French Quarter or Riverside for adults?

Ricap

Original Poster
Hi! My boyfriend and I are spending a long weekend in Disney in March. I want to stay at one of the Port Orleans resorts but I'm not sure which. Out of four days, we will be spending one on the resort or walking around exploring (not going into the parks). I've heard the French Quarter is the more romantic of the two, but we're really just trying to get away and have fun. We would like to be somewhere were we could have a few drinks on our relaxing day, but other than that we just want to have fun!

So, what resort would be better for a young couple without kids?

Simba's Mom

Flip a coin! We've stayed in both POR and POFQ as a young couple with no kids. DH likes POFQ best and I prefer POR. For both of us, it's just what our favorite theming is. However, I think that POFQ may have the more "fun" vibe.

wannabeBelle

What Simba's Mom said. Either resort is great, I prefer Riverside for asthetics but I also spend a lot of time at French Quarter for the entertainment at the lounge area, Scat Cat's. Jason & Billy (of Off Kilter) do perform there several times a week in the evenings as a duo and are well worth catching! Marie

Spectro

The pool at pofq is more themed toward younger kids I think. Plus you have the cool lounge at POR, and more quiet pools. They are both lovely in their own right but my preference is POR.

JIMINYCR

We prefer POFQ because its smaller, has that quieter, less busier feel to it. Most times we've found bus service better there. We do like to walk to POR's food court at times, because they offer a larger variety of foods. Both resorts can have loud kids running loose, but we've found less of that at POFQ. Both resorts are nice but POFQ is our home.

LeighM

My husband and I both prefer Riverside. The theme is just more relaxing for us and we love just walking around the resort when not in the parks. We both prefer walking the paths in the Alligator Bayou section. I also enjoy the food court at Riverside more although sometimes we'll walk down to French Quarter and eat there and have their beignets. Plus, Riverside has multiple quiet pools in addition to the large one on Ole Man Island. And you can't forget Yeehaw Bob at River Roost Lounge at Riverside on select nights. He's fantastic! During our last trip, I requested a room near the West Depot, which is the first bus stop for the theme parks and we had a very short wait, no lines, and always the first on the bus. A quiet pool was nearby as well. Because Riverside is larger, there's a lot more to explore.

WDWoptmist

We both prefer Riverside. Love the theming and while it is bigger it has a more relaxed theme to me. I love FQ's actual room buildings but not a fan of the pool or the quick service area, those masks are just creepy :D

Herdman

You won't go wrong with either resort. And, it's a close enough walk to explore both if you're into some exercise. Our family stayed at the FQ on our last trip, and it was about a 15 minute walk at a leisurely pace over to Riverside. Very nice walking by the river. Have fun!

Herdman

We both prefer Riverside. Love the theming and while it is bigger it has a more relaxed theme to me. I love FQ's actual room buildings but not a fan of the pool or the quick service area, those masks are just creepy :D
We were there in November just after the refurbishment, and the masks are gone....unless they have replaced them since.

Seanual757

Cannot go wrong with either resort we prefer PROFQ because it's a smaller resort but we love both and have stayed at both 6 times at Riverside, and 10 at PORFQ.

JTT

POFQ is a quiet, smaller resort with a nice pool, shop and food court. I prefer it to PORS.
The smaller size makes it easier to get my coffee in the morning.

captainkidd

I agree about the masks at FQ. Completely freaky. No word of lies, it's a major reason I won't stay there.

I prefer the main pool, food court, gift shop, rooms and lounge at Riverside.

Minnie Mum

We've always preferred POFQ for its fabulous theming, size and ambiance. Loooove Scat Cats Club. The food court has been completed completely refurbished. When we were there in Nov, the Mardi Gras parade masks (which I really liked) were gone. :(

Ricap

Original Poster
Decided on a whim to go with French Quarters! I figured we could check out both resort areas anyways. We have one full day without park passes or anything to do, so any suggestions for what to spend the day doing on or near the resort?

Paul Joseph

we have stayed at both. riverside to us is more laid back we like to food at FQ better.
if you are looking for something to do, take the boat ride to springs, (downtown) and look around.
its free and the night time on the boat is nice.
if you have a car, there is a mall not too far from Disney. Premium outlet. There is a Disney store in there that sells discounted items that did not sell at WDW

Reggie Colorado

French Quarter gets my vote just for the convenience of the single bus stop and the nonstops to and from the parks. The pool area, though, is very much oriented toward kids and families, although probably still big enough to find a quieter spot. As long as your room does not directly face the pool, it should be very quiet.

mf1972

we stayed at FQ a few years ago & are returning this fall. i like it for its size. small & compact. never far from anything.
has a nice laid back feel to it, & found it pretty quiet even with a pool view .

Mark P.

We stayed at FQ in a corner room facing the river during our honeymoon and will be at Riverside next month, purely to mix it up (and to complete our non-FW tour of the moderates). Unless Riverside wows us, however, we'll probably book FQ next time if price is comparable.

As mentioned, FQ's transportation options are more convenient (both bus and DS ferry). Loved the compact nature of FQ and the theming, but enjoyed the Riverside pool area a bit better (as mentioned above, not quite as "kid-friendly). Now that the Floatworks food court has been renovated, dining options are a bit improved at FQ though I've heard great things about Boatwright's at Riverside (and we have an ADR there for during our upcoming stay). Either way, you're essentially booking a stay at a combined resort property since it's incredibly walkable (and delightfully so) between the two resorts and you have access to both pools, etc.

So, I guess what I'm saying (in an incredibly non-committal and roundabout way) is, you'll enjoy your stay either way. The big factor seems to be theming and convenience to transportation, the first of which is purely subjective and the second of which tilts in favor of FQ.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom