From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD

I like Blue Springs when the manatees are around, but the past couple of times we've gone, it has been Field Trip Day for every public school in FL. They have their nerve!

But the Blue Springs might be Green Springs. Think about it.

PhotoDave219

I like Blue Springs when the manatees are around, but the past couple of times we've gone, it has been Field Trip Day for every public school in FL. They have their nerve!

Just about everywhere would be great if it weren't for all the people. You know, restaurants, the mall, Disney world and te post office with those damn stamp collectors....

BlueSkyDriveBy

Yep. Which would not be in the "most part"
But the implication is that Disney was correct in assuming "most part" applied to their situation. It did not.

Since guests were feeding the gators and cast members repeatedly reported that this guest behavior was creating a problem, Disney was fully complicit and responsible for the outcome: gator-related fatality.

It doesn't matter that gators leave human visitors alone for the "most part" when those visitors interact with the gators in ways proven to reduce their fear and encourage closer interactions.

21stamps

You, and the others claiming the same, could seriously keep this going for the next 10 years.

"For the most part.." Does matter. That's why every hotel/resort/club/pool etc etc doesn't have signs. It's why people live on the water. It's why there is not a law to have a sign.

But none of that matter to the people who want to say "It's big bad Disney's fault!!"

I don't know why some people can't accept the following--

Sometimes nature attacks.

Sometimes it's no one's fault.

Sometimes there is no explanation.

Sometimes horrible things happen.

It was an awful tragedy, beyond imaginable.
But at the end of the day, we aren't on this planet alone. That's why people get attacked by gators, snakes, bears, and so on, and they always will. Not often, but when it does- it's not cause for all out panic, hysteria, sea walls and drained lakes, or speculation based blame.

But I'm off of this merry go round. Have fun speculating and blaming. Clearly you don't want to see it from any other point of view.

Last edited:

trr1

You, and the others claiming the same, could seriously keep this going for the next 10 years.

"For the most part.." Does matter. That's why every hotel/resort/club/pool etc etc doesn't have signs. It's why people live on the water. It's why there is not a law to have a sign.

But none of that matter to the people who want to say "It's big bad Disney's fault!!"

But at the end of the day, we aren't on this planet alone. That's why people get attacked by gators, snakes, bears, and so on, and they always will. Not often, but when it does- it's not cause for all out panic, hysteria, sea walls and drained lakes, or speculation based blame.

But I'm off of this merry go round. Have fun speculating and blaming. Clearly you don't want to see it from any other point of view.
Thank you for all your opinions and have fun in other threads

betty rose

I meant to the small real springs, not the artificial one Disney made. People come to Florida from far and wide but they never visit it's state parks or national parks unless they are into that kind of stuff. I mean this in the statistical point of view. I had to write a thesis in college about the sites people visit most in the state and the ones that always came to the bottom where always the natural parks created by billions of years of nature. Places like the everglades, blue springs, Okeechobee, Osceola Forest, Ocala National Forest and the Kissimee Prarie just to name a few. If at all this tragic event will make people want to see these things in their natural habitats and I hope it boost the economy of people like my home tribe of the Seminole or the Miccosukee down in south florida whom call the everglades home and rely on tourist dollars.
I understand, thanks for clarifying. We used to come to Florida, before there was a Disney World. It's a very beautiful state. We traveled all over the state back in the 60's by car. It was our only place to vacation, until we moved west. All is good. I remember getting a very beautiful Native American bracelet and pin, made with colorful beads. We have this in common, my Grandmother was a Native American, Blackfoot.

Matt_Black

This thread=

WTDnnwE.gif

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Who is to blame is mostly an academic debate. It's OK for people to disagree. This is a discussion board. That's why we are all here.

Putting all of the speculation, emotion and personal opinion aside here's a list of the facts as I see them:
  1. A child was tragically killed
  2. Alligator attacks are very rare. Only the second on WDW property in 45 years. First fatality.
  3. There were no swimming signs posted at the lake but the signs didn't warn about alligators or snakes
  4. The beaches at SSL were temporarily closed while they installed what was reported as "temporary" fences and additional warning signs.
  5. Boat service has started again along with some boat rentals.
  6. The movies are still being shown but someone reported they moved them further from the lake. We don't know if that's permanent or temporary.
So after this tragedy Disney has quickly acted to put into place temporary changes while they do an internal investigation to determine the best plan going forward. The changes so far have had very little impact to guests enjoying their stays at these resorts. So far Disney has done a pretty good job responding to this situation IMHO.

Even if alligator attacks are rare and people should know better than to feed gators or any wildlife I think the new signs are a positive addition. It doesn't matter if other hotels or parks have these signs or if they are legally required they just make sense to have at WDW now. If you asked me a few months ago my opinion may have been different but that has changed now. It's not unlike when the NHL installed netting behind the goals after a child was killed by a deflected puck. In all the years of people watching hockey that never happened but all it takes is one rare occurrence to make people realize we should have had this all along.

Before getting worked up about speculation on things like draining the lakes, getting rid of activities or closing the beaches let's see what Disney comes up with as a plan first.

drew81

FWC concludes alligator incident investigation; confident responsible alligator removed
News Release

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Media contact: Tammy Sapp, 850-228-1353

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has suspended alligator trapping activities in the area of the Seven Seas Lagoon where a fatal alligator incident occurred last week.

The FWC is confident that the alligator responsible for the attack has been removed. This conclusion is based on expert analyses and observations by staff with extensive experience in investigating fatal alligator bite incidents. The conclusion took into account the proximity to the attack site of removed alligators and witness descriptions.

“There are no words to describe the profound sadness we feel for the family of Lane Graves,” said Nick Wiley, executive director of the FWC. “We will continue to keep this family close to our hearts as they deal with the pain and grief of the loss of Lane.”

Out of an abundance of caution, the FWC continued intense round-the-clock monitoring and trapping efforts until either a positive identification of the alligator involved was established or all alligators fitting the description of the responsible animal had been removed. During the investigation, trappers humanely removed six alligators from the area. No additional alligators of the size capable of the attack have been observed or taken since June 16.

Investigation Facts

Based on information and evidence gathered to date and the collaborative efforts of FWC law enforcement investigators, FWC subject matter experts and a forensic odontologist, the following conclusions have been made:

• FWC Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program trappers captured three alligators in the size range believed to fit the subject animal.
  • Two of the animals captured were in close proximity to the incident location. Based on past experience, the alligator responsible is usually located in close proximity to the attack site.
  • Round-the-clock monitoring and trapping efforts have not produced alligators of the size capable of the attack since June 16.
  • In total, FWC humanely removed six alligators from the immediate area of the attack. This area is poor alligator habitat that will not support a large population of adult alligators.
  • FWC subject matter experts are very confident that, based on the totality of the evidence, the alligator responsible for the attack has been removed.
  • While results of a bite analysis were inconclusive, subject matter experts were able to conclude that either of the two suspect alligators captured near the attack site were capable of inflicting the observed wounds.
  • DNA was collected from the victim and all alligators captured. Results from the victim’s wounds were negative for animal DNA, and no comparison could be made
Alligator attacks are a very rare occurrence in Florida. FWC works diligently to keep Floridians and our visitors safe and informed on what to do if they spot a potentially dangerous alligator. The Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program (SNAP) is one component of Florida’s comprehensive Alligator Management Program. People with concerns about an alligator should call FWC’s toll-free Nuisance Alligator Hotline at 866-FWC-GATOR (866-392-4286). SNAP uses contracted nuisance alligator trappers throughout the state to remove alligators believed to pose a threat to people, pets or property.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Alligator attacks are a very rare occurrence in Florida. FWC works diligently to keep Floridians and our visitors safe and informed on what to do if they spot a potentially dangerous alligator. The Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program (SNAP) is one component of Florida’s comprehensive Alligator Management Program.
Unfortunately, that is not the problem Disney has been facing since the Bora Bora Billionaire Bungalows were opened.

How about Florida instituting a Statewide Nuisance Tourist Program? :geek:

We can set up pilot testing at WDW. And start with the effn idiots who think feeding alligators is so Gawrsh! Darn! Cute!! :in pain:

This was predictable. Putting elitist tourists in private spaces where they have easy and virtually unseen access to dangerous wildlife. Feed said wildlife day after day after day... and... you no longer have dangerous wildlife. You have dangerous pets.

Seriously, Disney. What the heck were you thinking! :banghead:

PhotoDave219

FWC concludes alligator incident investigation; confident responsible alligator removed
News Release

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Media contact: Tammy Sapp, 850-228-1353

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has suspended alligator trapping activities in the area of the Seven Seas Lagoon where a fatal alligator incident occurred last week.

The FWC is confident that the alligator responsible for the attack has been removed. This conclusion is based on expert analyses and observations by staff with extensive experience in investigating fatal alligator bite incidents. The conclusion took into account the proximity to the attack site of removed alligators and witness descriptions.

“There are no words to describe the profound sadness we feel for the family of Lane Graves,” said Nick Wiley, executive director of the FWC. “We will continue to keep this family close to our hearts as they deal with the pain and grief of the loss of Lane.”

Out of an abundance of caution, the FWC continued intense round-the-clock monitoring and trapping efforts until either a positive identification of the alligator involved was established or all alligators fitting the description of the responsible animal had been removed. During the investigation, trappers humanely removed six alligators from the area. No additional alligators of the size capable of the attack have been observed or taken since June 16.

Investigation Facts

Based on information and evidence gathered to date and the collaborative efforts of FWC law enforcement investigators, FWC subject matter experts and a forensic odontologist, the following conclusions have been made:

• FWC Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program trappers captured three alligators in the size range believed to fit the subject animal.
  • Two of the animals captured were in close proximity to the incident location. Based on past experience, the alligator responsible is usually located in close proximity to the attack site.
  • Round-the-clock monitoring and trapping efforts have not produced alligators of the size capable of the attack since June 16.
  • In total, FWC humanely removed six alligators from the immediate area of the attack. This area is poor alligator habitat that will not support a large population of adult alligators.
  • FWC subject matter experts are very confident that, based on the totality of the evidence, the alligator responsible for the attack has been removed.
  • While results of a bite analysis were inconclusive, subject matter experts were able to conclude that either of the two suspect alligators captured near the attack site were capable of inflicting the observed wounds.
  • DNA was collected from the victim and all alligators captured. Results from the victim’s wounds were negative for animal DNA, and no comparison could be made
Alligator attacks are a very rare occurrence in Florida. FWC works diligently to keep Floridians and our visitors safe and informed on what to do if they spot a potentially dangerous alligator. The Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program (SNAP) is one component of Florida’s comprehensive Alligator Management Program. People with concerns about an alligator should call FWC’s toll-free Nuisance Alligator Hotline at 866-FWC-GATOR (866-392-4286). SNAP uses contracted nuisance alligator trappers throughout the state to remove alligators believed to pose a threat to people, pets or property.

I would like to know how many animals in total were removed from Seven Seas Lagoon.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom