Get 4 Walt Disney World Tickets Scam

Did you fall for this scam and share too?

• Total voters

glvsav37

Saw one on FB the other day that had Disneyland logo on top and pictures of the 4 orlando theme parks. The headline even said something like "Win free passes to all 4 Disneyland Parks" or something like that.

The comments we hysterical...people tagging other people, ones posting "pick me, pick me"

I was like :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Goofyernmost

Slightly off topic, but, worth a warning. I was recently, allegedly, contacted by a friend that I have on Facebook, via Facebook and he was all excited about this deal that he heard about where you send in your name and some highly benevolent group of people are donating money to older people in an effort to equalize the wealth. (First warning sign).
It was used with a picture of my friend and seemed to be absolutely legit. Actually, it started out by asking me to be Friends with him. I was a little puzzled because I thought he already was, but, then again I hadn't heard from him in about three years, so I thought maybe I had cleaned him off my friends list and now I was to lazy to look it up. (that should have been my first sign, I missed that one).

Anyway the message told me that he had just received his check for 100K and had safely deposited it in his account and how relieved he was about having some financial security. He said that I should contact these people immediately because the offer is due to end soon and gave me a link to another Facebook site to make contact. The name of the organization was IMF or International Monetary Fund and they were attempting to equalize the world wealth so that all could live well and without major burden. (right)

I have to admit that I was bewildered from the start, it didn't sound right from the get go. I begged off saying that I had an appointment to get to and I'd talk to them later. Then after a half hour or so, he, allegedly started to message me about every hour asking if I had contacted them yet. (yet another sign). That coupled with the fact that I have known this guy for years and the language and communication was nothing at all like him. I looked into it further. Upon checking out my Friends list, wouldn't you know it, all of a sudden he was listed on there twice. I quickly unfriended him (twice) and changed my Facebook pin and have not heard anything since then. I never pursued it far enough to know what the next step would be, but, the idea that they could hack his Facebook ID, pictures and all and contact his friends list is alarming. It is quite a temptation when a friend tells you that they got 100K free, no strings attached especially if you have resorted to eating Alpo. (I haven't yet)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Slightly off topic, but, worth a warning. I was recently, allegedly, contacted by a friend that I have on Facebook, via Facebook and he was all excited about this deal that he heard about where you send in your name and some highly benevolent group of people are donating money to older people in an effort to equalize the wealth. (First warning sign).
It was used with a picture of my friend and seemed to be absolutely legit. Actually, it started out by asking me to be Friends with him. I was a little puzzled because I thought he already was, but, then again I hadn't heard from him in about three years, so I thought maybe I had cleaned him off my friends list and now I was to lazy to look it up. (that should have been my first sign, I missed that one).

Anyway the message told me that he had just received his check for 100K and had safely deposited it in his account and how relieved he was about having some financial security. He said that I should contact these people immediately because the offer is due to end soon and gave me a link to another Facebook site to make contact. The name of the organization was IMF or International Monetary Fund and they were attempting to equalize the world wealth so that all could live well and without major burden. (right)

I have to admit that I was bewildered from the start, it didn't sound right from the get go. I begged off saying that I had an appointment to get to and I'd talk to them later. Then after a half hour or so, he, allegedly started to message me about every hour asking if I had contacted them yet. (yet another sign). That coupled with the fact that I have known this guy for years and the language and communication was nothing at all like him. I looked into it further. Upon checking out my Friends list, wouldn't you know it, all of a sudden he was listed on there twice. I quickly unfriended him (twice) and changed my Facebook pin and have not heard anything since then. I never pursued it far enough to know what the next step would be, but, the idea that they could hack his Facebook ID, pictures and all and contact his friends list is alarming. It is quite a temptation when a friend tells you that they got 100K free, no strings attached especially if you have resorted to eating Alpo. (I haven't yet)

All you need to do this is a Facebook app developer account, . If you do not have a FB/Twitter account I'd recommend you get one and disable so no one can pretend to be you on FB/Twitter

Unplugged

A few things most people (not all, just most) seem to be clueless about is that it doesn't take magical super powers to create faux sites for businesses or people and certainly don't give 2 shakes about the topic of security. They don't get that grabbing photos from any Facebook page is a matter of dragging'n'dropping off the Facebook page to your desktop, assuming you have access to that page via Like or Friends. Not to mention, most people apply zero security to their Facebook page in that they allow ANYONE to see their content, from posts to photos. At the MINIMUM, tighten it to Friends of Friends, but as you don't know most people your friends are connected with, you should really allow no access except to Friends.

If you don't believe it, browse a friend. Then pick one of their friends or friend's kids at random. I did this with a friend to prove to her that she & her husband need to teach their kids to lock it down. I was showing her photos of their daughter's friends (friend of a friend of a friend, etc.) from one of their Spring Break trips in a matter of seconds. I could tell them where she worked, who she was dating, and where they went on their trip. Keep in mind, these were High School kids and I know a lot of people who let their pre-teens use Facebook!

Security is everything people! You don't leave your house unlocked with a sign pointing to the best way in, do you?

Unplugged

Disney is not going to offer anything for free. Period. Any "free" item is subject to paying double for something else. Magical!
Don't forget about the new "Free Item Surcharge" of $15 they're thinking of adding, regardless that you're paying double elsewhere. Oh yes, and the "Premier Free Item" fee of $25 so you're free item is sure to be one of the first. o_O

Blairnicol

Like this one is always on my feed from friends that believe its legit that they are giving away free trips to WDW. Look it even has over 30,000 followers and growing! But still that should tell you it's not legit right there. The real WDW site has millions. Lol :banghead::facepalm::joyfull:

View attachment 133686
I have friends that share this one ALL THE TIME. It frustrates the crap out of me because it is so obviously a scam. I think they even know it's not WDW's page, but they think that some one (maybe they think it's a travel agency??? I don't know...) is just GIVING trips to WDW away out of the kindness of their hearts??? I've reported the various incarnations of that page that have materialized over the years-mostly because I don't want anyone I know to get screwed. Even if it is their own dumb fault.

andy773

This is probably a stupid question, but what happened to people who clicked the link or forwarded the link to friends? Did it install malware on their computer or something like that? Or did it add them to some spam mailing list? I'm not on Facebook so I never see this crap.

Unplugged

This is probably a stupid question, but what happened to people who clicked the link or forwarded the link to friends? Did it install malware on their computer or something like that? Or did it add them to some spam mailing list? I'm not on Facebook so I never see this crap.

If they followed the faux stuff to a physical web site (non-Facebook), it could indeed attempt to install malware. Otherwise, when people "Like" it in Facebook, the people running the faux deal then have access to your personal information on Facebook. Depending on how much personal information you put into it will depend on how much they get. For most people, that's a lot. Phone numbers, emails, birthday, friends, etc. By adding yourself to this faux stuff, your essentially helping them build a detailed list of who they can scam or steal from.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Saw one on FB the other day that had Disneyland logo on top and pictures of the 4 orlando theme parks. The headline even said something like "Win free passes to all 4 Disneyland Parks" or something like that.

The comments we hysterical...people tagging other people, ones posting "pick me, pick me"

I was like :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Man i love all 4 Disneyland parks...SIGN ME UP! :eek:

Unplugged

Another advantage of NOT being on Facecrook!
You're right, but the issue is bigger than that. It's not a Facebook problem. It's people that don't take time to understand the technology issues at hand. I know a lot of people who claim the same thing you do, but in their case, they openly post their info elsewhere. I've seen family blogs, shared photos with personal info on each photo so "their family can find them easily", LinkedIn, and other forums including this one. With search engines like Google & Bling, your info can be correlated to expose a lot about you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom