Grand Floridian lobby carpet redo

dstrawn9889

Anything from the BTX family of solvents will do. Ventilate with fan pushing clean air into the enclosed area (positive pressure ventilation ).
most of the time i see guys just using propane and a roofing torch to heat it to the point it can be easily scraped...

MerlinTheGoat

I'll echo the concerns about the replacement carpet possibly being less elaborate. Similar to the decorative downgrade in the rooms a few years ago (compromising the period architecture for a far more bland modern decor), the lobby floor has been considerably less attractive recently. Here's an older pic to compare-
DSC01786.jpg

Now I believe these were actually pics of the current carpet, but the carpet also had these beautiful elaborate throw rugs on top of the main carpet as well. These throw rugs have been missing for quite some time, and the result is far less appealing to say the least-

lobby_from_above.jpg

I do not know why the throw rugs were removed (cutbacks, damage, trying to avoid damage or asinine design choices), but they need to return. The lobby is lacking without them. And hopefully the base rug is not neutered either...

peter11435

I'll echo the concerns about the replacement carpet possibly being less elaborate. Similar to the decorative downgrade in the rooms a few years ago (compromising the period architecture for a far more bland modern decor), the lobby floor has been considerably less attractive recently. Here's an older pic to compare-
DSC01786.jpg

Now I believe these were actually pics of the current carpet, but the carpet also had these beautiful elaborate throw rugs on top of the main carpet as well. These throw rugs have been missing for quite some time, and the result is far less appealing to say the least-

lobby_from_above.jpg

I do not know why the throw rugs were removed (cutbacks, damage, trying to avoid damage or asinine design choices), but they need to return. The lobby is lacking without them. And hopefully the base rug is not neutered either...
Your top pic is the more recent one. The elaborate carpet in your first pic is what was just removed.

MerlinTheGoat

Your top pic is the more recent one. The elaborate carpet in your first pic is what was just removed.
Ah you are correct. I don't have a good excuse for messing that up, i had forgotten and my mom loves this hotel and seemed to think the carpets in the second pic were the current ones, i just assumed she was right after she showed me the pics. So at some point in the past decade or so, the carpets were actually made more elaborate than the second pic. Hopefully they retain the elaborate detail with the replacement, my comments about the guest rooms stand true.

peter11435

Ah you are correct. I don't have a good excuse for messing that up, i had forgotten and my mom loves this hotel and seemed to think the carpets in the second pic were the current ones, i just assumed she was right after she showed me the pics. So at some point in the past decade or so, the carpets were actually made more elaborate than the second pic. Hopefully they retain that detail with the replacement.
I believe it was sometime around 2008. It was the same time the tile was replaced with marble. Hopefully it's replaced with the same or better.

gmajew

Premium Member
I believe it was sometime around 2008. It was the same time the tile was replaced with marble. Hopefully it's replaced with the same or better.

If it was water damage that caused the rush fix we may see something temp for the time being... Unless this was a planned move..

MerlinTheGoat

The marble floors are quite lovely (should last a very long time if properly cared for too)!

I'm also curious when the entry-side of the GF facade was outfitted with what I believe to now be LED trim lighting. While i am often critical of the unfortunate condition of the lighting on the Magic Kingdom facing side of the hotel (which apart from Narcoosees which is also now LED, is still pretty much entirely dark), the entrance side of the resort is now looking quite great with most if not all light fixtures working. Granted I don't always pay as much attention to the entrance side, but I still think this must have been a relatively recent thing (past few years probably since quality LED lighting has become so affordable recently). I don't remember so many working lights on this side in 2010 or 2011, unless i just forgot. Hopefully the lagoon side will get some attention soon as well.

peter11435

If it was water damage that caused the rush fix we may see something temp for the time being... Unless this was a planned move..
Correct. Although I've seen many floods at WDW where carpet needed to be cleaned and dried. It seems odd that they would decide to remove and replace. That's very costly and seems like overkill unless the flood involved sewage.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You are correct. Hence why the positive pressure method. Positive pressure pushes outside air in. Where as negative pressure pulls air + combustible vapors across an operating motor.

Trouble is when dealing with flammable vapor you still need the explosion proof fan in the event airflow fails and the vapor plume spreads to the region of the motor even when using positive pressure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom