Full Time Employment at Disney

Yen_Sid1

bryon1 said:
For those of you who are trying for the intership at WDI....they havent had the compition in years....I know of a guy who submited and got the intership and WDI kept putting off the program, he still has not had the intership and its been almost 10 years.

If you really want to work for WDI then I stongly suggest you get a portfolio together. Most creative jobs will require an "artist" type of portfolio, with layout drawings, figure drawings.

There are small divisions of WDI both at WDW and DL however, these are mainly connections to the theme parks for overlays, SQS (show quality services) ect...and usually when new attractions or rehab work happens WDI is there on property.

Yes WDI is based in Glendale, CA like said in other posts it would be better to listen to the job postings and apply for speciffic jobs, then to just submit.

Also not to put the rain cloud out, remember after Mnt. Everest...whats on the board? (not much in my opinion) theres alot of building going on NOW not 6 mths or a year from now. Yeah the rehab of the Conteporary but, theres tons of rumors at DL that after the 50th 1/3 of TDA will be laid off because theres nothing else really behind it. Other than a possible DCA 5 year anniv. celebration and subs??? thats it at DL.

The only other internships I know about is at the studio (if they are still doing it) is if you are represented (with an agent)they have a script writers intership.

Good luck in everyones future.

Also it is extremely difficult to have a career in WDI except if you are extremely talented, but it does happen. Usually WDI hires a lot of Engineers, Designers, and Artists etc. for big projects (ie, Hong Kong Disneyland) and when it is finished then they move them to new projects, but if there is no new projects or the new project only requires 100 people instead of 500. Then they are layoffs, so they usually have a pool of proven talent that they usually rely on.

There are many more divisions that have more of a steady work pace like Ride and Show Engineering, Scientific Systems, Sustaining Engineering. They create and modify or updates existing rides and attractions.

The best way would be to hire in as an Disney employee doing whatever like an ride operator. Then you will have access to all the jobs in the Disney company, so you will know when they have job openings and can apply for them. Disney definitely likes to hire within first, so you will have more opportuntities. It is definitely a lot harder to try to get from the outside by just sending in a resume. They have tens of thousands resumes that people send in all the time.

Main Street USA

bryon1 said:
like said in other posts it would be better to listen to the job postings and apply for speciffic jobs, then to just submit.

Actually, it is Disney's policy that they will NEVER even open a portfolio if it isn't submitted for a specific position that they have asked for porfolios. They will throw it directly into the trash. Period.

se8472

Main Street USA said:
Ha, well, everyone can either believe that it's easy and live in Fairyland with you, or they can work hard and get what they want. The smart people know which path to choose.

I am just going to give an small example:

2 people walk into the same job for the company. Both are identical candidates for the job. However, one has worked for the company in the past, maybe did the CP when they where in college. Who do you think is going to get the job?

Living in a fantasyland? No, I don’t think so, but did it just become easy? Well I will let you answer that one yourself.

Main Street USA

se8472 said:
I am just going to give an small example:

2 people walk into the same job for the company. Both are identical candidates for the job. However, one has worked for the company in the past, maybe did the CP when they where in college. Who do you think is going to get the job?

Living in a fantasyland? No, I don’t think so, but did it just become easy? Well I will let you answer that one yourself.

The answer to your question when it comes to an Imagineer position is simple indeed. Although, your answer is incorrect. The person most qualified for the position will get the job. Period. Not the person who worked in the CP.

And as for the second part of your post, I'll correct you there as well. No, it didn't become easy, and yes, you're still in Fairyland.

Not trying to be a jerk here. I'm just speaking from direct experience, my friend. Your experience with company insiders has to do with postition unlike this one. Thus, you're spreading around false hope to those who should be hearing the truth about having to work hard for what you want.

se8472

Main Street USA said:
The answer to your question when it comes to an Imagineer position is simple indeed. Although, your answer is incorrect. The person most qualified for the position will get the job. Period. Not the person who worked in the CP.

And as for the second part of your post, I'll correct you there as well. No, it didn't become easy, and yes, you're still in Fairyland.

Not trying to be a jerk here. I'm just speaking from direct experience, my friend. Your experience with company insiders has to do with postition unlike this one. Thus, you're spreading around false hope to those who should be hearing the truth about having to work hard for what you want.

It’s interesting that you believe that I have no direct contacts from within the company in WDI . Just because someone works in one aspect of the company, does not mean they don’t know anyone in any other department. Whelp just to fill you in I to, have a friend that works with WDI, who has gone from being just a CP and moved all the way up. I have no clue who is giving you your information but I can speak from a direct contact as well.

Clearly you didn’t even read the first half of my post. It clearly states that two people of equal qualifications apply to the job; the one that worked for the company in the past will get the job. Period. And yes that includes someone who did the CP.

Its also interesting that you reply to most post saying that it is incorrect, yet you give no information to say why this might be so. Please by all means explain my ignorance to me. I for one have seen nothing that states that one should not work hard to achieve there dreams and work for WDI.

If I am in fantasyland, then I have no clue where you are.

spoodles

Where's the love?

Seems even Imagineers differ on this:

Paula Dinkel, Lighting Designer
"Don't try to be an Imagineer! Work hard to be the best you can be at whatever you do, get an education, keep on learning, maintain your sense of wonder and discovery and have a good life."

Bruce Bader, Scope Writer
"There are lots of jobs here that you wouldn't normally think about or aren't normally found in other companies. Since many of these jobs don't have traditional education or experience requirements, they might be a good way to get your foot in the door."

Quotes from http://www.imagineering.org/howto.html

Main Street USA

Whatever man. You're clearly looking for any reason to avoid the hard work. I'm going to go spread the knowledge upon people who deserve a shot at doing what they love, not a smart alec kid who thinks he knows it all becasue he works at space mountain loading cars, and "has a friend in imagineering."

I never said working in the parks or in the CP didn't have a chance at helping, and the chance I speak of is so slim it's almost invisible. My only point is that YOU seem to think it's all you need, and that is truly sad.

Please exit to your left, and have a great day in FAIRYLAND! :lol:

Snoballego

Jseven said:
Whatever you do, DO NOT DO THE COLLEGE PROGRAM! Ive only heard bad stories about it. Even better than going to the casting center is calling the jobline and listening to the list of positions they are hiring for. Thats what i have done. The DIsney jobline is 407 828 1000. Good luck!!! :)

I was a Cast Member on the WDW College Program (Summer 2000, Summer 2001, & Summer 2002). I worked in 3 different roles (Lifeguard, Quick Food (Cosmic Ray's), and Entertainment) with a different experience every time.

Every ounce of energy I gave on the program, I was rewarded back 20 fold. It really is an experience of living, learning, and earning. You have to keep that in the back of your mind at all times. I could write a 20 page essay on all the amazing experiences, friends, and memories that I made. But that is another thread for another day.

All, I have to say when dealing with stories (good or bad) dealing with the College Program, one must always consider the source.

The WDWCP never promises to be an advanced college internship. It consists of hourly jobs at a Fortune 100 company that anyone without a college education can apply for and obtain. The College Program provides you with the avenues to network and explore areas of the Company that may intrest you. If you come open minded with a great work ethic, the sky is the limit on what the experience can mean to you. For me personally, the skills that I have learned (first hand and in observing management) ie. in dealing with customer service, attention to detail, and working in large volumes (of diverse co-workers/guests) will influece me at any work place that I will work at for the rest of my life. Once you complete the program, you also belong to a certain fraternity. In my line of work, I have run into several people that had also completed the program. It really is a small world.

Here are some personal suggestions on if you are considering doing the program. So that you won't be overwhelmed:

1) You should have had a previously hourly job where you have worked 20+ hours a week. You could be working anywhere from 38-50 hours a week in the Florida Sun.

2) You should have had previous room mates before. You could be living with 5 complete strangers. You need to learn the art of compromising and being flexible and sensitive to others. It can be like an episode of the Real World.

3) You should go in the program with the hopes of breaking even financially. You will have expenses. Most people do not bring home a lot of money. It is an hourly job and you do pay rent. I would always save money in the spring so I could enjoy myself during the summer. You should be willing to spend money to explore the other social opportunities around the Disney Area.

4) You must have a high level of Social Skills. In dealing with Co-Workers, Room Mates, and guests to the park, you must be able to communicate pleasantly and be able to make friends. If you don't have Social Skills then I suggest not working at one of the most visited attractions in the world.

5) Be prepared to be humbled. You may have been in a management position during the summers back home, but now you might be working custodial or cooking hamburgers. You will be inspired by no matter what role you work, how much pride others around you put into their job.

6) You must be a positive thinker. After being a lifeguard, The next interview I told my recruiter that I loved the experience but wanted a different experience. I was sent to Fast Food at Cosmic Rays. I can now say I have worked in the most visited/biggest volume Fast Food Restaurant in the world. It all has to be down hill from there.

If anyone has any questions or wants honest answers about the program, PM me of E-mail me and I will give you the ups and downs and share my stories. I would give the Program my highest recommendation. You get out of it what you put into it.

se8472

Main Street USA said:
Whatever man. You're clearly looking for any reason to avoid the hard work. I'm going to go spread the knowledge upon people who deserve a shot at doing what they love, not a smart alec kid who thinks he knows it all becasue he works at space mountain loading cars, and "has a friend in imagineering."

I never said working in the parks or in the CP didn't have a chance at helping, and the chance I speak of is so slim it's almost invisible. My only point is that YOU seem to think it's all you need, and that is truly sad.

What hard work? I have no intention of even being a imagineer. It’s just something I don't think I would enjoy every much. But I am glade you feel that I am some stupid uneducated guy who just happens to work at SM. Thankfully I am glade you ignorance shows your true light on that aspect of your response.

But I want you to go back and read what I said again. As far as I care we are saying the same thing, anyone who wishes to peruse there dream of being an imagineer needs to be on top of there ball, but they also need to make sure they stand apart from everyone else. Every little thing that one does to stand apart from there competition will help them get that job. Period.

Now show me where my only point is that I believe that all one needs is to work for the company in the past in order to get the job. I have read everything I have posted in the topic and don't see it, so please point it out.

You make it seem as if it is almost impossible to become a imaginer. I know that this is not what you truly believe, but how you are expressing yourself right now sure makes it look that one.

Lastly, I am glade you prefer to resort to childish name calling as part of your defense. From my experiences in the past, this usually hurts your argument, and voids any act of knowledge you might be trying to bring as part of your defence. Just a hint, but I am sure you would not act like this if we where in a face to face argument

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom