Fresh FLE News for March 2010

nibblesandbits

Time will tell.

I think you are wrong. I think word of mouth will create a tsunami of sorts. Meeting the characters these kids grew up watching in a magical personal setting is going to become a must see experience for kids. You can save this and throw it back at me if I'm wrong. But I won't be. Not worried at all.

Time will tell. I won't gloat too much.:D

The reliable sources here haven't exactly been tripping over themselves to renounce what I am saying about the FLE now have they? Lee hated the concept from the beginning so he's not exactly objective. Same with Goofy.

The FLE will amaze people. Similar to how people were confounded by Alice's box office. I remember the long explanations I made here explaining how it would take several years to turn around all of Disney's divisions. But it is happening and we are really about to see the full effect. FLE is just one aspect of it

Just because people weren't thrilled about what was announced as being built though, doesn't mean they aren't right about the project being scaled back.

As I mentioned before, yes, it will be successful...because much (but not ALL) of what Disney does in the parks is relatively successful with the general public...however, that being said, it would have been nice to see something a little more substantial being built.

Will I still be excited to see it when it's done, yes. But I would have liked to see at least 1 more new ride be included in the plans. I think 1 more ride would have done a lot for many of those who are not so thrilled with this project. (And not a ride centered around Fairies...should that actually end up coming to fruition--although the idea is EXTREMELY doubtful in my mind that it ever will...but a ride that will appeal to all. I'm a girl and I could care less about fairies.)

jt04

Original Poster
Just because people weren't thrilled about what was announced as being built though, doesn't mean they aren't right about the project being scaled back.

As I mentioned before, yes, it will be successful...because much (but not ALL) of what Disney does in the parks is relatively successful with the general public...however, that being said, it would have been nice to see something a little more substantial being built.

Will I still be excited to see it when it's done, yes. But I would have liked to see at least 1 more new ride be included in the plans. I think 1 more ride would have done a lot for many of those who are not so thrilled with this project. (And not a ride centered around Fairies...should that actually end up coming to fruition--although the idea is EXTREMELY doubtful in my mind that it ever will...but a ride that will appeal to all. I'm a girl and I could care less about fairies.)

Well Disney has rarely added more than one major ride at a time. Even the DCA makeover is opening one major new offering at a time. I think marketing would mutiny otherwise.

That said, the way they are setting up FLE will allow it to expand in the future with new rides. So no need to despair.

nibblesandbits

Well Disney has rarely added more than one major ride at a time. Even the DCA makeover is opening one major new offering at a time. I think marketing would mutiny otherwise.

That said, the way they are setting up FLE will allow it to expand in the future with new rides. So no need to despair.
Well a) I'll believe it when I see it...but I doubt it...and Lee's confirmed it...and I believe Lee.

and b) at least with something like the DCA makeover, they announced more than one ride being built...they may not be opening it at the same time, but they were announced. With this, we only know of for sure one ride. (Oh...and Dumbo...which I don't count...it's already there.)

Look, I'd love to be as optimistic as you...and I used to be moreso...and I still have glimmers of optimism...but, I can see the other side too...

Lee

Adventurer
Lee hated the concept from the beginning so he's not exactly objective.
Oh, I'm plenty objective.
I listened to what they were doing. Weighed the pros and cons.
The end result is I think the money could be much better spent.

Nah.
The only potential new ride would be part of Pixie Hollow, and that ride is all but dead at this point. There is no room being set aside with future rides in mind. Trust me. I asked.

jt04

Original Poster
Well a) I'll believe it when I see it...but I doubt it...and Lee's confirmed it...and I believe Lee.

and b) at least with something like the DCA makeover, they announced more than one ride being built...they may not be opening it at the same time, but they were announced. With this, we only know of for sure one ride. (Oh...and Dumbo...which I don't count...it's already there.)

Look, I'd love to be as optimistic as you...and I used to be moreso...and I still have glimmers of optimism...but, I can see the other side too...

I see WDW adds in a different light. Not only is LM on the way but so is ST2. So that is two rides since ST will essentially be a new experience. Now, further adds are going to hinge on how TWWoHP impacts WDW. So lets all hope it meets expectations.

jt04

Original Poster
Oh, I'm plenty objective.
I listened to what they were doing. Weighed the pros and cons.
The end result is I think the money could be much better spent.

Nah.
The only potential new ride would be part of Pixie Hollow, and that ride is all but dead at this point. There is no room being set aside with future rides in mind. Trust me. I asked.

If they can fit an IJ into DL or AL at the MK then putting a BatB dark ride behind Belle's villiage or a Mermaid Lagoon type venue behind LM-Land will be no problem. I realize there are no plans but the way the FLE is structured does not rule out the possibility 20 or 25 years from now. You know, after DAK and DHS become two day parks.

nibblesandbits

I see WDW adds in a different light. Not only is LM on the way but so id ST2. So that is two rides since ST will essentially be a new experience. Now, further adds are going to hinge on how TWWoHP impacts WDW. So lets all hope it meets expectations.
well, now that I understand and can agree...in a way...

However, this is still a HUGE expansion for the MK...something that hasn't seen anything this caliber in YEARS and all they can announce is one ride (which they already were building anyway elsewhere) and some meet and greets and a restaurant. It just would have been nice to have seen one more attraction in this specific area. If I were wishing for stuff.

But, I still stress, as of now, I'm still excited to see this come about...even if it's not as grand as I may think it should have been for an expansion this large.

jt04

Original Poster
well, now that I understand and can agree...in a way...

However, this is still a HUGE expansion for the MK...something that hasn't seen anything this caliber in YEARS and all they can announce is one ride (which they already were building anyway elsewhere) and some meet and greets and a restaurant. It just would have been nice to have seen one more attraction in this specific area. If I were wishing for stuff.

But, I still stress, as of now, I'm still excited to see this come about...even if it's not as grand as I may think it should have been for an expansion this large.

You are going to find that the grossly oversimplified way folks are describing the FLE (as you have done here) is completely unjustified. It's group think at it's worst. And as I said, they don't build more than one ride at a time. So not only are folks being simplistic, they are demanding what never happens anyway. Even TWWoHP is only getting one new ride by your standard.

This discussion has played itself out. :wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No, actually it keeps getting better.:cool:
If only. I`m afraid this is another one being aimed at the wrong audience, mis -apppointed funds, funds that are being cut already.

A new people eating dark ride is a must. As is somewhere to eat. But the rest... would a 4 year old really appreciate a $2 million mirror?

Wilt Dasney

And as I said, they don't build more than one ride at a time. So not only are folks being simplistic, they are demanding what never happens anyway.

DCA is currently building TLM and Carsland, which will have two rides when it opens. That's three new rides currently being built from the ground up all at the same time.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm not saying (and I'm sure others would agree) that FLE won't be successful...I'm sure it will be. Guests will flock to this because it is the first major expansion in YEARS. Edit: However, I agree with Lee in his sentiments that it won't bring in new guests...mearly a lot of people who are atuned to Disney and/or people who live in Florida and also nearby states. It will cause these kinds of people to come down...for sure.

However, that being said...I agree with others who would have liked to see more coming to the expansion than what's announced. And I'm someone who plans on having kids around the time this expansion will be finished. I would like to see something a little more substantial than what's been announced. Especially for an expansion that's of this size.

In a weird way, I would have almost rather have seen them piece this out more than they are. I would have liked to see them do this in smaller bits to do it right and to have possibly allowed for more money to be released (ha! Fat chance, since we're dealing with TDO...but a girl can dream). I would have liked to have seen one or two sections built at a time. That way, the money wouldn't have to be spread so thin to try to build a large expansion all at once.

That being said, I'm still excited to see expansion in any of the parks and am anxious to see how this turns out. I just wished, in a small way, we would have seen a bit more.

Well said, Nibbs. I had a whole lengthy post typed out, but honestly, yours is much better. And said the same thing I was going to address. :lol: Well done!

FLE will be drawing people- lots of them. But it's going to be lots of us. I'm sure it will influence a few "newcomers", but in the end, I don't think it will be a game changer in anyway. The fact that it's a new land, will, but what's in it, won't. It would help, dramatically, if the rest of FL was getting a refurb treatment, and maybe TL/SM had opened in a whole new light a few months ago, to look for any real attendance boost.

And Martin: 2 Million Mirror?!?! :zipit: That's unreasonable.

nibblesandbits

You are going to find that the grossly oversimplified way folks are describing the FLE (as you have done here) is completely unjustified. It's group think at it's worst. And as I said, they don't build more than one ride at a time. So not only are folks being simplistic, they are demanding what never happens anyway. Even TWWoHP is only getting one new ride by your standard.

This discussion has played itself out. :wave:

Of course I know it's more than JUST those few things...I'm not that ignorant of what's being built...it will be extremely well themed, in some areas, innovative...but if you look simply at what's being built, yes, it's just one ride, some meet and greets, and a restaurant. And your right, it is the same thing they are doing with TWWoHP...but the difference...at least to me and my experiences...Harry Potter appeals to to a wider audience than princesses and fairies.

Well said, Nibbs. I had a whole lengthy post typed out, but honestly, yours is much better. And said the same thing I was going to address. :lol: Well done!

FLE will be drawing people- lots of them. But it's going to be lots of us. I'm sure it will influence a few "newcomers", but in the end, I don't think it will be a game changer in anyway. The fact that it's a new land, will, but what's in it, won't. It would help, dramatically, if the rest of FL was getting a refurb treatment, and maybe TL/SM had opened in a whole new light a few months ago, to look for any real attendance boost.

And Martin: 2 Million Mirror?!?! :zipit: That's unreasonable.

Thanks so much! :) It's been too long since I've used my debating chops here. :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Of course I know it's more than JUST those few things...I'm not that ignorant of what's being built...it will be extremely well themed, in some areas, innovative...but if you look simply at what's being built, yes, it's just one ride, some meet and greets, and a restaurant. And your right, it is the same thing they are doing with TWWoHP...but the difference...at least to me and my experiences...Harry Potter appeals to to a wider audience than princesses and fairies.

Thanks so much! :) It's been too long since I've used my debating chops here. :lol:

You should do it more often. ;) :D

CaptainMichael

Fantasyland East: $500 million for a (cloned) darkride, a restaurant, and facades...
WWoHP: $250 million for a groundbreaking attraction, a restaurant and pub with a custom beverage, an interactive wand shoppe, countless stores with unique, themed products.

CaptainMichael

If only. I`m afraid this is another one being aimed at the wrong audience, mis -apppointed funds, funds that are being cut already.

A new people eating dark ride is a must. As is somewhere to eat. But the rest... would a 4 year old really appreciate a $2 million mirror?

Here you go jt, here is the credible source you were looking for.

jt04

Original Poster

Yes, I think very much so. Not the price but the magical experience of it all. Again, your description is overly simplistic.

DCA is currently building TLM and Carsland, which will have two rides when it opens. That's three new rides currently being built from the ground up all at the same time.

I believe they are opening in different years and that is my point. If the biggest criticism of the FLE expansion is that it only has one e ticket pending, well that is rather weak criticism to put it politely.

I'm so bored by the anti-FLE criticism. It makes the PI debates seem downright enlightening. :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Yes, I think very much so. Not the price but the magical experience of it all. Again, your description is overly simplistic.
That's wholly your opinion. And I find Martin's description to be straight forward. When you describe FLE with no frills, no WDI and TDO Buzzwords, it's dreadfully apparent what it is.

That said, the frills and details that will be added into this, will be a large plus.

Wilt Dasney

I believe they are opening in different years and that is my point.
Carsland's two rides will open at the same time. Whether your argument was "Disney never builds multiple rides together" or "Disney never opens multiple rides together," it was incorrect. Both things are happening/will happen during the DCA expansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom