From Boxofficemojo.com. Is this a good opening?

dxwwf3

To be honest, I don't know why they didn't give it it's wide release over Thanksgiving. That would've made much more sense rather than the weekend before the opening of Avatar. :shrug:

Maybe they didn't think that Avatar would attract many kids, but as I said before, I think that Avatar is being heavily promoted to kids and they are eating it up. Wednesday the horrible looking (but so did the first one) Alvin and the Chipmunks sequel comes out and there is no question that will cut into business. I still think PatF could end up with $85-90 million domestically, which isn't bad considering the competition.

Wilt Dasney

I'm hoping that PatF becomes a big enough hit to where they continue hand drawn animation, but luckily it doesn't look to be a big enough hit to where they will be putting a permanent attraction into the parks (possibly replacing something original and classic).

I'd be fine with both of those outcomes. We all agree that more hand-drawn would be good, but I don't think this movie was strong enough to warrant a full-fledged attraction.

To be honest, I don't know why they didn't give it it's wide release over Thanksgiving. That would've made much more sense rather than the weekend before the opening of Avatar. :shrug:

Good point. What else was released over Thanksgiving? I read that they had originally slated this for a Christmas Day release, but moved it back to avoid opening against Alvin & the 'Munks. Maybe they should have moved it back a little further.

dizpins14

Alvin and the Chipmunks is going to be a huge draw. I do not foresee Princess and the Frog crossing $100 million domestically. I have a feeling it will recoup its budget between domestic and international markets.

That's just not good enough to have Disney greenlight more hand drawn features.

Don't worry people...Disney is still going to continue the 2D movies as long as Lasseter is in charge of feature animation. Princess and the Frog did not do horribly, it actually did pretty decent for a cartoon.

If you read above only a couple other 2D features actually surpassed what this film made in it's opening weekend and if you look - Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin are not on that list and yet people love them and they certainly weren't the end of 2D animation.

It'll be fine, they weren't going to re-train all of those animators just to throw that money back out the window.

imagineer boy

Alvin and the Chipmunks is going to be a huge draw. I do not foresee Princess and the Frog crossing $100 million domestically. I have a feeling it will recoup its budget between domestic and international markets.

That's just not good enough to have Disney greenlight more hand drawn features.

Eh, I highly doubt Chipmunks will be much of a draw at all. The first movie wasn't much of a hit.

And Disney will still be making hand drawn features.

SirGoofy

Don't worry people...Disney is still going to continue the 2D movies as long as Lasseter is in charge of feature animation. Princess and the Frog did not do horribly, it actually did pretty decent for a cartoon.

It doesn't matter. If the studio looses money on it, they'll stop making them.

There's 2 other 2-Ds in production, I wouldn't expect anymore until one proves to be a smash hit.

Eh, I highly doubt Chipmunks will be much of a draw at all. The first movie wasn't much of a hit.

Someone doesn't know there stuff.

Alvin and the Chipmunks made 220 million domestic, and 360 million all together.

dizpins14

You can not compare Princess and the Frog to the Lion King in terms of opening weekends. The boxoffice atmosphere was a lot different in 1994. Movies in the 90's would play well over a period of time because there were not two to three new movies opening each weekend. While not competing necessarily in demographics, Princess and the Frog does have to compete for screen times with five new movies this weekend.

I wouldn't classify Princess and the Frog as a complete failure. I've heard the merchandise is selling fairly well. The legacy of the Princess and the Frog probably will probably not be a renaissance of 2D animation but of the diversification of the Princesses.

imagineer boy

Someone doesn't know there stuff.

Alvin and the Chipmunks made 220 million domestic, and 360 million all together.

I stand corrected, but I honestly can't see the sequal do well. I don't think anyone really liked the first one, I can see people going out of their way to avoid it.

It will be pretty sad if Chipmunks actually does well. :(

dxwwf3

I stand corrected, but I honestly can't see the sequal do well. I don't think anyone really liked the first one, I can see people going out of their way to avoid it.

Oh it's going to do VERY well. It made about $20 million yesterday and could pass $100 million by the end of the year.

CJR

It's not doing bad at all. Brother Bear got a sequel at around $85 million to give you an idea.

Also, Meet the Robinson's did not crack the $100 million mark and assuming its budget was along Bolt's and Chicken Little's, it costed more to make the PatF.

Not to mention PatF has to be doing better than Meet the Robinson's, Bolt, and Chicken Little combined in merchandise sales. Really, compared to Disney's previous films, this is going to be a long term gold mine. Think of all the dolls, t-shirts, and Halloween costumes that are going to sell over the years. As great as Bolt did in theaters, it doesn't come close to the merchandise potential.

So, the film's doing ok in theaters, is guaranteed to do well in DVD sales and is already selling out merchandise. I'm pretty sure the Disney executives are happy with it.

radiohost

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/

$8.6 Million Christmas weekend? Thats it?

THE BLIND SIDE BEAT PATF BY $3 MILLION, AND FINISHED 7TH!!!

This film is not a blockbuster, it will not reach the $100 Million Dollar mark to be classified as a blockbuster. It has taken 5 WEEKS for this movie to hit $60 Million, its not happening folks...

Question: What was the folks at Animation thinking for opening this film in December rather in November, and a week before Avatar??

p.s., Its a great movie. Not the best Disney animated film, but a great one.

Wilt Dasney

It has taken 5 WEEKS for this movie to hit $60 Million, its not happening folks...
This is at least the second post tonight to make this argument. It seems a bit misleading.

To be more precise, the movie just finished its third weekend of national play after two weeks of advance screenings in NY and LA. So if you live in Queens or Hollywood, yes, it has been playing for five weekends.

Computer Magic

This is at least the second post tonight to make this argument. It seems a bit misleading.

To be more precise, the movie just finished its third weekend of national play after two weeks of advance screenings in NY and LA. So if you live in Queens or Hollywood, yes, it has been playing for five weekends.
Agreed, I say this film will make 100 million to equal the production budget. The film has made 63 million in 3 weeks. All it needs is 8 million a week for the next 5 weeks.

Lets revisit Jan 30th :)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Saw Alvin and the Chipmonks this weekend. My favorite part of this 88 minute movie was minute 89.

PatF will do fine. There will be a sequal, albeit direct to DVD likely. Have not seen it yet, but what I have seen in the previews, there appears to be some decent character developement and a bunch to market this animated movie on. Its going to do just like almost every other Disney movie...go into the vault and come out a classic.

jt04

This film is not a blockbuster, it will not reach the $100 Million Dollar mark to be classified as a blockbuster. It has taken 5 WEEKS for this movie to hit $60 Million, its not happening folks...

Question: What was the folks at Animation thinking for opening this film in December rather in November, and a week before Avatar??

Time to reconsider...? :veryconfu

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2009-12-28&p=.htm

jt04

Uh-oh "radio host". PatF just crossed 70 million. And gaining some momentum. You might want to rethink your prediction. :wave:

Wilt Dasney

Irrespective of all the personal sniping over this, it's nice to see the movie keeping up a steady pace the last few days. Hopefully it will at least continue, if not accelerate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom