Pre-Trip Gonna end up fat and single...

Hey guys, :p

1701CD8C-DC7F-4149-A29F-32B22E2EDFB6_zpsamcm9ds3.jpg

I finally am getting around to writing a true pre-trip report. Usually, my Disney plans are set in stone oh, you know, 180 days out…. But planning this trip has been so different! I have changed my mind constantly about what day we’ll go to what park, what time we’ll eat at what restaurant, and even what restaurants to book an ADR for. Disney has not been cooperating either, as I have no idea when the Star Wars fireworks will be, or what time Animal Kingdom will stay open until, and if Rivers of Light will even be a nighttime show in the fall. I have been pulling out my hair, driving myself (as well as my boyfriend) completely and utterly crazy. He just doesn’t understand the struggle of planning THE ULTIMATE DISNEY TRIP. My boyfriend has literally given me NO input, so I’m on my own. Okay, maybe he did suggest T-Rex and returning to Teppan Edo and I shut him, but that’s beside the point. ;);)

5A4D8A01-3AFD-4E7F-AEE1-924D67D003CF_zpswdnhbibg.jpg

Myself and my BF, Joe

Now don’t get me wrong, I think of one the best parts of any Disney trip is the planning process! I sit at my computer with butterflies in my stomach looking at menus, and park hours, and firework show times. I probably have ten tabs open at all times of solely Disney websites. I wake up every morning and refresh my app to check on my reservations, just to make sure this is all real and not one big dream. I get myself all giddy and try to share my Disney planning accomplishments with people in my everyday life and they just don’t feel the same way!

Me: “Babe, I scored us a Be Our Guest reservation at 12 noon on our first day! TAKE A LOOK AT DEM APPLES.”
BF: “Nicole, what?! Are you talking Disney to me?”

So here I am, to share with you good people who understand my love and obsession with all things Disney and Disney planning. Without further ado, here are my pre-trip plans!
I’m too excited to sleep!!

My boyfriend and I are going to Disney from Friday, November 4th until Sunday, November 13th. That’s 10 days, 9 nights in my most favorite city in the world, the one, the only, Orlando!

F88589B0-FFD9-4CB5-B057-A4F83E654ADD_zpsvkdtvfdf.jpg

We have gone once before together, back in 2011, and we had an absolutely amazing time. I was not as knowledgeable back then, and we ended up just stumbling upon the Food and Wine Festival, and completely missing the Christmas Party. (Who knew these things existed? Who was I?)

168F4334-3DD0-4C54-9E33-C3DB38B40143_zpsxbpwlrt8.jpg

I moved last year to the Philadelphia area, so we will be flying out of Philadelphia at 6:10 PM, arriving in Orlando at 8:57 PM.

8902950F-7FEF-42FA-8CCB-8EB0BC305D60_zpsq6ebeilz.jpg

a0556c40-88d0-4e33-bb13-ab9a600f282b_zpsqupfnogi.png

Here’s hoping I can find my way around the Philadelphia airport, because as we all know, I am severely directionally challenged.
We plan to do 6 days at Disney, with the magic your way tickets with park hoppers and the water park add on, check out the Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, and spend 2 days at Universal (the dark side). Last Christmas, I read the Harry Potter series, for the first time, and I just could not put the books down. My boyfriend dragged me to his work Christmas party, after just finding out Dumbledore freaking dies, and I had everyone at his dinner table consoling me. We had a movie marathon, and I just think it’s time I checked out these other parks in my beloved city of Orlando.

AF851F05-B263-4735-97F6-4E701AEBB017_zps3xf9kq9i.jpg

09D7A238-2FE1-4DC5-B67D-8A983BB3233F_zpsgjkoakrl.jpg

48B87CBD-6876-4666-B9DF-E2D404288425_zpsox9i02f4.jpg

CA08DCE9-2E26-4497-A922-6F8738CD964F_zpsvtffxwk3.jpg

Since we fly in at night, and are trekking over to the dark side, this leaves us with an abundance of table service credits. Seems like such a great predicament to be in (right?!), but this has made planning my dining so tough! Where to eat, where to eat!? Now, a girl is not complaining, because after moving out of my parents’ house, I now know how hard it is to make dinner every night. (Mama, I miss your home cooking.) You must plan out what is needed at the grocery store, and you never realize the time and effort that goes into a meal that you devour in less than ten minutes flat. Is it strange that I am most looking forward to not cooking for ten days? I APPRECIATE YOU DINING PLAN.

I went back and forth between Coronado and Port Orleans Riverside. I was even pricing out All Star Sports and Art of Animation. After much debate, with myself, I finally settled on Riverside. The resort looks super gorgeous with a touch of romance, and I still can’t decide if I want to be in Alligator Bayou or The Mansions. It’s all just too beautiful that I think I may leave that decision up to the Disney Gods.

18710CC7-7643-4E9D-BA1D-B672C8F133CE_zps8faz9f6x.jpg

41D854F9-B570-44B4-9391-AB3D3EF8848B_zpscleotckq.png

420939EB-9CC1-493D-BCF2-C8CEE2BF3EEB_zpsy5jokt7a.png

C418CE07-0A98-4917-9F90-1AD56C017605_zpsuvnxa5ei.png

So there’s the basics, the flight, the hotel, the tickets. Now onto the details!

WDWDarling

Just caught up on your pre-trip and I have to say, this sounds like a pretty epic birthday trip. Hopefully for more reasons than one! :happy:

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Universal, especially the Harry Potter lands/attractions.

just knowing that Alligator Bayou can get confusing the 1st time, and at night walking to your room you will find yourself back where you started looking for your building once you cross the bridge for the 1st time.

^^^ YES, THIS!!! We just got back from staying at POR and we really loved it but we most definitely had this happen our first night back from the parks. We got off at the wrong internal bus stop and got ourselves all turned around. I'm going to blame it on being up since 4am that morning ;).

We were in Alligator Bayou building 38, room 3824 and we really liked it! It was a first floor, corner room with a river view and was a really quick walk over the bridge through the 'Ol Man Island Pool (which also means quick access to the pool bar) to the main lobby/food court/restaurant and bus depot. Just make sure you get off at the right internal bus stop coming home and you'll be fine :).

Can't wait to read all about your trip. Enjoy the pre-trip feelings :happy:.

LindaZR

Great plans! We are scheduled to be at Yak and Yeti same time as you,and I agree I wish they would announce AK night hours already. We usually do a family trip with my kids every May, but my sister and I are meeting to run the W & D race and have a sisters' long weekend (I live near Philly and she lives in Mississippi). I had her read your FQ trip report with your friend (that's where we are staying) and said our goal is to have that kind of fun. Have a great trip!

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Great choice. Be sure to take your favorite drink outside to watch Wishes!!!

Will do! Feel like I'll be seeing a lot of Wishes this trip, from the Poly to Grand Floridian, to the Contemporary and the Christmas Party! Let's hope all my wishes come true! LOL :) And you can bring drinks outside? I think some just did! LOL

Girl, Uni=dark-side ?? no way, lol. I really think that you'll like Universal. They pay just as much attention to detail as Disney does (IMO) and while it doesnt necessarily have that Disney Magic that you're accustomed to, you will have fun and you are going to love love love hogwarts and Diagon Alley. They have the thrill rides that Disney doesn't have. I'm still coming to terms with having to cancel my upcoming September birthday trip due to an unexpected surprise so I'll be green with envy when I follow along with your report.

I am so sorry about having to cancel your birthday trip! I hope everything is OK and you can reschedule for another date soon! Once has to postpone a trip with my friend and it was terrible, so I can't imagine what you are feeling! I will take your advice on Universal! I am going in with an open mind and am so excited to see all the Harry Potter attractions! Thank you for reminding me it is not the dark side LOL

Yeah a month earlier, 77 is the current status, alomst 76 :) There are other fantastic attractions at UNI but Harry Potter is the best.... maybe the Kong is open while you are there.. we are thinking about a day in UNI for the next October trip.. and otherwise for the next in 2017.

I will be interested to see if you venture off to Uni! Really looking forward to all the HP rides! AHHH we are both going soon!

Congrats your plans look great as others have said Excellent choice on your resort we have stayed at Riverside 5 times and French Quarter too many times to count. We have stayed at both and you cannot go wrong with either side, just knowing that Alligator Bayou can get confusing the 1st time, and at night walking to your room you will find yourself back where you started looking for your building once you cross the bridge for the 1st time. We have stayed at Alligator Bayou three times and the mansions twice. We requested building 18 right next to the quiet pool and as luck would have it all 3 times a corner room and a quick walk out our door to the pool. For the mansions we had Building 80 both times. We still prefer Alligator bayou over the mansions the walk is no biggie.

I cannot say which we liked Alligator bayou the best both were great, but what really matters is the rest of your stay will be fun. The dining hall IMHO is one of the best on Disney property the selection of food it outstanding (Build your own pasta, the carving station, the grille, salads, ect… will say the only real disappointment was no ice-cream sandwiches like they have over at French Quarter (build your own choose two giant cookies and they pile on 3 scoops of ice-cream, this sandwich is large enough for a family of 4 to share no problem.

All of your dinner reservations look great, hope you enjoy view the fireworks from the California grille. We will be over at the VFG from the 10th to the 13th for a quick stay and heading over to Top of the World Lounge on the 12th to watch the fireworks (such a great view at night) if you guys finish up too early drop me a line we can add you to our party for Top of the World Lounge access that evening.

With any luck I hope your BF surprises you on your birthday and maybe the next visit to WDW you will be planning a Disney wedding.

Single digits are great November will be here before you know it and you two will be on your way down to O-Town.

Thank you so much for your detailed repy! I am so excited to try Riverside, I remember seeing it a few times when the buses doubled up on PORS and POFQ when I stayed over at French Quarter. Since I am so bad with directions and navigating myself about, I will try and take your advice! I really like the themeing and all the photos I've seen of the bayou rooms, so I am just going to leave it up to fate. I will put in my requests and see what comes about!

Thank you as well for the invite! That is soooooooo awesome! I hope you enjoy quick trip! I am glad you approve and think my dining looks great! It took for freaking ever to finally narrow it down. I am happy I get to try so many signatures this go around, because with other trips it just seemed like a waste to use two credits when we had so many days in the parks. I am glad to have the extras this time!

November will be here soon, hoping the days slow down a little bit because this can never be over! :(

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
This is definitely going to happen one way or another - even if it's a quick meet in the Riverside food court. We are there from 4th to 18th arrive about 6ish I think. Have just booked Keys to Kingdom tour for 12th at 8am - so should be into an empty MK that morning. I have done a rough daiły plan but checking it over with my brother this weekend as need to involve him (he prob won't care but think I'll ask) double digits today :) :)

WE MUST! I like to eat so I'm sure I'll be at the food court all the time LOL! Once you know your finals plans we will have to see if anything links up! It is coming up so fast! I am jealous you arrive earlier than me on the 6th! I am so nervous coming in so late, I feel like I'm going to want to just take off and go to the parks, and I won't be able too! I really might be torturing myself arriving at night! Hopefully the resort can ease my excitement, or else I am trekking over to Disney Springs! LOL

I have lived in Philly most of my life. The airport is way better now then it used to be. At least they stopped going through you luggage. ;) But the only part that still is awful with the airport is security. But I have found if you go to one terminal and it's backed up sometimes better off walking down to the next one usually much better. Once in Airport proceed directly to one of the million Chickie's and get some crab fries.

Thank you! CRAB FRIES, yum! LOL Gimme a cold beer and some fries and hopefully all my worries will disappear! Have heard nothing but nightmares about the Philly airport so thank you for telling me it has gotten better! And geesh, will make sure I don't put anything questionable in my luggage. Gosh darn airport employees! And I want to get a side job there so I can get cheap flights to Orlando, what am I thinking?! LOL

Love the pre-trip report so far, especially since it sounds like we are in the same boat! My boyfriend has NO interest in hearing about the plans I am making for our trip, but I cannot contain myself. There is not a day that goes by where I am not checking a reservation or thinking of what rides we can do when, deciding where to eat, etc. We are also building in 1 day at Universal. At this point we have gone twice in the past year, so we want to just concentrate on the two Wizarding Worlds and 1 day will suffice for that :)

Speaking of Universal, it is a blast! I am a die-hard Harry Potter fan (nerd), so I've been there at least 6 times in the past 3 years. Plan to dedicate a large portion of your time there at Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. The detail in there is amazing! Frozen butterbeer is the best option, but if it is all chilly when you are there, I enjoyed the hot butterbeer as well. Butterbeer ice cream from Florean Fortescue's is amazing as well. Try to ride the Hogwarts Express going in both directions, as you see something different going from Hogsmeade and going into Hogsmeade.

Honestly, if you have any Universal questions, I'm happy to try and help!

Your insight on Universal is awesome! I put everything in my phone notepad for future reference, so thank you! I cannot wait to finally experience it! I hope two days is enough! I ended up getting the tickets from my work website which allows you to buy two days get one free, so if it comes down to it and we need a third day, that's always an option.

So glad we're on the same planning boat, my boyfriend is literally no help! I showed him the Citywalk restaurants and he ended up staring at Jimmy Buffet's burger menu for about 10 minutes before telling me he was hungry and can't help because this makes him too hungry. Glad they are laid back enough to just trust us with the planning! I can't even imagine what our plans would be if it was up to them! LOL

I'm with you on the constant checking, currently looking at about 5 Disney tabs on my toolbar. Oops!

Wow your trip looks awesome! Perfect length of time, awesome dining, and fun park plans. Universal is so great-very different from Disney but you should enjoy it.

I hear ya on the boyfriend situation. DH and I were together for almost 5 years before he proposed. We had been to Disney 4 times together before we got married and each time, no sparkler. Which wasn't a huge deal until time just passed and passed and nothing happened. We moved in together, nothing. The final trip as a non-married couple, again he didn't propose and I thought for sure it would never happen. A few weeks after we got home from that trip, we decided to buy a new $3,000 mattress and I thought FOR SURE he wasn't going to propose. Then the next month, surprise surprise, there it was! He actually said he thought about doing it on the trip but was concerned about bringing the ring through security and on the plane, all the while needing to keep it secret. We had an AMAZING Disneymoon and great trips ever since. There is hope and it will happen! Dreams do come true-us Disney princesses have to believe that, always.

Have a great trip, and happy planning until then!

I am so happy there are other people out there like me! Haha! My boyfriend keeps telling me "it's coming" but I won't believe it until I see it! I'm not banking on a Disney proposal, but I am hinting at it all that I can! A girl can wish can't she! LOL... I honestly can't picture him trying to get it through security either, or being sooo nervous about having it somewhere to travel with... watch he'll do it before we even get on the plane... We shall see! I am glad you got your happy ending and prince charming, and a DISNEYMOON. If I get a Disney proposal, not sure about my convincing powers for a Disney moon too. I just want those bride ears! :)

What a fantastic sounding trip!! We are going to be there the same time - and also hail from the Philly area. We are on the Dream Nov 4th-7th, but will be in the parks Nov 7th - 12th to! Perhaps our paths will cross- or maybe we'll catch a special Disney engagement!!! Fingers crossed for you ;):D.

We love Riverside, I think you will fall in love too. We have stayed on both sides, like both, but I think would lean towards the Mansions as my fave. So stately looking - just feel like I'm in another place while strolling along that river...

You mentioned the PB&J shake - I'm pretty sure you can order one in the Tune In Lounge. It's the little bar adjacent to 50s Prime Time. If so, no adr needed! We loved taking a little break in there last trip! Same 50's themeing, and glorious air conditioning!

Have loved your reports! Look forward to this one also! Happy planning! And hooray for double digits for both of us!! :D

YAY double digits! HOPE TO SEE YA REAL SOON! :) Thanks for the PB&J shake info! I think a pit stop there is a must. I am so excited about Riverside, literally go on the portorleans.org website everyday just reading about everything and looking at the photos. I hope to fall in love with it just like you! Enjoy the Dream, I want to do another Disney cruise soooo badly!

Finally got caught up on your PTR! Your plans look great. I think you made awesome ADR choices.
Now that you are a Harry Potter fan (I can't believe you had to go to a Christmas party after finding out Dumbledore died :jawdrop:), I know that you will LOVE Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. Both areas are themed spectacularly! I used the Unofficial Guide touring plans for doing both HP areas in one day. It would have worked well had I not forgotten my dramamine on the Hogwarts ride:depressed:. That mistake put us wayyyyy behind schedule. We got to see the main things we wanted to see, but would have loved more time to explore. You have 2 Uni days so you should be able to take your time and soak it all in.
Joe is a handsome guy and you make an adorable couple. My fingers are crossed that your dreams of a Disney proposal come true! I will be thinking about you and wishing for you while you are there :happy:!
I agree that the picture of wedding Ariel and Eric looks just like you and Joe ;)!

:cry::cry::cry::cry: Dumbledore! I was seriously devastated! Why!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for all the Harry Potter attractions, I have forbidden myself from watching any videos or looking at any pictures besides maps so I can fully immerse myself into the world and just experience everything first hand! I am sorry about your dramamine situation! At least you got in all the main attractions, and it just means you must return! Thanks for the compliment to Joe, and about us being an adorable couple. Hopefully soon, I can be just like all the other Disney princesses and get my prince. I can't be Anna, because I haven't a sister, so a prince will do! :) Thanks for your opinion on my ADR choices! After reading so many trip reports, I was about to change everything all over again! :)
I'm more concerned about the Cleveland Browns app. LOL

Don't hate on my Browns! LOL, they play the Eagles first game so I am trying so hard to go!!!!!!! :) Might get beat up, but hey! LOL

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Just caught up on your pre-trip and I have to say, this sounds like a pretty epic birthday trip. Hopefully for more reasons than one! :happy:

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Universal, especially the Harry Potter lands/attractions.

^^^ YES, THIS!!! We just got back from staying at POR and we really loved it but we most definitely had this happen our first night back from the parks. We got off at the wrong internal bus stop and got ourselves all turned around. I'm going to blame it on being up since 4am that morning ;).

We were in Alligator Bayou building 38, room 3824 and we really liked it! It was a first floor, corner room with a river view and was a really quick walk over the bridge through the 'Ol Man Island Pool (which also means quick access to the pool bar) to the main lobby/food court/restaurant and bus depot. Just make sure you get off at the right internal bus stop coming home and you'll be fine :).

Can't wait to read all about your trip. Enjoy the pre-trip feelings :happy:.

Glad you were in Alligator Bayou and still had a quick walk to the main resort area! I am kind of leaning towards these rooms with their themeing, but definitely don't want to waste time wandering around going in circles since I am directionally challenged. I like the mansions look too, gosh this is too hard! How was the pool bar? I totally forgot this even existed! Now back to the Disney website to research some more! Glad you think this trip sounds epic, I hope it lives up to it after all these months of planning alone. LOL

Great plans! We are scheduled to be at Yak and Yeti same time as you,and I agree I wish they would announce AK night hours already. We usually do a family trip with my kids every May, but my sister and I are meeting to run the W & D race and have a sisters' long weekend (I live near Philly and she lives in Mississippi). I had her read your FQ trip report with your friend (that's where we are staying) and said our goal is to have that kind of fun. Have a great trip!

Enjoy FQ! I loved it there so much! I feel like if I had to pick a resort to stay at for the rest of my life, out of all the resorts I've stayed this far, FQ would be it. It's so quaint and homey, you will love it! I feel you on those AK hours! I am debating switching to an earlier dinner in case ROL is ready and runs at 6, but I know not to bank on this. I just don't want to be eating super early because Flame Tree is so filling... release your accurate hours and show times already DISNEY!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Good luck on your run! And you will have an amazing sister trip! Maybe I'll see ya there! Can't wait!!!

StephK

Wow so exciting!!!! I am beyond jealous but so very happy for you too!!! I love POR, have stayed on both sides of the river and loved both! Riverside Mill is great, such an easy spot to eat breakfast before the parks or grab a quick snack or dinner when you're coming home exhausted after a long day.
Universal, while being super different, is still an absolutely fabulous experience. The parks just have a nice feeling and even though I felt very lost, like you, because I couldn't go mad and plan everything down to the minute, once we got there i realised its definitely not like Disney and you really don't need to! You can just go with the flow and take it all in slowly. We spent two full days and a half day at universal and I wouldn't change a thing! Harry Potter World was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced! Soak it in and enjoy every minute! :):)

cdeev8690

Yay PA! I'm originally from New York and moved to Philly, the Fishtown area, in November. My boyfriend is from South Jersey, the Mount Holly area, so we're veerrryyyy familiar with the Philly airport at this point, so much so that we usually end up flying to and from Newark :banghead:
It's actually not all bad. With any airport, it has its ups and downs but just like Disney, it's all about your "touring plan". Get there early, put your happy face on cause HELLO, you're going to Disney, and grab a drink once you get to your terminal!

You are going to LOVE Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley! I'm so jealous that you'll be seeing it for yourself for the very first time. It's totally magical (no pun intended). I usually save a day for myself to go to Uni while in WDW but it's definitely become more of a 2-day park in recent years. The food inside of the parks is not so great, even in the Wizarding World (unless you enjoy British fare, although I don't even think the Brits enjoy what's served in the park lol). I'd have breakfast at your resort and snack inside of the park and then have dinner at CityWalk. I'd even try to make time one of the nights you're there to really enjoy the evening entertainment at CityWalk especially Rising Stars, which IMO is so much fun!

And I feel you on being the weirdo in your friends that is all about Disney and trip planning. My friends give me a little grief, although I'm the first person they run to when they are wanting tips for their own trips. My boyfriend tolerates my fanatical obsession with the Worlds and really enjoys our time there although he's asked that we tone down the Disney trips for a few years (over my dead body). I'm also the lone planner, he leaves it all up to me and trusts my judgement, and I honestly prefer it this way (control freak).

We're going the first week of December and I'm also pretty confused over Animal Kingdom. It's definitely throwing somewhat of a wrench in my plans. My hours say it will close at 5PM every day I'm there although I have a reservation at Tiffin's for 5:45 my last night so I'm sure it will be extended just based on that. I'm not really too concerned if I miss Rivers of Light, I'll wait to see what the masses say about it if/when it finally opens.

Excited to follow along!

Second Star to the Right

Your insight on Universal is awesome! I put everything in my phone notepad for future reference, so thank you! I cannot wait to finally experience it! I hope two days is enough! I ended up getting the tickets from my work website which allows you to buy two days get one free, so if it comes down to it and we need a third day, that's always an option.

So glad we're on the same planning boat, my boyfriend is literally no help! I showed him the Citywalk restaurants and he ended up staring at Jimmy Buffet's burger menu for about 10 minutes before telling me he was hungry and can't help because this makes him too hungry. Glad they are laid back enough to just trust us with the planning! I can't even imagine what our plans would be if it was up to them! LOL

I'm with you on the constant checking, currently looking at about 5 Disney tabs on my toolbar. Oops!

Anojitos in CityWalk has never let me down. I really enjoy Mexican, so that is an awesome spot, and it's tucked away in comparison to Jimmy Buffet's and Emeril's, so I've never had to wait for a meal. Their margaritas are also really good.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong is a new ride at Universal, so I would expect the wait times are pretty high, so be prepared for that. There are a couple apps you can download for free that will show you the wait times. I've found them to be pretty accurate, and it's nice to be able to check when you are on the other side of the park! Also, Minion Mayhem consistently has some of the longest waits, so if you can do that first thing, I would highly recommend it.

Another good tip for a Disney die-hard, is to note that Universal is completely different when it comes to allowing bags on rides. I was so used to brining a decent sized backpack filled with all my Disney essentials that I did brought a big bag with me the first time I went to Universal only to find out that I needed a locker for my bag on some of the rides. You are able to keep your bag with you on some rides, but that is not the case for any of the rides in the Wizarding World areas, or any type of roller coaster. So, plan on packing a bit lighter than you might at Disney. You don't have to pay for these lockers, but that was completely new to me the first time I visited after frequenting Disney so many times.

Also, the walk from the parking lot or the cab area is a good 10-15 minutes to the park entrance. Be sure to factor that in if you are going for opening :)

LisaBelle

Anojitos in CityWalk has never let me down. I really enjoy Mexican, so that is an awesome spot, and it's tucked away in comparison to Jimmy Buffet's and Emeril's, so I've never had to wait for a meal. Their margaritas are also really good.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong is a new ride at Universal, so I would expect the wait times are pretty high, so be prepared for that. There are a couple apps you can download for free that will show you the wait times. I've found them to be pretty accurate, and it's nice to be able to check when you are on the other side of the park! Also, Minion Mayhem consistently has some of the longest waits, so if you can do that first thing, I would highly recommend it.

Another good tip for a Disney die-hard, is to note that Universal is completely different when it comes to allowing bags on rides. I was so used to brining a decent sized backpack filled with all my Disney essentials that I did brought a big bag with me the first time I went to Universal only to find out that I needed a locker for my bag on some of the rides. You are able to keep your bag with you on some rides, but that is not the case for any of the rides in the Wizarding World areas, or any type of roller coaster. So, plan on packing a bit lighter than you might at Disney. You don't have to pay for these lockers, but that was completely new to me the first time I visited after frequenting Disney so many times.

Also, the walk from the parking lot or the cab area is a good 10-15 minutes to the park entrance. Be sure to factor that in if you are going for opening :)
@Second Star to the Right is spot on about the bags. I hate Universal's bag policy :mad:. Be sure to plan in time for stowing your bag in the locker. We always get frustrated using the lockers. The traffic flow is terrible so the locker areas are always congested. The process to get a locker can be confusing, too.

Second Star to the Right

@Second Star to the Right is spot on about the bags. I hate Universal's bag policy :mad:. Be sure to plan in time for stowing your bag in the locker. We always get frustrated using the lockers. The traffic flow is terrible so the locker areas are always congested. The process to get a locker can be confusing, too.
Completely agree about the flow! They did not take crows into consideration when they built the locker spaces! If I go in a group, we have a system. One or two of us will take everyones bags and rent the lockers while the others go ahead and get in line. This cuts down the number of us huddled around the computer screens trying to rent the locker and it gets us in line a bit quicker. I never understand when I see a group of 6 all standing around trying to a rent a locker for one bag.

Oh, and you should really consider buying an interactive wand at Ollivander's...it's pretty darn cool!

Courtney6682

I have lived in Philly most of my life. The airport is way better now then it used to be. At least they stopped going through you luggage. ;) But the only part that still is awful with the airport is security. But I have found if you go to one terminal and it's backed up sometimes better off walking down to the next one usually much better. Once in Airport proceed directly to one of the million Chickie's and get some crab fries.

I've lived in Philly my whole life...never had any probs at the airport...Chickie's n Pete's does an amazing pork roll breakfast wrap and delish bloody mary's! So good!!

Longers

WE MUST! I like to eat so I'm sure I'll be at the food court all the time LOL! Once you know your finals plans we will have to see if anything links up! It is coming up so fast! I am jealous you arrive earlier than me on the 6th! I am so nervous coming in so late, I feel like I'm going to want to just take off and go to the parks, and I won't be able too! I really might be torturing myself arriving at night! Hopefully the resort can ease my excitement, or else I am trekking over to Disney Springs! LOL
WE WILL! :)
You know my thoughts on Riverside - Looove it there!
To be honest once we arrive we will hit the food court and then to bed as we will have been travelling for so long that day. The resort is beautiful though so I am sure you won't need a park and you might be able to spot Magic Kingdom fireworks?
I will of course share our plans when done but at the moment it looks like our Universal days match. It would be great if we could sort something with @Doc Disney too, (that's a photo I would love for my album) & who knows maybe you can call on your Disney friends for a celebration drink when you get your proposal :)

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Yes you can! In fact, if you have a good server, they will time your meal (or dessert) right and ask you if you want another cocktail or beer to go outside and watch! They even play the soundtrack to Wishes while you watch. Have fun

Wow! This all sounds so exciting! Thank you for telling me! I can't believe the amount of opportunities I will have this trip to catch Wishes! I'm going to be an emotional wreck every night! :)

Wow so exciting!!!! I am beyond jealous but so very happy for you too!!! I love POR, have stayed on both sides of the river and loved both! Riverside Mill is great, such an easy spot to eat breakfast before the parks or grab a quick snack or dinner when you're coming home exhausted after a long day.
Universal, while being super different, is still an absolutely fabulous experience. The parks just have a nice feeling and even though I felt very lost, like you, because I couldn't go mad and plan everything down to the minute, once we got there i realised its definitely not like Disney and you really don't need to! You can just go with the flow and take it all in slowly. We spent two full days and a half day at universal and I wouldn't change a thing! Harry Potter World was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced! Soak it in and enjoy every minute! :):)
Is it sick that I've already been stalking the Riverside Mill menus? I was trying to find a way to fit Boatwright's in, but it just seems too hard. I like the food court style because you can come and go as you please. I usually eat oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, so I am glad I will be able to stop over here before venturing out. And who doesn't love a midnight snack??
Thanks also for your Uni tips! I can't wait to try something new and be out of my element! You only ever get one first time to experience something, I can't wait to be amazed! :)

With the POFQ food court being under construction (hopefully not when we go, but could be!) maybe I will run into you and @Longers at the Riverside Food Court :)

We have to run into each other SOMEWHERE! I won't think bad thoughts and secretly wish your food court remains closed come November. I won't do it! LOL However, us meeting up must happen!

Can we say "Disney Alaskan cruise"? Talk about a sweet compromise. All the rugged terrain and fun any guy could want - plus 24/7 Disney for you!

YESSSSSS. I am dying for the Alaskan cruise. I MUST DO IT.

Yay PA! I'm originally from New York and moved to Philly, the Fishtown area, in November. My boyfriend is from South Jersey, the Mount Holly area, so we're veerrryyyy familiar with the Philly airport at this point, so much so that we usually end up flying to and from Newark :banghead:
It's actually not all bad. With any airport, it has its ups and downs but just like Disney, it's all about your "touring plan". Get there early, put your happy face on cause HELLO, you're going to Disney, and grab a drink once you get to your terminal!

You are going to LOVE Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley! I'm so jealous that you'll be seeing it for yourself for the very first time. It's totally magical (no pun intended). I usually save a day for myself to go to Uni while in WDW but it's definitely become more of a 2-day park in recent years. The food inside of the parks is not so great, even in the Wizarding World (unless you enjoy British fare, although I don't even think the Brits enjoy what's served in the park lol). I'd have breakfast at your resort and snack inside of the park and then have dinner at CityWalk. I'd even try to make time one of the nights you're there to really enjoy the evening entertainment at CityWalk especially Rising Stars, which IMO is so much fun!

And I feel you on being the weirdo in your friends that is all about Disney and trip planning. My friends give me a little grief, although I'm the first person they run to when they are wanting tips for their own trips. My boyfriend tolerates my fanatical obsession with the Worlds and really enjoys our time there although he's asked that we tone down the Disney trips for a few years (over my dead body). I'm also the lone planner, he leaves it all up to me and trusts my judgement, and I honestly prefer it this way (control freak).

We're going the first week of December and I'm also pretty confused over Animal Kingdom. It's definitely throwing somewhat of a wrench in my plans. My hours say it will close at 5PM every day I'm there although I have a reservation at Tiffin's for 5:45 my last night so I'm sure it will be extended just based on that. I'm not really too concerned if I miss Rivers of Light, I'll wait to see what the masses say about it if/when it finally opens.

Excited to follow along!

Ugh, and I thought nothing could be worse than Newark. I've gotten lost there quite a few times, and then once when I asked for instructions they led me to a closet. HAHA! Hopefully Philly isn't toooooo bad! Think happy thoughts for me!

I'm glad I got the two day park to park tickets plus and extra day free for Uni because I really don't know how much time we will need to get all we want done! I'm really hoping we can accomplish it all in two days, because then my plans are all shot to h-e-l-l! Thanks for the heads up on the food tho! Was checking out Three Broomsticks and Leaky Caldron and I would love to try them solely for the atmosphere because I'm a little leery on the food options! Hopefully my boyfriend and I can find something on the menus! Was thinking of doing lunch at one of these one day, then lunch somewhere else in the park another, and maybe do dinners at Citywalk? If we are ubering we won't really have a time constraint, and the Citywalk restaurants look good! I am optimistic I won't be sooooo exhausted that I end up going back to my room and ordering pizza.. LOL

Why must our boyfriends be so difficult? My BF tells me all the time after this trip we aren't going until we have children. (UM WHAT?!) I must be there for the opening of Avatar, and then Toy Story and Star Wars... little does he know I will be planning my pregnancies around when things will be opening at the parks.. Is this insane? (Don't answer that.)

And I really think Rivers of Light will be opening soon. I just have this gut feeling! I will hope good things for our trips! Enjoy your pre-trip feelings, I'd love to go in December one day!! :)

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster

I love Mexican! Will for sure check them out! Thank you!! And margaritas, say no more!

So far I've downloaded the Uni app, it's sort of similar to My Disney Experience with the maps and restaurants and what not, I really have to start looking at it more... I will take your advice on Minion Mayhem.. Should I start in Harry or end there?!

I've heard about the locker situation from a friend who recently visiting Universal, but thanks for the tips! I am so glad you told me that you don't have to pay for them because I was ready to start saving all my single dollar bills. Score! I will try to pack super light these days...

You're a lifesaver :)

:( :( I will try to keep this in mind and not let it get to me! Thank you! Boo to you Universal!

Completely agree about the flow! They did not take crows into consideration when they built the locker spaces! If I go in a group, we have a system. One or two of us will take everyones bags and rent the lockers while the others go ahead and get in line. This cuts down the number of us huddled around the computer screens trying to rent the locker and it gets us in line a bit quicker. I never understand when I see a group of 6 all standing around trying to a rent a locker for one bag.

Oh, and you should really consider buying an interactive wand at Ollivander's...it's pretty darn cool!

I WANT ONE!!!!! :)

I've lived in Philly my whole life...never had any probs at the airport...Chickie's n Pete's does an amazing pork roll breakfast wrap and delish bloody mary's! So good!!

Thank you! You make me feel a bit more hopeful for departure day!

I'm happy they finally made deal with Starbucks and realized the airport needed them more than Starbucks needed to be in PHL. The rent they were trying to charge them was a joke.

Not a fan of Starbucks..but glad their rent went down!

WE WILL! :)
You know my thoughts on Riverside - Looove it there!
To be honest once we arrive we will hit the food court and then to bed as we will have been travelling for so long that day. The resort is beautiful though so I am sure you won't need a park and you might be able to spot Magic Kingdom fireworks?
I will of course share our plans when done but at the moment it looks like our Universal days match. It would be great if we could sort something with @Doc Disney too, (that's a photo I would love for my album) & who knows maybe you can call on your Disney friends for a celebration drink when you get your proposal :)

That is a photo that we must get! It will go down in WDWMagic history! Look what these forums do, bring us all together for a common love from all around the real world! I love you @wdwmagic forums!

I'm sure I'll be exhausted too when I get down there, but my flight is really nothing compared to yours, so I better not complain! How crazy would it be if we run into each other at Universal and not Disney, though? We must run into each other when we are wearing crowns! LOL

This is great info...adore Mexican. Bookmarking for our Feb trip.

:) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom