Global Warming

Nemo14

I think if your biggest concern about global warming is the fate of Walt Disney World, you really need more help than Rush Limbaugh....:lol:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would call it that also if there were any shread of truth to the fact. What it is is an effort for some to

1. Enrich themselves off of fear mongering and,
2. Stay in the spotlight.

After re-reading my comment, I definately need to be a little clearer on the point.

I dont disagree that there is evidence that our Earths climate may be getting warmer. Where I disagree with all of the enviro doomsdayers is on the point that we (human race) is the driving force behind it. Anyone would be stupid to say that the human race has no affect on the planet. I totally agree that humans have a negative effect on the planet, but on a micro scale. The earth has cycled through warming and cooling patterns before, long before the dreaded SUV came into existance.

I guess my basic thought is that we need to be kind to the planet we live on. But do not try to guilt me into thinking that because of my lifestyle that I am dooming the planet to extinction, especially when those that are preaching to me, do ten times more "alleged" damage than I do.

rtiller

After re-reading my comment, I definately need to be a little clearer on the point.

I dont disagree that there is evidence that our Earths climate may be getting warmer. Where I disagree with all of the enviro doomsdayers is on the point that we (human race) is the driving force behind it. Anyone would be stupid to say that the human race has no affect on the planet. I totally agree that humans have a negative effect on the planet, but on a micro scale. The earth has cycled through warming and cooling patterns before, long before the dreaded SUV came into existance.

I guess my basic thought is that we need to be kind to the planet we live on. But do not try to guilt me into thinking that because of my lifestyle that I am dooming the planet to extinction, especially when those that are preaching to me, do ten times more "alleged" damage than I do.

Well said.

Pongo

I would call it that also if there were any shread of truth to the fact. What it is is an effort for some to

1. Enrich themselves off of fear mongering and,
2. Stay in the spotlight.

If someone other than Al gore wrote the bookand made the movie, would you still think this way?

I agree. The fact that we are not in a high school science teacher's predicted ice age is all the proof I need that the hundreds of scientists' warnings about global warming are wrong.

Hundreds? Yeah, try almost every scientist on Earth. That's a bit closer to real estimate.

Science is not a GENERAL CONSENSUS!

Actually. It is. A theory is just a peer-reviewed, respected, pretty much proven hypothesis that is supported and agreed upon by other scientists. When I saw "pretty much proven" it actually means "proven". Scientists are just cautious to claim anything as pure fact in their wording. But basically, theories are fact. Remember, gravity is also a theory.

But... we are doing the damage...

As an environmentalist since birth, I find it unbelievable that people are so unwilling to admit that humans are causing this to happen to our planet. Ho can you say we need to be kind to the planet but not be guilty about the damage you cause to it? Even i global warming wasn't happening, shouldn't we be kind to the planet just because it's out planet? It's our ONLY planet. Once we've wiped out the rainforests and raised the sea levels and killed off all the species on this one, we have nowhere else to go.

Scientists are coming up with doomsday theories lately because doomsday is what's approaching. Research how much rainforest is being destroyed every day. Research how many species are dying ever year. Actually read or watch An Inconvenient Truth without letting your biased opinions of Al Gore get in the way.

MAYBE, just maybe then people will actually understand what humans have been doing to our planet for the past FEW HUNDRED YEARS (when our planet has been in existence for over 3 billion). Talk about an impact.

"Read not to contradict, nor to believe, but to weigh and consider."
-Francis Bacon

hcswingfield

Whether it has any impact on the climate or not, it just makes sense to clean up the environment. I love how the nay-sayers want to talk about how much money is being made over telling people they may be having an impact on global warming. That amount of money pales in comparison to the amount of money being made by polluting industries that don't want to invest a small fraction of their huge profits into making their factories and products a little bit more ecologically friendly.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If someone other than Al gore wrote the bookand made the movie, would you still think this way?
Funny. You are the one that mentioned Al Gore. Not I. Doesnt he own the company selling Carbon Credits also?

Hundreds? Yeah, try almost every scientist on Earth. That's a bit closer to real estimate.
Can you direct me to an actual listing of almost every scientist on Earth that is emphatically stating that humans cause global warming?

But... we are doing the damage...
So, all the volcanos erupting, natural gas escapes on land and sea (that are naturally occuring), solar flares, and water vapor that naturally occurs in the environment has no impact on global warming?

As an environmentalist since birth, I find it unbelievable that people are so unwilling to admit that humans are causing this to happen to our planet. ...
So, please educate me on why the last ice age ended when there were no combustion engines, no rain forest depletion, etc, to cause it to end.

How can you say we need to be kind to the planet but not be guilty about the damage you cause to it? ...
So, I guess I should feel guilty for exhaling Carbon Dioxide? If I and every other living thing on the planet were to quit exhaling, trees would have less CO2 to convert into clean, pure, pristine oxygen.

Even i global warming wasn't happening, shouldn't we be kind to the planet just because it's out planet? It's our ONLY planet.
Yep, already said that.

MAYBE, just maybe then people will actually understand what humans have been doing to our planet for the past FEW HUNDRED YEARS (when our planet has been in existence for over 3 billion). Talk about an impact.

Yes, 3 billion years, give or take a million....going through changes, fluctuations, and adjustments in climate....all without us evil, disrespectful, trashy humans to get in the way.

nyscene911

The polution that is put in our air and water is what causes this (as you see it) debatable problem.

Thats debatable yet. There's quite a bit of compelling evidence that there are factors, such as the sun, which have a much greater influence on global temperature that does pollution.
We all know the sun has ~10 year cycles where its intensity increases and decreases. Did you know that many scientists believe that there are longer cycles with much greater fluctuations in intensity? The average intensity of the sun was weaker in the 1800's than it is today. The effect that has on global temperature is two-fold.
1. Greater intensity means more energy is being transmitted to the earth. The effect of that is pretty straightforward.
2. Greater intensity of the sun means that there are more solar winds. These solar winds block interstellar radiation from reaching the earth. The particules associated with interstellar radiation have been shown to promote cloud formation. More interstellar radiation=less cloud cover=more sunlight directly hitting the ground and water on earth. See where I'm going with this?

Also, look at some of the data that Al Gore tries to pass off as "confusing" and the like in his film. Take a hard look at the historical records comparing CO2 concentration and global temperature. Increases and decreases in concentration of carbon dioxide actually LAG behind similar increases in global temperature, indicated that increases levels of CO2 are an EFFECT of global warming, rather than a cause. This is because cold fluids are able to hold more gas(in this case, CO2) than are warm fluids (Thats why soda tests better cold!).

Finally, to the people talking about not listening to his high-school professor. It wasn't just his professor--it was a pretty widespread idea that found its way into professional papers and magazines such as Scientific America. The shift to global warming rather than global cooling was a recent one, with the first evidence of an increase in temperature taking place only in the past 50 or so years(previously, the avg. temperature WAS declining).

Wilt Dasney

I agree. The fact that we are not in a high school science teacher's predicted ice age is all the proof I need that the hundreds of scientists' warnings about global warming are wrong.

Good point on the "don't believe scientists because some have been wrong in the past." Doctors have been wrong as well, that's why I don't believe a thing they say.

I firmly believe that facts only get in the way of what I want to think.

For all the people who are replying to this post to argue with it, I'm pretty sure it was meant as sarcasm. :p

Just thought I'd point it out since no one has yet.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If I were you I wouldnt worry about global warming well all be dead anyway from bird flu or cancer from any one of the 987 things that they claim as a cause this week, or from the asteroid thats earth bound, or from a dirty bomb or from whatever they can invent as a scare to fill the newspapers or the 24 hour tv coverage. But dont worry theres bound to be someone that can be sued.

Besides I live on a hill

NWDMD

It is sad that an issue that 'could' impact our world so catastrophically is being so highly partisan-ly politicized (whether we're talking weather related catastrophe or economic). There are armies of supporters for both parties that have chosen sides simply based with which political party they registered to vote. We have others that have chosen sides based on information they have received from news media, television, radio, or newspaper.

The media? The problem is you have a journalist with no science background (and bias of their own) trying to write something that an expert told them. There are bound to be errors. For goodness sakes, the New York Times can't even spend 5 seconds of their day on a google search to find out that Disney doesn't own Discovery Cove... are you kidding me? Also, journalism tends to be one sided, for or against any issue, there is NO discussion, only one position tends to get told.

How about the internet? The internet has even less monitoring than the popular media. Any one of us can make a very professional looking website and jabber on for days and if we straw-man either side of the argument and give people information that supports the opinion that they've already made up, then they will run off and tell everyone when the conversation comes up.

The only facts and information worth discussing comes from primary literature. If it's not peer-reviewed, it's not worth reading. We shouldn't let the debate be Al Gore vs Rush Limbaugh, it should be So and So Ph.D vs So and So Ph.D with verifiable peer-reviewed research instead of political talking points.

Just my $0.02,
NWDMD

WDW Monorail

Oh no!! The ice caps are melting!!

If so, why are ocean levels decreasing??:shrug: :shrug: :veryconfu

WDW has to worry about tour groups and teens destroying the parks more than they need to worry about ocean levels.
What Disney really has to worry about is the chance that DLR suddenly floats of into the Pacific after an earthquake.:eek:

sbkline

The point is that science teachers teach the theories that are being touted by the scientists of their day. They don't just pull things out of their behinds and teach it as fact.

If a science teacher in 1985 was teaching that there is an ice age coming and that we would all be wearing parkas and living in igloos by the year 2000, it's because that's what is being taught by the "consensus of scientists" around the world, back in 1985.

Again, scientists are always coming up with some gloom and doom theory and, as this one shows, they are not infallible.

CBOMB

Doom, and Gloom sales newspapers, and commercial time on news programs. You very seldom hear about the thousands of people that went to WDW every day, and had a great time. Let something go wrong there, and see what kind of coverage you get. I firmly believe we should be good custodians of our planet. We should protect our enviornment, and conserve our resources when possible. I also believe that the enviornmentalist movement is being turned into a cult like religion for some. Just remember some of the same scientist believe methane gas being expelled by cattle is a major contributor to global warming. This fits in with the radical beliefs of some animal rights groups, and the really far out part of the vegetarian movement. When any group of people try to take their agenda, and cram it down others throats, we as free people should question what is their real motivation. Overlooking natural trends in climate changes, and causes of pollution that occur in nature is not good science. When you have an agenda the easiest thing to do is blame humankind for the problem.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Just remember some of the same scientist believe methane gas being expelled by cattle is a major contributor to global warming. This fits in with the radical beliefs of some animal rights groups, and the really far out part of the vegetarian movement.

Simple, give farmers free matches and some lengths of hose and conduct animal experimentation on animal rights activists, problem solved.

Vegetables have rights too, the right to be served as a side dish to a big plate of rare beef being one.

sbkline

Just remember some of the same scientist believe methane gas being expelled by cattle is a major contributor to global warming.

I hope they're wrong, because if farting is what's causing global warming, then I'd be one of the chief culprits. Maybe I'd better go into hiding so they don't come after me! :eek: :D :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom