FP+ meltdown part x

peter11435

Having just done 2 days at Universal/Islands, one day at SeaWorld, and a night at Not So Scary, I have a new-found appreciation for My Magic Plus and the MagicBands.

We stayed at Lowes Royal Pacific at Universal, so in order to function on a normal day we had to juggle everyone's park ticket (printed on thin cardstock), our express passes (also printed on thin cardstock) the hotel key cards, our baggage claim slip, and a parking pass. Not really a problem per-se, but the express passes had to be pulled out every time we used them (which I'm sure thrilled the guests we were passing in line). By the end of the first day they were looking pretty ragged, and by the end of day two, being pulled out several more times (and being wet due to their super-aggressive water rides) had nearly disintegrated them. Suddenly, Disney's system (which had already worked great for us on two prior trips) was making more and more sense. I really don't see why it would be so difficult for Universal to be able to unify my park pass, Express Pass, and hotel key and put them all on a single plastic card that can hold up to two days of theme parking.

For the record, our magic bands worked flawlessly (again) for Not so Scary, and we were even able to schedule and make two FP+ times before the party officially started.
I'm not even sure we were supposed to be able to book those, considering we didn't have any normal Disney park tickets this trip.
Careful. It won't be long until someone comes in here and calls you a "duster" or accuses you of working for disney. Everyone know it's impossible for anyone to actually enjoy mymagic+. Or WDW for that matter.

Bairstow

Careful. It won't be long until someone comes in here and calls you a "duster" or accuses you of working for disney. Everyone know it's impossible for anyone to actually enjoy mymagic+. Or WDW for that matter.

Heh.

I forgot to mention that Universal tries to sell you a $10 lanyard to put your flimsy Express Pass in, but we turned it down since we already felt like scumbags for using their line-skipping service in the first place without flaunting it all day to everyone.

Some of the people we saw at Islands were wearing Express Passes in lanyards AND MagicBands, which was really over the top.

JWG

I will admit that the FP+ system is pretty slick when a ride goes down. We had a bit of a rough day at MK last Saturday that worked out well for us. We were in line at Under the Sea to use our 2nd FP+ of the morning when they had to evacuate the ride. Our FP was seamlessly turned over to a FP+ good at any Fantasyland attraction (excluding Mine Train) for the rest of the day.

To follow that up, just as we were to board Mine Train (with a FP+), it had to be evacuated. For that they just gave us paper FP+ tickets good on any attraction at MK (excluding meet & greets / Belle) until 10/31. We ended up using it for Splash.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Having just done 2 days at Universal/Islands, one day at SeaWorld, and a night at Not So Scary, I have a new-found appreciation for My Magic Plus and the MagicBands.

We stayed at Lowes Royal Pacific at Universal, so in order to function on a normal day we had to juggle everyone's park ticket (printed on thin cardstock), our express passes (also printed on thin cardstock) the hotel key cards, our baggage claim slip, and a parking pass. Not really a problem per-se, but the express passes had to be pulled out every time we used them (which I'm sure thrilled the guests we were passing in line). By the end of the first day they were looking pretty ragged, and by the end of day two, being pulled out several more times (and being wet due to their super-aggressive water rides) had nearly disintegrated them. Suddenly, Disney's system (which had already worked great for us on two prior trips) was making more and more sense. I really don't see why it would be so difficult for Universal to be able to unify my park pass, Express Pass, and hotel key and put them all on a single plastic card that can hold up to two days of theme parking.

For the record, our magic bands worked flawlessly (again) for Not so Scary, and we were even able to schedule and make two FP+ times before the party officially started.
I'm not even sure we were supposed to be able to book those, considering we didn't have any normal Disney park tickets this trip.

Has something changed? I thought the Express Pass was included on your room key card, at least it was the last time we went to Universal and stayed at the Royal Pacific. I was a little surprised, though, that the annual passes were paper tickets. We got both our WDW and Universal AP at the same time - Disney's was a nice plastic card with a choice of character and Universal's was that paper card I was so afraid would tear under repeated use. Or I would inadvertently throw away.

I like my Magic Band. I like everything on one simple thing attached to my wrist - pass, room key, credit card charging, FP, the magic bandits adorning the strap - I just have to stop looking at it, thinking it's my watch. I no longer wear my lanyard for that reason. Now if Disney would just follow through on magic bands that are unique for passholders and DVC members so I don't have to constantly pull out my discount cards. Showing the CM or the server at our meal the sliders for AP & DVC membership on my band won't cut it. If Disney can have a scanner recognize participation in DDP when touching your band, surely they can do the same for AP, DVC, Tables in Wonderland, so I don't have to carry around 3 cards. "Hi! I'd like to buy these shirts and I'm an annual passholder". "Sure, let me scan your band to verify, thanks. Everything's okay. That will be $300, minus your 10% discount, with tax for a total of $286. If you would please touch your band to the Mickey and then type in your pass code when asked. Thanks. Your receipt is in the bag. Have a Magical Day!" That's how I would like to envision retail transactions at Disney. And the next gen bands should light up to remind you of an upcoming FP or ADR. If my Mio HRM can do it, Disney should be able to.

Bairstow

Has something changed? I thought the Express Pass was included on your room key card, at least it was the last time we went to Universal and stayed at the Royal Pacific. I was a little surprised, though, that the annual passes were paper tickets. We got both our WDW and Universal AP at the same time - Disney's was a nice plastic card with a choice of character and Universal's was that paper card I was so afraid would tear under repeated use. Or I would inadvertently throw away.

Not as of Monday morning.

Hotel key was a normal plastic hotel key with Gru and some minions printed on it.
Tickets were on paper cardstock and we were required to sign them after our first use at the turnstyles.
Express passes were created by a separate machine in the lobby. We typed our reservation number into the machine, it took digital pictures of us, then printed out paper express passes with our names and photos on them.

I don't understand the reasoning behind having photos on the express passes if they have bar codes that are scanned each time anyway. They're only good for the days straddling your hotel stay anyway, so was there a big problem with people passing their passes on to other people for a single day's use?

JWG

I don't carry any fewer cards with me with a MagicBand. We are AP holders and DVC members so we have to carry (even with a magic band):
- AP discount card (even though the AP is clearly on the band)
- DVC Member card (eve though the affiliation is clearly on the band)
- ID
- Disney VISA (not so I can use it as it's tied to my band, but so I can get any discounts associated with it)
- TiW card

I think I carry more now than I did before bands. They need to get those affiliations to show without having to have a card. Just ID so you can prove who you are.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Not as of Monday morning.

Hotel key was a normal plastic hotel key with Gru and some minions printed on it.
Tickets were on paper cardstock and we were required to sign them after our first use at the turnstyles.
Express passes were created by a separate machine in the lobby. We typed our reservation number into the machine, it took digital pictures of us, then printed out paper express passes with our names and photos on them.

I don't understand the reasoning behind having photos on the express passes if they have bar codes that are scanned each time anyway. They're only good for the days straddling your hotel stay anyway, so was there a big problem with people passing their passes on to other people for a single day's use?

That is new. We haven't been in 2 years, but back then the Express Pass that was included with your room reservation at one of the three Lowes Hotels was on the plastic room card. That was just a plain vanilla room card, no characters on it. I wonder if they went to a separate card with photo on it because of fraud, as you mentioned. Your fingerprint with your entry ticket identifies you as you so I guess you could meet friends who are not staying on property and let them use your Express Pass room card on rides, since there is no lock out time like the old paper fast passes at Disney. Interesting.

I remember before we got our AP for Uni we had to sign the back of our single day ticket. I found that rather odd.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't carry any fewer cards with me with a MagicBand. We are AP holders and DVC members so we have to carry (even with a magic band):
- AP discount card (even though the AP is clearly on the band)
- DVC Member card (eve though the affiliation is clearly on the band)
- ID
- Disney VISA (not so I can use it as it's tied to my band, but so I can get any discounts associated with it)
- TiW card

I think I carry more now than I did before bands. They need to get those affiliations to show without having to have a card. Just ID so you can prove who you are.

Your wallet sounds like mine. Photo ID to prove I am who I am (because I'm going to steal someone's AP discount card); AP discount card, even though, like you, the slider is on my band; DVC membership card, even though the slider is on my band; TiW card; and my Disney Visa card for those discounts. This is my routine - I walk up to the register, pull out my AP discount card, DVC membership card and Disney Visa card, saying "I will take whichever card gives me the highest discount." I agree, I just want to carry some cash, my ID and my phone, not half my wallet.

JWG

The AP discount card annoys me the most. You can scan my card and see I have an active AP and I can show you an ID to prove I'm who I am. But I have to have a card to be triple sure. Oh, and same with the Disney VISA, if tied to my account you can see it on there (so you know I have it), but I have to show it to you to get the discount.

They'll get there... someday... I hope...

LAKid53

Premium Member
The AP discount card annoys me the most. You can scan my card and see I have an active AP and I can show you an ID to prove I'm who I am. But I have to have a card to be triple sure. Oh, and same with the Disney VISA, if tied to my account you can see it on there (so you know I have it), but I have to show it to you to get the discount.

They'll get there... someday... I hope...

If Apple, Samsung and I'm sure Google is next, can make a watch that's a phone or a phone that's a watch, surely Disney can scan my Magic Band and see that yes, I'm an annual passholder, a DVC member, and that's a Disney Visa card tied to my account for charging, because I'm going to charge the purchase to that card, that's why it's tied to my account and this trip. After all, MDE recognizes my status as both an AP and Florida resident when I make a reservation. All they should ask is for my id to prove it is me. Simple. I think a watch that is a phone would be a lot harder to create and that's been done....

anchorman314

I can sort of understand needing all of the physical cards for verification. With regards to the sliders, they don't necessarily mean anything. For example, the DVC slider. We all got one when checking in. However, technically, the DVC discount is only for the actual cardholder...not all of the relatives staying in the same room. And as far as I'm aware, the only Magicband scanners available at the point-of-sale are for room charging. All discounts need to be applied prior to that being processed. So they'd need to add/implement an entirely new scanner system just to verify discount eligibility. So while I agree it's somewhat inconvenient to carry around all of the cards, there doesn't seem to be a good way around it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom