Glen Campbell 'Rhinestone Cowboy' Singer, dies at 81

KentB3

Original Poster
Glen Campbell Dead at 81

(TMZ) Glen Campbell -- legendary country music singer best known for his 1975 hit, "Rhinestone Cowboy" -- has died after a long battle with Alzheimer's.

Campbell died Tuesday around 10 AM in a Nashville facility for Alzheimer's patients, according to a source close to his family.

The musician released more than 70 albums over a 50-year career, and had a series of hits in the '60s and '70s including "Gentle on My Mind," "Wichita Lineman," "Galveston," "Country Boy" and his best-selling single, "Rhinestone Cowboy."

Glen made history in 1967 by winning 4 Grammys in the country and pop categories, and took home CMA's Entertainer of the Year award in 1968.

Campbell was also an actor and TV host who starred in the variety show ,"The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour" on CBS from 1969-1972. The 2014 documentary "I'll Be Me" documented Glen's farewell tour and struggle with his Alzheimer's diagnosis.

He's survived by his wife, Kim Campbell, and 8 children. Kim's scheduled to speak at The Alzheimer's Alliance of Smith County luncheon in Tyler, Texas in November about the challenges faced by people living with the disease and their families.

Glen was 81.

Goofyernmost

When I first read it, this will make me sound bad, but, it won't be the first time, I thought.. wow... 81! I didnt' realize that he was so much older then me. Then I realized that he was only 11/12 years older then me. All of a sudden that passing thought that I might not be all that young anymore.

epcotisbest

I am not a country music fan at all, but for some reason Glen Campbell seemed like an easy going, relatable person, like someone you might enjoy sitting down and having a conversation with. RIP

wdwfan4ver

I heard of him and his music. I recalled him being on a Statler Brothers Show episode on the Tennessee Nashville Network once in the early 1990s. Glen was one of the true legends of country music. The Statler Brothers show lasted from 1991 to 1998. The show had current and past country music stars on the show that included Charlie Pride Charlie Daniels and Alan Jackson as examples.

Glen's era included country artists and groups like Charley Pride, Conway Twitty, Statler brothers, and many others. I heard of him because I listen to some country music growing up.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Glen Campbell was more of a crossover artist and not confined to just country music. He was very popular with everyone and has been missed for quite a few years now, since his illness and for sometime before that. And man, could he play that guitar.

5thGenTexan

I am not a country music fan at all, but for some reason Glen Campbell seemed like an easy going, relatable person, like someone you might enjoy sitting down and having a conversation with. RIP

He was not just a country music singer. He toured with the Beach Boys for a few months. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom