Ft.wilderness info please

ELG13

Original Poster
We are going in october to the cabins and just wondering what to expect, best loops to request etc. I saw the ft wilderness lodge and pools and they are amazing...is that available for us cabin renters? I saw pics of the cabin pools and they just look like plain pools. I wanted to explore the lodge and their pools but wasn't sure of we would be turned away? I guess I'm just trying to figure out where the divide is for the lodge and the cabins...and also good cabins and loops to request. Thanks!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Ft. Wilderness and the Wilderness Lodge are two separate resorts. Guests are only permitted to use the pools at the resort where they are staying. Wilderness Lodge currently only has one pool (Silver Creek) since the former Hidden Springs pool has been demolished to make way for a new pool.

You can find some great info about Ft. Wilderness here:
allears.net/acc/faq_fw.htm

Schneewittchen

Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge are completely different resorts. I believe pool hopping at the resorts is frowned upon. There's a ton of swamp and lake between the resorts as well.

I can't speak for the cabins because I always stay in our motorhome. But I love the place. It's very old-timey Disney. It's not unlike Frontierland at MK (without the rides). It's super quiet and relaxing and very kid-friendly. You want to be in a loop as close to the Meadows depot (pool and store) or the Settlement depot (restaurant, Hoop Dee Revue, Mickey's Backyard BBQ, store, boat transportation) as you can get.

ELG13

Original Poster
Dang...we just saw a video on the lodge and it was awesome...the pool and splash pad area would have been great for the little ones. We won't be there till Oct 2017 so hopefully the new pool will be done by then. I'm still super excited to stay though. The lodge reception area was just amazing and I was imaginaning walking in there to check in being like a movie (queue the music and slow mo walking lol). We picked it specifically for the reason that we will have the little ones and even after a day at the parks they will still need a little room to run (and have a tantrum) without us worrying about the thin hotel walls and disturbing other guests.

Worldlover71

I think you might be a little mixed up. If you are staying at Ft. Wilderness, you will not be checking in at the Lodge. Check in for Ft. Wilderness is a completely different place. Both resorts include the word "Wilderness" but they are totally separate. You would be welcome to go the Lodge to look at it or have a meal but that is all. Ft. Wilderness is great though and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Schneewittchen

Dang...we just saw a video on the lodge and it was awesome...the pool and splash pad area would have been great for the little ones. We won't be there till Oct 2017 so hopefully the new pool will be done by then. I'm still super excited to stay though. The lodge reception area was just amazing and I was imaginaning walking in there to check in being like a movie (queue the music and slow mo walking lol). We picked it specifically for the reason that we will have the little ones and even after a day at the parks they will still need a little room to run (and have a tantrum) without us worrying about the thin hotel walls and disturbing other guests.
FYI. The Meadows pool at Fort Wilderness is great for kids. There is a splash play area and a cool slide. My kids love the Meadows pool. I know nothing about the pool situation at Wilderness Lodge.

Read this: http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2009/05/fort_wilderness_swimming_pool_1.html

See this:
Kids love it!
FW%20Pool%20Update%2002.jpg

And this:
FW%20Pool%20Update%2011.jpg

Belle_MTL

Fort Wilderness has two pools. They have a no frills pool and then the awesome one that is pictured above. We always stay at the cabins and absolutely love it! We have young kids as well so it's nice to spend the morning at a park and then relax (and nap) at the cabin in the afternoon.
As far as the loops go, I supposed it all boils down to your personal preference. We tend to stay in Shawnee Bend, but that's only because we've spotted the most wildlife while staying in that loop. We've never been unhappy with any of the loops though.

21stamps

Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge are completely different resorts. I believe pool hopping at the resorts is frowned upon. There's a ton of swamp and lake between the resorts as well.

I can't speak for the cabins because I always stay in our motorhome. But I love the place. It's very old-timey Disney. It's not unlike Frontierland at MK (without the rides). It's super quiet and relaxing and very kid-friendly. You want to be in a loop as close to the Meadows depot (pool and store) or the Settlement depot (restaurant, Hoop Dee Revue, Mickey's Backyard BBQ, store, boat transportation) as you can get.
I am hoping to take a bike ride thru FW to see all of the Christmas decorations on the campsites this winter! Planning on biking from Wilderness Lodge. Have you been at that time? Hopefully gawking visitors don't annoy the people staying there lol

epcotisbest

I am hoping to take a bike ride thru FW to see all of the Christmas decorations on the campsites this winter! Planning on biking from Wilderness Lodge. Have you been at that time? Hopefully gawking visitors don't annoy the people staying there lol
We ride bikes at FW just about every trip. We usually ride through all the loops. There are some amazing displays at Christmas time. People decorate their campsites not only for themselves, but for others to enjoy as well.

21stamps

We ride bikes at FW just about every trip. We usually ride through all the loops. There are some amazing displays at Christmas time. People decorate their campsites not only for themselves, but for others to enjoy as well.
Wonderful! Have you ever taken photos? I'm not sure if that would be considered rude or weird, but I would love to.
For our pre cruise night I actually considered renting a tent etc, but the tent sites were sold out. We won't have time to do Chip n Dale's campfire, but it's definitely on my list someday!

Schneewittchen

We always bring our bikes just to get around, not too keen on the golf cart people.... But there are always a lot of people on bikes all over the campground. My husband has done the Fort Wilderness to Wilderness Lodge bike ride and liked it.

Unfortunately, we've only camped there in January. So the decorations are a bit toned down by then.

epcotisbest

Wonderful! Have you ever taken photos? I'm not sure if that would be considered rude or weird, but I would love to.
For our pre cruise night I actually considered renting a tent etc, but the tent sites were sold out. We won't have time to do Chip n Dale's campfire, but it's definitely on my list someday!
I have some photos of our most recent bike ride at FW in my latest trip report here on this forum. Just look under trip reports. I don't usually take photos of specific campsites as that seems like a bit of intrusion into private space, but I do have a few from several years back I'll see if I can find.

21stamps

We always bring our bikes just to get around, not too keen on the golf cart people.... But there are always a lot of people on bikes all over the campground. My husband has done the Fort Wilderness to Wilderness Lodge bike ride and liked it.

Unfortunately, we've only camped there in January. So the decorations are a bit toned down by then.
I will be with my 6 year old, is it a relatively easy ride from WL to FW, or would we be better off to take the boat and then rent bikes at Ft Wilderness? If we do that then do we have to boat back to WL and then another launch to get back to CR (that's where we're staying)? Or maybe launch to MK and walk back?

wdwfan22

I think you are mixing up Disney's Wilderness Lodge with Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort. If you are wanting the Lodge lobby and amenities that go along with it, you'll need to book Disney's Wilderness Lodge. The cabins are a part of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. They do not check in or share amenities with Disney's Wilderness Lodge.

Schneewittchen

I will be with my 6 year old, is it a relatively easy ride from WL to FW, or would we be better off to take the boat and then rent bikes at Ft Wilderness? If we do that then do we have to boat back to WL and then another launch to get back to CR (that's where we're staying)? Or maybe launch to MK and walk back?
It doesn't look too long, found a map: http://www.wildernesslodgesite.com/content/jogging-and-nature-trails
But I read somewhere that the construction at the Wilderness Lodge Villas might be affecting the trails, so who knows....

BASS

If you have small children, try to make it out to the Chip & Dale nightly campfire activity. It was nicely done and my daughter had a blast. (Bring some bug spray though!)

Weather_Lady

Just to reiterate -- as PPs indicated, Wilderness Lodge (a deluxe/DVC resort) has no cabins, so if you've booked a cabin, you are not staying there. Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground (a moderate resort) is the resort with cabins. (Unfortunately, due to Disney's inexplicable choice to give similar names to the two resorts, mixing them up is an easy mistake to make.) You can take a boat, bus or walking trail from Fort Wilderness over to Wilderness Lodge if you'd like to explore the grounds, shop, dine, or take some photos in that gorgeous 8-story lobby, but you will not be checking in at Wilderness Lodge, nor will you be allowed to use the pool(s) or other guest-only amenities (such as the fitness center), at Wilderness Lodge -- you may, however, use any pool at Fort Wilderness, wherever located.

That being said, I've stayed in both resorts, and Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground is a lovely resort in its own right, and has much to offer -- it's just slightly more rustic and remote, and less grand than Wilderness Lodge (Fort Wilderness is more "Little House on the Prairie," while Wilderness Lodge is meant to evoke a luxurious National Park Lodge of the 1900s). You are sure to have a wonderful time either way!

More info.: http://allears.net/acc/faq_fw.htm
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/fort-wilderness-resort-campground/
http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/09/1...immin-pool-at-disneys-fort-wilderness-resort/

Last edited:

daringstoic

I've stayed at the campground for Christmas twice and it's always full of people looking at the decorations. Our site was never as over the top as others, but people still stopped to take pictures occasionally. I didn't find it that odd, but I also wouldn't photograph a site where the occupants were sitting around their picnic table or anything because I would feel weird about that. I've also been told that decorating for Halloween has been beginning a big deal now too.

When I was a CM, I'd occasionally visit just to go roller blading on the trail from campground to the Lodge. It's not too long and I think a six-year-old on a bike could definitely handle it. I loved it because it was so cool and quiet in the woods and I regularly saw deer who wandered right up near the path. They'd get close enough that I could've reached out and petted them if I was that sort of person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom