are going to also build a 6th gate, but, either that one or number 5 will be closed immediately to make room for Phineas and Ferb. What's left will be an accumulation of parts that once made up previously closed rides. Things like a 20K sub, one or two Toad vehicles, trams from the recently deceased Backlot tour and, of course the twisted metal framework that once held up Mickey's hand and wand over SSE. However, the BAH will be moved in there as well as soon as they close DHS. Plans show that the BAH will be positioned in such a way as to completely hide all the rest of the stuff that I just mentioned. Sounds like a winner to me!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Really, I heard that they are going to also build a 6th gate, but, either that one or number 5 will be closed immediately to make room for Phineas and Ferb. What's left will be an accumulation of parts that once made up previously closed rides. Things like a 20K sub, one or two Toad vehicles, trams from the recently deceased Backlot tour and, of course the twisted metal framework that once held up Mickey's hand and wand over SSE. However, the BAH will be moved in there as well as soon as they close DHS. Plans show that the BAH will be positioned in such a way as to completely hide all the rest of the stuff that I just mentioned. Sounds like a winner to me!

I think a 6th gate is much more likely then a 5th gate.

Goofyernmost

I found a photo of the gate......

View attachment 69372
Nice gate! I'd pay a $100.00 per day admission price to see what is on the other side of it any time! They could call it "Disney's Nature Adventure" **

**Disclaimer: The Disney Company is not responsible for any snake bites or alligator attacks, bee stings, armor plated mosquitoes or sink holes. You're on your own baby. That's what natures all about. Welcome to this natural place!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom