Fun times at Disneyland Paris...

brich

Original Poster
I don't mean to offend anyone here but I have to share this story. When my wife and I went to Disneyland Paris back in 97, we saw that they had a Wild West type show. As we were hanging out near the exit of this show, they opened the doors to let out the crowd. 95% of the people coming out had on cowboy hats. Not unusual I guess in our country but interesting to see in France. As we watched the people coming out, we both noticed that these cowboy hats were on backwards. Before we knew it, we noticed just about everyone's hat was on backwards!

We casually would say as someone went by, "Hey, your hats on backwards!". They would respond with a big smile and keep going. We realized most of the people we said this to did not speak English. So now we're going to have fun with this and we did. We just kept going up to people saying their hat was on backwards. If they didn't understand, we would throw in some other comments like, "Nice chaps there John Wayne..." and "Line up cowboy..." To further the laughs, we even said it to the people who did not have their hats on backwards and they usually responded in perfect English,"No it's not..." A good way to tell an American overseas, they have their cowboy hats on right... I guess it was just revenge for all the French speaking cast members that would yell at me in their native tongue when I got on a Small World boat before I was supposed to and for not sitting right down on Pirates. I know, it's their country and I should'nt expect them all to speak English. But my French is so poor, I had no idea I was such trouble... :sohappy:

Let me add that our time there was great. Everybody we encountered was very polite and accomodating. Could not have asked for a more hospitable experience. It did make me more tolerant of non English speaking guests at WDW. So long as they have their cowboy hats on right !!!! :hammer:

netenyahoo

Were you able to get around ok not speaking French? Are all the ride spiels and shows in French? I would love to go, but I know I and especially my wife wouldn't like not understanding anything.

brich

Original Poster
Netenyahoo,
Just pick up a few words in French and you'll be fine. We found most people actually spoke English and were more than happy to help us so long as we attempted speaking French. Then again, according to our cab driver who told me "Your French ees HORRIBLE..." and proceeded to give me a quick lesson, I'm sure most agreed and spoke English only to save them the agony to their ears. The ride spiels were in French. Thats why I got yelled at for getting on a Small World boat to soon. hehe. It was a very unique experience especially not knowing what was being said. I would recommend it to anybody who just can't get enough Disney. Experiencing it with a foriegn twist was really cool. Of course we ate at the same hamburger joint every night just because we knew what we were eating and we could order ok. We had a blast, hope we can go again real soon...

Sorry Aimster, didn't mean to throw off the flow of the boards... :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom