Grand Floridian not as grand as I would have thought.

Monkee Girl

And it has nothing to do with the construction.

I had clicked that having my room ready early was a priority.
I wasn't expecting 9am but had hoped for say 1pm-2pm.
It was 3:30pm...

We had gone to DS since it wasn't ready when we arrived at the resort.

So by the time we got back to the resort and went to the car to retrieve our luggage and take it to the room we were dripping sweat.
The room we were assigned was not the correct room category that we paid for.
We called and they fixed it and gave us another room but as I found out later they marked every magic band that were not the current one as "lost" which meant we had to go to guest relations at the park to have that fixed since I was using a different band that day.

In the bathtub/shower the water would not just come out of the tub or just come out of the shower which created a terrible shrinking noise.

And tell me why we had to jiggle the handle on the toilet to get it to stop running and be able to flush?

We are the type that are in the parks from open to close and park hop to 3 parks some days so after walking anywhere from 11 to a record for us 15.5 miles in a single day we don't have the energy to call about it so it did not get fixed.

We are unlikely to stay there again.
I'm really sorry you had a bad experience. I've never stayed and the Grand Flo and just came back on Wednesday from my very first stay there and loved it. Even with the construction, which I had been very worried about.

First, the bell hops immediately came to us and took our bags. We got in early and was told our room wouldn't be ready until around 3. We did some walking around the lobby, checking out the construction and all and it was fine; they hid everything very well (unless you're on floor 2 of course). We sat in the lounge and listened to the piano player. Then we Monorailed to the Polynesian and had some food and by the time we got back to the Grand (around 3pm) our room was ready. The desk attendant was friendly and quick and our room was so convenient! The Floridian is intimidating because it looks sooo huge so I was afraid we would be put in the farthest building on property. Well, we were in the 'Sago Cay' bldg which was right next to the Gasparilla grill, right outside the marina so we saw the castle every time we walked out our building. and were the closest building to the buses. we also had a monorail view room so didn't have to look out our window to construction all the time.

The room itself was adorable. Were on the 5th floor and in a gabled room so we felt like we were walking into a cottage or something. Or, as I told my friend, Wendy's bedroom. I thought Peter Pan could fly into that window anytime. We got the cutest little towel animals every day from the housekeeping. The bell hop brought our bags up when we called and he took the time to show us all the little Mary Poppin's/hidden Mickey's in the room like he designed the room himself.

The only complaints I really had are property general and not specific to the Grand itself. I wish the 'quiet pools' would go back to being quiet pools (no screaming kids, lol), I wish the lounges/restaurants were open later. nothing more annoying that staying out at the parks at 12 and the Gasparilla grill closes at 11 so we can't get any food or fill our mugs. but again, that's all the resorts.

I liked the Mainstreet atmosphere of the hotel. When you walk into the lobby and hear the music, I recalled it reminded me of the tower of terror (30s Hollywood vibe). I always stay at the Polynesian and had the Poly been available when I booked we would have stayed there but I was glad I finally got a chance to try out this hotel. I look at it all the time, wondering what it was like to stay there and wasn't disappointment. My one regret was I didn't get to eat at any of the restaurants. 1900 was closed, Vic and Alberts was a little out of our price range, the Cafe seemed just a little too basic when we had other dining options we wanted to try. But I'll make a point to try one of them in the future.

Hopefully the pictures come thru. I had some Disney ducks while at the pool. They were trying to rest under a lounge and there was this little brat trying to catch them. Don't know where her parents were but she was being a menace to the ducks. I told her to leave them alone in the sweetest voice I could and she was just like 'I want to pet them!' and I said 'well, they just want to relax'. They would close their eyes and she would reach for them under the chair and they would run. Finally, they got the smart idea to go under MY chair and the little demon spawn knew better than to try and grab them while I was sitting on the chair. She left to go play but every now and again came back with a friend to see where the ducks were. I took the photo of them napping. They eventually left and tried to just swim in the pool but no matter where they went a flock of kids would go after them. I don't know why the parents or life guards or SOMEONE didn't say to let them be. It really made me mad, lol. anyway, that really had something to do with the resort but it really irritated me that the kids wouldn't leave the ducks alone.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 46
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 47
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 46
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 50
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 52
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 47
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

monykalyn

We had ducks at quiet pool at Grand Flo and security and lifeguards herded them out. Even then had to tell some kids to back off and not get in way of security tryin to get the ducks out. By contrast at Universal hotels I’ve seen lifeguards come down very sternly on kids who don’t listen to instructions -they have ZERO issues kicking them out of the pool. Makes for a much more relaxed atmosphere as parents of brats KNOW they won’t get away with the stuff they do at Disney.

Disone

We had ducks at quiet pool at Grand Flo and security and lifeguards herded them out. Even then had to tell some kids to back off and not get in way of security tryin to get the ducks out. By contrast at Universal hotels I’ve seen lifeguards come down very sternly on kids who don’t listen to instructions -they have ZERO issues kicking them out of the pool. Makes for a much more relaxed atmosphere as parents of brats KNOW they won’t get away with the stuff they do at Disney.
Interesting but unusual. There are no lifeguards of the quiet pool. It is not normal procedure for security or even life guards to herd them out.

If anything if any humans start chasing the ducks will be told to leave them alone. But if the ducks do have what is called an accidental fecal release, they will shut down the pool for some time while they rebalance the chemicals.

Disone

Has sanity prevailed? I don’t see much that’s different?
Eh... unknown.

While two minor structural modifications were made this was not the result of the lobby refurbishment. They were just repainting the third, fourth and 5th floors and needed to bring cranes into the lobby to do that. The lobby refurbishment has actually not started yet and likely will not start until well (months) into 2024.

If the two previous guests followed your logic and didn’t alert the staff of the problems with the bathroom, you didn’t, and the guest after you didn’t, guess what? It’s not getting fixed…You GOTTA speak up (ESPECIALLY at these prices), or I hate to say it, but you’re part of the problem too.
Housekeeping should have noticed the shower issue when cleaning the tub. As a frequent traveler, tub/toilet issues irk me more than anything.

Smiley/OCD

And Carowinds amusement park should’ve noticed that giant crack on their roller coaster…the cleaning crew is so short staffed, they’re in and out in record time so guests can check in…yes, they should’ve noticed it, but as a guest, if you have enough time to bellyache on social media, you should’ve taken half that time to call the front desk.

celticdog

Eh... unknown.

While two minor structural modifications were made this was not the result of the lobby refurbishment. They were just repainting the third, fourth and 5th floors and needed to bring cranes into the lobby to do that. The lobby refurbishment has actually not started yet and likely will not start until well (months) into 2024.

They also painted the ceiling. They were actively cleaning and painting the trim and ceiling while we were there July 23 through the 28th.

Disone

They also painted the ceiling. They were actively cleaning and painting the trim and ceiling while we were there July 23 through the 28th.
Yes. Sorry I should have clarified, by painting the third fourth and 5th floors I meant "of the atrium".

They didn't need the cranes to paint the third fourth and 5th floor hallways.🥴

Monkee Girl

Sorry. Liked for empathy
Thanks. It's ok. I had a similar situation with the Riverboat. They took it down on the 22nd for refurbishment and brought it back up on the 30th. Legit our arrival and departure dates! haha. We were lucky that we had a late flight out so were able to enjoy a bit of MK before leaving so were able to get on it for a trip (my friend had never rode it before). Just the risk you face when you go in the summer, I guess :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom