Great Movie Ride or Old-school movie ride?

Yert3

I wouldn't mind having the "Great Movie Ride" become the "Disney Movie Ride." In fact, I would love that. My ONLY fear is that they wouldn't focus on any movies older than the year 2000. Or make it all Pixar and no DISNEY! Something they seem to be doing a lot of lately. If they did that, I would hate it. But knowing Disney, it's what they'd do. Gotta make sure to put movies in there the kiddies would know :mad: .

Jacquie668

I love that ride! One of the rides I truly cherish and remember fondly. I do understand though that things get updated so hopefully any updates will improve the ride and not go...all Tiki-funk.

imagineer boy

I love the ride and hope they never get rid of it. But boy howdy they need to give it a refurb. Not only update some of the effect, but new movie scenes as well.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I wouldn't mind having the "Great Movie Ride" become the "Disney Movie Ride." In fact, I would love that. My ONLY fear is that they wouldn't focus on any movies older than the year 2000. Or make it all Pixar and no DISNEY! Something they seem to be doing a lot of lately. If they did that, I would hate it. But knowing Disney, it's what they'd do. Gotta make sure to put movies in there the kiddies would know :mad: .

I didn't see that happen with the Fantasyland expansion! :)

I actually could see Disney definately putting classic scenes in there from Peter Pan and Snow White in this ride.. I'm also sure they'd put Toy Story in there for being the first computer-animated full-length film.

Guess you'd just have to wish for the best and hope they don't do it TOO mordern.

Sweetums

I've always suspected this scene "did" more than it currently does-even the bubbles seem to be a thing of the past, and I've read about faulty fountains that flooded the roadway-but what exactly did the dancers do?

I worked GMR in 1990 and 1991. If all was right with "Footlight Parade", they (the dancers) would spin around while bubbles floated in the air and there was a fountain with water in the back. Actually, the dancers themselves didn't spin. The platforms spun - each in a different direction. Neat effect. Even back then, though, it was often "101" (Disneyspeak for not working). Hidden in the hieroglyphics (in the Indy scene or maybe right after), in fact, is a "101" because something was always breaking down in that ride.

I haven't been in a long time. Last few times to WDW we skipped it because the kids were little and I thought Alien might be too much. This next trip, I really want to take them on it. Brings back so many memories!!

blueboxdoctor

At the very least they should update the animatronics, as the characters look dated. Though, parts should probably be altered, as some are too generic (i.e. the horror movie section) or others are rather dated (i.e. westerns are dead). This doesn't mean westerns are bad, it just means they could probably find a way to update it. However, the real section in need of updating is the backlot tour, would it kill them to drag out some new props once in a while, how many people really saw hitchiker's guide to the galaxy that it justifies being there (for the record, I saw it and it doesn't exactly need to be a main prop for the ride).

Calvin Coolidge

Lots of talk in this thread about adding more animated stuff to GMR - not only do I think that's unnecessary, I think it dilutes the ride's effectiveness. I'd get rid of the Fantasia sequence, even, if I could (I believe it's there mostly because there wasn't enough space to put much anything else in that corner so I'm not convinced there are other options, but it's not ideal.)

I really can't imagine any major refurb of the ride which doesn't scrap Footlight Parade and Tarzan. I just hope that, if such a refurb occurs, they resist the urge to add Johnny Depp, or replace Clint Eastwood with the Lone Ranger or something.

joanna71985

They only run the bandit scene if they are using both cars. Only the first car gets to see that scene. We always ask to wait and get in the first car because we were so tired of being in the back car and only seeing the gangster scene. This is one ride where it's better if it's crowded.

That's the purpose of the second car though (to get the gangster). Just as the second car only gets the gangster scene, the first car only gets the western scene

ratherbeinwdw

That's the purpose of the second car though (to get the gangster). Just as the second car only gets the gangster scene, the first car only gets the western scene
True. I've noticed that when crowds are light, they run the first car through empty instead of simply waiting and using both cars when they fill. It's probably a technical thing and the bandit scene is more expensive and more technical to run so they run the gangster scene when crowds are low. I, personally, have never been when they only ran the bandit scene. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. This is just my experience with tons of times on this ride. It's an "eyes of the beholder" thing.

FettFan

Take out the generic "Mummy" area. Replace it with the original Night of the Living Dead.

Replace ALIEN with ALIENS.
Change the Nostromo to Hadley's Hope, add a few more aliens, give Sigourney Weaver a costume change, and throw in Michael Biehn (Hicks), Bill Paxton (Hudson), and Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez).
Oh and....Queen Alien.

Change John Wayne from The Sons of Katie Elder to John Wayne from McLintock!

joanna71985

True. I've noticed that when crowds are light, they run the first car through empty instead of simply waiting and using both cars when they fill. It's probably a technical thing and the bandit scene is more expensive and more technical to run so they run the gangster scene when crowds are low. I, personally, have never been when they only ran the bandit scene. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. This is just my experience with tons of times on this ride. It's an "eyes of the beholder" thing.

There are many reasons why one car would be empty (training, vehicle issues, ect). I've been there when only the first car was used (and the second car was empty). Also, the Western scene can run during slower times. It may not have as many vehicles (or run as long during the day), but it is performed year-round.

Finally- GMR can't run just Western. It *has* to run with the Gangster scene. However, Gangster can run on it's own.

rufio

I still enjoy it for sure... but I have to also say that I have been fortunate enough to have great CM's working the attractions; we've all read of people barely doing the minimum while narrating. I think there are a few issues when it comes to adding new films... obviously issues with royalties and rights and I understand they have plenty of money but it's still an issue to deal with. Personally, they're classics... and classics for a reason. Why remove them for the Justin Bieber generation?

Because the younger generations don't have any idea what most of these movies even are. I'm 24, do not listen to Justin Bieber, and I only recognized a few of the movies. The rest were lost on me. DH and I rode it once last month and I honestly have no desire to ride again unless something changes. I really wanted to love this ride! I love most of the classic Disney rides, this one just was not one of them.

Bloopers

The Great Movie ride is actually my least favorite ride at Disney, lol. Went on it once... probably my first and last time on that ride. Everyone looked miserable throughout the ride, but hey, it might just be me...

Communicore

This ride should be shut down and maybe sent to DCA or Shanghai or something. It screams late 80's and not the era of the films their showcasing. They should just go ahead and convert the building to a princess meet and greet or better yet a real movie theatre showing a marathon of "Frozen" with intermissions from Disney Channel shows.

I was polled coming off the Great Movie Ride two weeks ago. They asked me what I thought about it and if there was anything I would change with it. I said that the movie at the end was desperately in need of an update as it screamed 2004 or something. Also I mentioned the first scene (footlight parade) being a poor introduction scene. Doubt it will make much of a difference... But I like to hope that it will be redone at some point. I still love it even if it is corny and ridiculously out of touch with a modern audience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom