Francis the Robot

Monorail_Man14

Original Poster
Hey everyone! I'm new here and this is my first topic.

Back in '03 (the first time to WDW), we stumbled upon a robot named "Francis". He was near the Imagination Pavilion (I think). We went over to talk to him and we had a nice conversation. He asked us where we're from. My mom answered "The Crescent City". He then asked "Is that where crescent rolls are made?" As a kid, I thought that was hilarious! My mom then told him we had to leave to go to HISTA. Francis was really sad and asked my mom if she can take him with us. Sadly, my mom said, "I don't think you'll be able to sit down." He then cheerfully said, "That's O.K., I can stand in the back!" We left and didn't see him for a couple of hours.

Finally, after walking around, we saw him trying to escape the rain and we asked him what's the matter and the guy with Francis said he had to get out the rain. Francis didn't want to get a cold! Once again, I thought that was funny because I didn't know he wasn't "real".

I went back to EPCOT in '05 and I didn't see Francis. Does he still roam the park? What happened to him?

BTW, he's purple.

DisneyMom4

I've not ever seen Francis. I've seen the talking trash can in MK and the palm tree in AK. Both are delightful and great memories!

I'll look for Francis!

NiarrNDisney

I've seen the talking trash can in MK and the palm tree in AK. Both are delightful and great memories!

I'll look for Francis!

By Palm Tree do you mean DeVine? the living vine

I vaguely remember seeing Francis on a trip to Epcot back in 93' or 94' I can't remeber the year for sure but I do remeber it was when HISTA and Alien Encounter were new attractions. Thanks for reminding me!

Vernonpush

I vaguely remember seeing Francis on a trip to Epcot back in 93' or 94' I can't remeber the year for sure but I do remeber it was when HISTA and Alien Encounter were new attractions. Thanks for reminding me!

Wes Palm is a roving palm tree (like PUSH the trash can)

DisneyMom4

Palm Tree...he's the coolest! Actually I thought he was called Les Palm. In either case, he's cool.

After doing a quick search on google I may possibly have found a pic.

go to Google images
Search terms--- Francis the Robot epcot

should be the first pic that shows up.

if it's the right one, it should take you to a flickr page.

The description of the picture is:
"Frances, the talking Robot at Epcot Center."

EpcoTim

Theres also a woman over at the disboards who ran into him near Canada I guess and he shocked them with his knowledge of canada.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Interesting...I never saw that robot before...I do remember a very futuristic looking robot who was in the EPCOT Center opening special, anyone recall that one? It was very tall and spoke to Danny Kaye and Drew Barrymore IIRC, near the Imagination Pavilion.

WEDwaydatamover

Francis was great! There was always super nerdy scientist that interacted with Francis as part of the show. Whenever Francis smarted off he would get swatted with a rolled up newspaper and yell out OUCH!

I've seen at least 2 different scientists with him over time. Dr. Philby and Dr. Phee? I believe.

I have also seen the actor that played Dr. Philby dressed as a cave man walking around with Francis. I followed them into Mouse Gears. I was drinking around the world but this absolutely did happen around 2002/2003.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom