Gay Days

Scuttle

Ok I'm thinking of planning a trip june 3-6, but I know it's during gay days. What is gay days like? Do the gays have flags and all that over the top stuff or what? I know Disney does not advertise it or even acknowledge it, so I am curious to get some insider info.

Yoop33

If you are going with family and or kids, I would completely AVOID Gay Days. I was working in the park last year and was COMPLETELY uncomfortable. I didnt think it would be a problem at first but after an hour into my shift, having guys yell for my from a hundred yards away, hitting on me, flaunting their sexuality, the random and ridiculous outfits, the saying on tee shirts, etc, etc, made me very uneasy. I have nothing against anyone for having their own views, but just dont make me uncomfortable and im cool with you.
Many there were cool and respectful, but having to try to explain why that guy is dressed in drag at the Magic Kingdom to your kids makes things a little difficult.
If you want the experience of the largest gay club on the planet then go for it, otherwise Id wait a couple days..
PS... Ill never work a Gay Weekend again

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

If you are going with family and or kids, I would completely AVOID Gay Days. I was working in the park last year and was COMPLETELY uncomfortable. I didnt think it would be a problem at first but after an hour into my shift, having guys yell for my from a hundred yards away, hitting on me, flaunting their sexuality, the random and ridiculous outfits, the saying on tee shirts, etc, etc, made me very uneasy. I have nothing against anyone for having their own views, but just dont make me uncomfortable and im cool with you.
Many there were cool and respectful, but having to try to explain why that guy is dressed in drag at the Magic Kingdom to your kids makes things a little difficult.
If you want the experience of the largest gay club on the planet then go for it, otherwise Id wait a couple days..

I was under the impression the groups only wore shirts. They dress up like the movie Birdcage? Now I want to go. :lol: Joking, but isn't it kinda hot to be dressing up in drag in June?

Upvote 0

mommyrosa2

Go and enjoy yourself! You won't notice a difference. And if your kids do, it could be a fantastic learning experience for them.

I too agreee with going and enjoying yourself. While I've never been in June during this time, I can tell you that on one of our trips back in October of '09, we stayed at CSR and there was a gay/lesbian/transvestite convention going on that same week at the resort and it didn't bother us one bit. Everyone was respectful and my kids weren't really fazed. Although i have to admit that explaining to my then 10 yr old why men were dressed in womens bikinis by the quiet pool wasn't the easiest conversation, we did chalk it up to a learning experience and we did share some laughs. :)

Upvote 0

menamechris

Uumm..you work at the Walt Disney World Resort? Wow, you must be uncomfortable every day you go to work...

Upvote 0

Yoop33

I was under the impression the groups only wore shirts. They dress up like the movie Birdcage? Now I want to go. :lol: Joking, but isn't it kinda hot to be dressing up in drag in June?

I saw Drag Queens, Angels (with fully extended wings), plenty of spandex on people who shouldnt have been wearing it, and just random decorations like they just came from some kind of parade.

Upvote 0

Tigger1988

I see spandex on people who shouldn't be wearing it all the time in Disney, add low cut shirts, 2 sizes too small pants with "Juicy" or "sexy" stretched across someone's bottom... not exclusive to gay days.

Though now that I know Drag Queens are involved I would love to go. Gay days sound fun to me and I'm a straight female.

Upvote 0

MrsWhiffo

Tattooed Disney Geekster
I see spandex on people who shouldn't be wearing it all the time in Disney, add low cut shirts, 2 sizes too small pants with "Juicy" or "sexy" stretched across someone's bottom... not exclusive to gay days.

My thoughts exactly, and I can assure you that most of my gay friends would look totally hot in a shirt two sizes too small :)

Upvote 0

Rob562

I've been to Gay Days three times before (this June will be my 4th), and in those years I've only ever seen one person in drag.
In fact, the only over-the-top displays of affection I saw was a late-teens/early-20's straight couple who were either showing off, or the guy was a little uncomfortable and wanted to "prove" his straight-ness.

And Gay Days really make me mourn the loss of the Adventurers Club even more. There truly is nothing like the Hoopla or the maid's Sing-Along with a Library full of Guests who "get it" and are totally into the show. It also allowed the Cast to go a little farther with the Guests than they usually did.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Yoop33

Yikes. Well, hope the job search is going well. WDW is certainly not a place I would want to work if I was offended by diversity...

Apparently you didnt read my post. I explained I wasnt offended by people's views. I have many gay friends especially here in orlando and many I work with, but non of then hit on me and know not to make me uncomfortable. This is the 21st Century, I get it, but have some respect but others and their views even if they are different and dont push your views on someone that knowingly and obviously has different views...
i.e. Obvious Gay Male making a pass and or hitting on an Obvious Straight Male... Thanks just uncool

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I've been to Gay Days three times before (this June will be my 4th), and in those years I've only ever seen one person in drag.
In fact, the only over-the-top displays of affection I saw was a late-teens/early-20's straight couple who were either showing off, or the guy was a little uncomfortable and wanted to "prove" his straight-ness.

And Gay Days really make me mourn the loss of the Adventurers Club even more. There truly is nothing like the Hoopla or the maid's Sing-Along with a Library full of Guests who "get it" and are totally into the show. It also allowed the Cast to go a little farther with the Guests than they usually did.

-Rob
So very true especially regarding the AC. I have often maintained that AC during gay days should have been included in the Disney top 10.

Upvote 0

MrsWhiffo

Tattooed Disney Geekster

Though now that I know Drag Queens are involved I would love to go. Gay days sound fun to me and I'm a straight female.

Apparently you didnt read my post. I explained I wasnt offended by people's views. I have many gay friends especially here in orlando and many I work with, but non of then hit on me and know not to make me uncomfortable. This is the 21st Century, I get it, but have some respect but others and their views even if they are different and dont push your views on someone that knowingly and obviously has different views...
i.e. Obvious Gay Male making a pass and or hitting on an Obvious Straight Male... Thanks just uncool

Seriously dude are you really that handsome that men are just falling at your feet and hitting on you constantly? :lookaroun

Upvote 0

Yoop33

Seriously dude are you really that handsome that men are just falling at your feet and hitting on you constantly? :lookaroun

Lol Well when there are 25,000 Gay males in 1 place at one time the odds tend to be a little higher. I assumed you knew this was a thread about "GAY DAY" and not "EVERY DAY"

Upvote 0

menamechris

I read it, and understood it. I just don't usually buy into the whole "It's okay for me to say this, and my viewpoint is valid, because my best friend is (fill in the minority noun)." Sorry...

I am sorry that you had an unfortunate experience during Gay Days. I am pretty sure that it was an isolated incident, however. Can I get you a Fastpass or Space Mountain or maybe Splash Mountain? Opps...I forgot..you weren't a guest....

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom