Getting Home Resort Booking 6 Months Away -- Just Made Resale Purchase

Vera

Original Poster
Hi everyone!
I've been lurking for quite some time. Hubby and I have debated joining the DVC for...ever. This year we did it! Well, almost -- Disney has our account and we are waiting for ROFR to pass... I think it will. We paid a reasonable resale price at Bay Lake - (150 points).

Since Disney has 30 days to hold while evaluating and then we have to anticipate another few weeks to officially CLOSE our contract... that puts us WAY beyond the 11 month home resort advantage timeframe.

I am looking to go in September during the Jewish Holidays. I fear that Bay Lake will be booked by then!!

Was wondering what your experiences were with booking so close to arrival date. Hoping for a 1 bedroom Magic Kingdom view.

Thanks everyone - and looking forward to getting to meet you.
Vera

Disneykidder

I just checked the member web site and what you want for that date is still available. It is possible to get it in a few months.

Just try as soon as you close. You can also call ahead of time. I didn't receive my paperwork for weeks after closing and if I hadn't called, I wouldn't have know that I closed. Member services gave me all the info to log into the member site and explore.

Vera

Original Poster
ooh thank you Disneykidder for checking! Appreciate that. I'm trying to be patient but I really want to get a particular weekend since my children are off from school. And I have a feeling that not everyone gets that holiday. I live in NY - so we have all the Jewish holidays as part of our school calendar.

Ok thanks so much everyone. :)

And I will absolutely check ahead of time instead of just waiting for paperwork.
V

gwhb75

If worse comes to worse, there are other resorts that are quite nice too. I get wanting to stay at Bay Lake since it's so close to MK, but don't stress if that isn't available. Our home resort is Saratoga Springs (SSR), but we've only ever stayed there once for four days. Our favourite resort right now is Animal Kingdom Lodge (AKL), and we can always get a room there in September at the 6 month mark (we normally go in September each year). Hopefully BLT works out for you though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You should be OK. You have a good shot to be able to book by early Feb which still gets you in before the 7 month window for owners at other resorts. I have heard that the 1 BR villas are easier to get too. The studios and 2 BRs fill up faster. Not sure if that's a scientific fact or more of a DVC urban legend. If you can't get a MK view 1BR the lake views are really nice too. There is a large section on the northern part of the outer circle which are classified as lake view but still have a view of the castle and fireworks, you just need to look left a little. If you get a lake view and request an even number room on a high floor you have a shot at getting one of these rooms. The only downside is they are the farthest from the elevator closest to the connector bridge to CR. Here is a good list of BLT rooms with tons of pictures of the room views:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2257082

Vera

Original Poster
wow thanks GoofGoof -- I will most certainly look into those room. And yes, gwhb75 - you have a point. I don't HAVE to stay at BLT. I need to manage my expectations for the first year. There are years of vacationing to come - MK view can wait. :)

Appreciate the feedback.
V

Phonedave

ooh thank you Disneykidder for checking! Appreciate that. I'm trying to be patient but I really want to get a particular weekend since my children are off from school. And I have a feeling that not everyone gets that holiday. I live in NY - so we have all the Jewish holidays as part of our school calendar.

Ok thanks so much everyone. :)

And I will absolutely check ahead of time instead of just waiting for paperwork.
V

I am in NJ, so our schools are also out for most of the major Jewish holidays. I have never found that to be a popular travel time. You would have a much harder time booking something during the New Jersey NJEA convention dates (also known as "New Jersey weekend" at WDW) That is at the beginning of November, and it is during Food and Wine. Couple Food and Wine with a 4 day weekend that the entire State of NJ has no school on, and rooms become scarce, especially in the EPCOT resorts. I am already booked for next November at SSR and will wait list at BWV as soon as my window opens (or hopefully just book - no wait list). You should be pretty good getting a room somewhere during your planned trip.

-dave

trs518

wow thanks GoofGoof -- I will most certainly look into those room. And yes, gwhb75 - you have a point. I don't HAVE to stay at BLT. I need to manage my expectations for the first year. There are years of vacationing to come - MK view can wait. :)

Appreciate the feedback.
V
I would also suggest using this site,http://dvcnews.com/index.php. It's very helpful when planning a vacation

Vera

Original Poster
Thanks everyone -- I guess i need to find a calendar of events / conferences / expos so I can manage my trips around them all. Great advice!
V

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are you familiar with touringplans.com? For about $12/year, they provide a detailed crowd calendar with projected crowd levels on a scale of 1 to 10. Just search the Internet and you should be able to find a discount code that will save 10-20% on the annual subscription.
I like their lines App too which comes with the $12. It's not as good as the WDW Magic app of course, but a close second;). Sometimes I like to pop it up at work and see how long the line is at Splash Mountain or Tower of Terror and imagine I'm there for a few minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom