Front desk vs. Online check in

Shellieb1

Original Poster
How successful has anyone been in getting the room or area they request when doing the online check in? I usually go to the front desk and check in as I note my reservation when I booked the resort with what I would like as well as faxing in my requests again before I go. I find I am luckier at getting what I request doing it this way than the on line check in which I used last year for my stay and did not get anything I requested. While I know there is no guarantee in the requests I seem to make out better when I check in in person. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

CaptainAmerica

I do all of the above. Put your room request in when you make your reservation, fax in your request, and put the room request into online check-in. People seem to think that they're forbidden from talking to the front desk if they do online check-in. If online check-in doesn't get you the room you want, you still have the option to go talk to the people at the desk and see if there's anything else available. It's unlikely that either way is more or less likely to get you what you want... if you don't get the request, it's probably simply that it wasn't available.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
@CaptainAmerica hit all of the major points, but I would like to add a few.

Don't make your requests too specific. I have seen quite a few people make request like "room 2451" and that is it. While it is perfectly acceptable to request a particular room, you will also want to let them know why you want that particular room. If room 2451 is unavailable, the CMs have nowhere else to go with your request. They might think you wanted that room because it was away from the elevator, but you really wanted it because it was close to your favorite parking spot.

Don't count on getting requests for rooms outside of your booking category. If you book a standard room at PORS and request a king bed room, the chances of you getting it are small as a king bed room is a higher cost, bookable room. They might give it to you if it benefits the resort, but if you want a room in a particular category booking it will be your best option.

It is also worth noting on your request if you are willing to take a later check in if you check in online. If you note a 11:00 AM arrival they will often try to give you a room that is ready. If your requests are more important than getting into your room before 3, have that noted on the reservation.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

We've always done online check-in, and have generally made broad requests like, "near transportation, ground floor." We were assigned rooms that met those requests in all but one case (and in that case, even though I visited the front desk and was willing to wait longer for a room that fit the bill -- we wanted one close to an elevator to accommodate a mobility-impaired member of our party -- they just didn't have one available.)

JIMINYCR

We do it all. And sometimes we get what we want and sometimes not. Weve made special requests when weve originally booked with our TA up to a year in advance, flagged the requests, talked directly to a Disney rep, followed up a week before the trip to reconfirm by phone and online ANNNND DW has called 3 days prior to arrival to again reconfirm the reservation requests and still upon check in in person not always gotten what we requested. Ive been told at the check in desk, they try to honor requests but when you physically get your foot in the resort, you get whats available if its possible. Its frustrating when you book a year in advance, are return guests, have specific needs noted and still cant get a better guarantee of your requests than... we will try once you show up.

JillC LI

We did online checkin in January and I had requested one of two buildings at POR. I received an email that I was put into a different building before we even boarded our flight to FL. So I called up and asked if it might be possible to change the room to accommodate my prior request, and they said absolutely. I have no idea why my request wasn't initially granted since a room was obviously available, but I was easily able to get it changed, and the new room was ready for me when we arrived. We just went to the front desk to confirm upon arrival.

D M C

I am going to do my online check in soon. We are staying at POP. I have never done the online check-in. I will also follow up with a phone call closer to check-in time. Thanks for all the good ideas.

crxbrett

I think I am just going to stick with doing front desk check-in and the touringplans fax request this trip. I'll try the online check-in next year and see if there are different results.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think I am just going to stick with doing front desk check-in and the touringplans fax request this trip. I'll try the online check-in next year and see if there are different results.
Just make sure you have your requests noted on the reservation by calling the reservation center prior to arrival. It is the only way to guarantee that the CMs at the resort will see them.

crxbrett

Just make sure you have your requests noted on the reservation by calling the reservation center prior to arrival. It is the only way to guarantee that the CMs at the resort will see them.

Duly noted. I was planning on phoning them about 3 days prior to check-in to make sure they got the request.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Duly noted. I was planning on phoning them about 3 days prior to check-in to make sure they got the request.

Calling the resort itself will not do you any good. If you are not currently staying at the resort, they will just transfer you to the reservation center.

If you have already added your requests to your reservation by calling the reservation center you should be good.

crxbrett

Calling the resort itself will not do you any good. If you are not currently staying at the resort, they will just transfer you to the reservation center.

If you have already added your requests to your reservation by calling the reservation center you should be good.

Maybe I misunderstood then. So I have a fax request queued up using Touringplans' room request service right now, which supposedly gets faxed to the resort 5 days before arrival. Are you saying to call the reservation center after the fax goes through, let's say 3 days before I arrive to make sure the request is on the reservation? Essentially, I need to make sure I am calling the reservation center, not the actual resort itself.

The Reservation Center's phone# is (407) 939 4357, correct?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe I misunderstood then. So I have a fax request queued up using Touringplans' room request service right now, which supposedly gets faxed to the resort 5 days before arrival. Are you saying to call the reservation center after the fax goes through, let's say 3 days before I arrive to make sure the request is on the reservation? Essentially, I need to make sure I am calling the reservation center, not the actual resort itself.

The Reservation Center's phone# is (407) 939 4357, correct?

If you have not done so already, call the reservation center (DRC) at (407)-939-4357 and have your requests added to the reservation. You will want to do that as soon as you can. You don't need to drop what you are doing right now and rush to the phone to do it, but I would make it happen in the next day or two.

That is really all you need to do to make sure the CMs at the resorts see your requests.

Faxing in requests is an old practice that some people still cling to. By policy, fax requests are to be ignored. Some CMs obey this rule, some do not. It will not hurt anything if you do it, but as long as you have your requests noted on the reservation the CMs will see it. Room requests via fax only are a shot in the dark.

Calling the resort is generally a no go as well unless you're already checked in and are staying at the resort. From what we were told by Disney at TA training, and also backed up by several CMs I know in the DRC and at the resorts, the resorts can do very little with your reservation until you are checked in so if you do call the resort prior to arrival, you are often just transferred to the DRC.

Lastly, regarding requests as I noted earlier in the thread...Don't make your requests too specific. I have seen quite a few people make request like "room 2451" and that is it. While it is perfectly acceptable to request a particular room, you will also want to let them know why you want that particular room. If room 2451 is unavailable, the CMs have nowhere else to go with your request. They might think you wanted that room because it was away from the elevator, but you really wanted it because it was close to your favorite parking spot.

Don't count on getting requests for rooms outside of your booking category. If you book a standard room at PORS and request a king bed room, the chances of you getting it are small as a king bed room is a higher cost, bookable room. They might give it to you if it benefits the resort, but if you want a room in a particular category, booking it will be your best option.

It is also worth noting on your request if you are willing to take a later check in if you check in online. If you note a 11:00 AM arrival they will often try to give you a room that is ready at 11;00 AM. If your requests are more important than getting into your room before 3, have that noted on the reservation as well.

That is pretty much everything you would ever want to know about making Disney resort room requests.:)

crxbrett

If you have not done so already, call the reservation center (DRC) at (407)-939-4357 and have your requests added to the reservation. You will want to do that as soon as you can. You don't need to drop what you are doing right now and rush to the phone to do it, but I would make it happen in the next day or two.

That is really all you need to do to make sure the CMs at the resorts see your requests.

Faxing in requests is an old practice that some people still cling to. By policy, fax requests are to be ignored. Some CMs obey this rule, some do not. It will not hurt anything if you do it, but as long as you have your requests noted on the reservation the CMs will see it. Room requests via fax only are a shot in the dark.

Calling the resort is generally a no go as well unless you're already checked in and are staying at the resort. From what we were told by Disney at TA training, and also backed up by several CMs I know in the DRC and at the resorts, the resorts can do very little with your reservation until you are checked in so if you do call the resort prior to arrival, you are often just transferred to the DRC.

Lastly, regarding requests as I noted earlier in the thread...Don't make your requests too specific. I have seen quite a few people make request like "room 2451" and that is it. While it is perfectly acceptable to request a particular room, you will also want to let them know why you want that particular room. If room 2451 is unavailable, the CMs have nowhere else to go with your request. They might think you wanted that room because it was away from the elevator, but you really wanted it because it was close to your favorite parking spot.

Don't count on getting requests for rooms outside of your booking category. If you book a standard room at PORS and request a king bed room, the chances of you getting it are small as a king bed room is a higher cost, bookable room. They might give it to you if it benefits the resort, but if you want a room in a particular category, booking it will be your best option.

It is also worth noting on your request if you are willing to take a later check in if you check in online. If you note a 11:00 AM arrival they will often try to give you a room that is ready at 11;00 AM. If your requests are more important than getting into your room before 3, have that noted on the reservation as well.

That is pretty much everything you would ever want to know about making Disney resort room requests.:)

Thanks! I didn't realize the fax requests were supposed to be ignored now, but that jives with stories I have heard. My request is basically just which floor I want (3rd), the specific building and general direction I want to face (in this case, east). I couldn't care less if it's room 3414 or 3419. Thanks for your help Master Yoda!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks! I didn't realize the fax requests were supposed to be ignored now, but that jives with stories I have heard. My request is basically just which floor I want (3rd), the specific building and general direction I want to face (in this case, east). I couldn't care less if it's room 3414 or 3419. Thanks for your help Master Yoda!

You are quite welcome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom