GF or Poly?

Epicpilot

Original Poster
Hi everyone! I have been looking at heading to the world again and noticed my beloved Poly would have construction going on during my stay. I have stayed at Poly during construction before and it really ruined the mode of the trip, so I was looking into possibly staying at the GF instead. What we like about the poly so much is how relaxing the mode of the resort is and I am wondering if it will be just as relaxing at GF? Money is not an issue for us so what would you do, Poly while there is construction or GF?

sloppy.joey

The Poly is much better theme wise IMO and construction is definitely an issue... hmm. The GF is definitely a very nice and elegant hotel also with great themeing but of a completely different kind. If your looking for as good of themeing of the Poly you might want to check out AKL which is absolutely spectacular theme wise! For ease of access to MK the GF would definitely be your next best option! There are so many great deluxe resorts, if you don't mind me asking, is there any particular reason it's definitely between these resorts?

Epicpilot

Original Poster
The Poly is much better theme wise IMO and construction is definitely an issue... hmm. The GF is definitely a very nice and elegant hotel also with great themeing but of a completely different kind. If your looking for as good of themeing of the Poly you might want to check out AKL which is absolutely spectacular theme wise! For ease of access to MK the GF would definitely be your next best option! There are so many great deluxe resorts, if you don't mind me asking, is there any particular reason it's definitely between these resorts?
The reason why is that we want to stay in the monorail loop for MK for the convenience and the contemporary just, well, seems boring to us.

sloppy.joey

That's what I thought and unless your into that kind of decor, the contemporary definitely can feel less exciting then the other two. Have checked to see if the GF has construction? If not I would stay there, and it might be fun to try a different resort and you won't be disappointed! If it's during the holidays the gingerbread house at the GF is always very exciting!

Mrsdonaldduck

We have stayed at both GF and Poly and they are both incredible resorts. We do prefer the GF and just love it's layed back atmosphere. I would say give it a try but ensure it isn't having construction going on. When are you going? We were there last August in the thick of DVC construction but it was still wonderful

WDW95

Will the GF DVC be completed by then?

What about Wilderness Lodge? It also has that relaxing, secluding feeling as Poly. Even though it is not on the monorail loop as you wanted, they do have good water taxi service to MK. You could even water taxi to the Contemporary and take the monorail from there.

However the GF is a great resort if your adamant about being right on the monorail. I would suggest getting a waterside room if possible, it really makes the difference. I would avoid Big Pine Key since that is closest to the Poly and you may get some construction noise. I really liked staying in Conch Key with the view of the marina and shores of the the Seven Seas Lagoon. It felt really secluded. Though it is the furthest from the monorail, the water taxi dock is right next door.

Epicpilot

Original Poster
Will the GF DVC be completed by then?

What about Wilderness Lodge? It also has that relaxing, secluding feeling as Poly. Even though it is not on the monorail loop as you wanted, they do have good water taxi service to MK. You could even water taxi to the Contemporary and take the monorail from there.

However the GF is a great resort if your adamant about being right on the monorail. I would suggest getting a waterside room if possible, it really makes the difference. I would avoid Big Pine Key since that is closest to the Poly and you may get some construction noise. I really liked staying in Conch Key with the view of the marina and shores of the the Seven Seas Lagoon. It felt really secluded. Though it is the furthest from the monorail, the water taxi dock is right next door.
I have stayed at WL before but I preferred the Poly, I don't know what it was, but there was just something about WL that Made me confused, The only thing I can think of causing this is being used to being in log cabins in Snowy places and than a log cabin style hotel in sunny Florida...

sloppy.joey

Right now I'm looking at going over Christmas break which is when DVC construction will be starting. Thanks for the help everyone!
The DVC construction at GF is set to have a grand opening in Oct. 2013 and the Gingerbread house and Xmas decorations at the GF definitely make it worth it! Last year they gave out commentary chestnuts (roasted right outside the lobby) as you came in! :) Construction at Poly can definitely be disruptive and I would stick with GF.

darthspielberg

Normally I'd say Poly, but I know construction there can be an issue, especially noise wise. Under your parameters, I'd say GF, even though I kind of find GF to be a tad stuffy in terms of atmosphere.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hi everyone! I have been looking at heading to the world again and noticed my beloved Poly would have construction going on during my stay. I have stayed at Poly during construction before and it really ruined the mode of the trip, so I was looking into possibly staying at the GF instead. What we like about the poly so much is how relaxing the mode of the resort is and I am wondering if it will be just as relaxing at GF? Money is not an issue for us so what would you do, Poly while there is construction or GF?

GF. No doubt. Poly just seems run down to me. That coupled with construction, It would be GF. And GF is our fave resort.

DiSnEyF@n

Just another idea would be to stay at he Yacht Club. You can't go wrong there, esp when it comes to the theme of the hotel. It is breathtakingly spectacular and within walking distance to EPCOT. If you don't stay there, check it out for your next trip to the World. I promise you won't regret it :)

epcotisbest

The DVC construction at GF is set to have a grand opening in Oct. 2013 and the Gingerbread house and Xmas decorations at the GF definitely make it worth it! Last year they gave out commentary chestnuts (roasted right outside the lobby) as you came in! :) Construction at Poly can definitely be disruptive and I would stick with GF.
And commentary chestnuts are so much more interesting than those with no opinion at all.

zurgandfriend

I was disappointed in the Poly but when we stayed the room really needed a face lift. Now I think it's reversed The GF could use some TLC. If you get a re-furbed room at the Poly I'd say go for it.

Zman-ks

I love the Poly myself.....although you can't go wrong with the GF either.

75.gif

Soarin' Over Pgh

Polynesian. With or without construction. They were redesigning the rooms when I was there last month and honestly, I didn't even notice. No noise, no moving trucks, just a few 'refurb' signs up and that's it. Shrug, move along.

It's such a beautiful resort. I could live there.

Epicpilot

Original Poster
Polynesian. With or without construction. They were redesigning the rooms when I was there last month and honestly, I didn't even notice. No noise, no moving trucks, just a few 'refurb' signs up and that's it. Shrug, move along.

It's such a beautiful resort. I could live there.
No it's not the room refurb, which ends in September,It is the DVC construction which is scheduled to start later this year.

As for yacht club, I have looked at going there but the problem I have is that I live at the Jersey Shore so it seems like home to me, which sounds like a good thing though is actually not that good to us because it doesn't really feel "special" which we like about disney hotels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom