Four Parks: One Stale World?

whylightbulb

Great insight. Thanks.

I can add only one numb addition and that's Mission Space was told to me, by folks at both WDI and HP, to have cost a lot closer to $200 million than $100 million when all of the above factors were taken in.

I admit that I have no clue where that money could have gone, except for lavish lunches and travel for the development team, but knowing WDI's penchant for pi$$ing away money, I don't doubt it for a second.
Yes now I remember hearing that number thrown around as well. It's complete BS. I have seen the cost for the basic ride system for both bays. In fact the Orlando Business Journal reports that Disney had agreed to pay ETC $35.1 Million for both bays. That is design, fab, install and programming all in. I have seen the cost of all the exterior theming as well as the queue turntable. The total of these came in at around $5.7 Million. So we are now at $40.8 Million. To say that the media, PM, the balance of scenic, show design and show control, lighting, Horizons demo, install and shipping came in at anything over $30 Million more is crazy. Even if every WDI employee charged lunches at the most expensive restaurants and wasted money till there was no time left I don't think they could have spent another $130 Million.

Dragonrider1227

the reason the other parks such as Paris and Hong Kong do so much more is because quite frankly, they need it more than WDW does. They HAVE to try harder there. Not so much for Orlando becuase unfortunately, as much as I'd like to see the next POTC, I and the rest of us who want to see it, are a minority. Everyone else is pretty content with MILF (god, that needs a new name XD) Jack Sparrow and HSM.
Everest is definitely fun, but Laugh Floor? Not only is that not fun, the floor doesn't even live up to it's name. One look at the carpet and not even a chuckle. POTC and HM are fun to everyone and that's what makes them great. WDW needs less attractions targeted to small but money making demographics (tweens and their stupid American Idol an HSM) and stuff that can appeal to everyone capable of spending a buck on something they know will be good.
Well, to each their own. I and my entire family thought it was very funny and not one of us is under the age of 12. So, so much for your theory that it only appeals to children

MousDad

Rest assured, I make sure execs and Imagineers and others in the company hear my viewpoints when I feel they can do some good. And also rest assured that the people who matter take my responses a lot more seriously than a CM at City Hall would.

I know this is true, but you're putting us the average fan, even if we do agree with alot of what you're saying, in a pickle.

Most of us love WDW as much as you do and agree with alot of what you say. But alot of us are still "Fanboys" at heart, so incessant negativity doesn't sit too well. It's one of the nice things about this forum. We have a good balance of criticism and optimism.

I know from your LP posts that you work in the TV industry and you have (family, I think) connections at very high levels of TWDC. So obviously, you have clout as a celebrity poster with connections that we all don't.

So what options do we the "Joe Disney Fans" have to combat this "walmarting" of WDW? You have implied that withholding patronage and/or sending communications to the company (see posts w/ jakeman above and the Adventurer's Club/PI threads that you commented on) are ineffective.

You spend a lot of time online enlisting minions (I know the LP ref) to your cause. So what exactly should the minions do, supposing they agree with you? Or is simply agreeing with you enough?

I will say, though, that despite the fact that you tick me off alot, you do provoke interesting discussion, and I do think it's cool that you're posting some here.

EPCOT Explorer

I know this is true, but you're putting us the average fan, even if we do agree with alot of what you're saying, in a pickle.

Most of us love WDW as much as you do and agree with alot of what you say. But alot of us are still "Fanboys" at heart, so incessant negativity doesn't sit too well. It's one of the nice things about this forum. We have a good balance of criticism and optimism.

I know from your LP posts that you work in the TV industry and you have (family, I think) connections at very high levels of TWDC. So obviously, you have clout as a celebrity poster with connections that we all don't.

So what options do we the "Joe Disney Fans" have to combat this "walmarting" of WDW? You have implied that withholding patronage and/or sending communications to the company (see posts w/ jakeman above and the Adventurer's Club/PI threads that you commented on) are ineffective.

You spend a lot of time online enlisting minions (I know the LP ref) to your cause. So what exactly should the minions do, supposing they agree with you? Or is simply agreeing with you enough?

I will say, though, that despite the fact that you tick me off alot, you do provoke interesting discussion, and I do think it's cool that you're posting some here.

It was only a matter of time.

We have been Palinized!:lol::lol::lol:

Animaniac93-98

Well, to each their own. I and my entire family thought it was very funny and not one of us is under the age of 12. So, so much for your theory that it only appeals to children

I'm so glad Disney building quality attractions like:

Playhouse Disney Live on Stage: Which teenagers love!
High School Musical pep rally: Which seniors love!
Stich's Great Escape!: which....uh...well, someone must love *looks at ratings in Unofficial Guide to WDW* oh dear....
American Idol: *pretends it doesn't exist*

I'm not saying MILF only appeals to kids *tells pre-teens not to snicker at statement* I'm saying there is a growing trend of attractions designed to appeal only to target demographics who buy merchandise related to a specific film or character. WDW1974's argument of attractions not appealing to the ages of 8-88 anymore is very much valid in today's WDW. MILF itself is full of bad jokes designed not to offend anyone or go over anyone's heads (mainly the kids). It may have not been intended just for children, but children are the major concern and priority in what the script for the show is. In short, it's catering to kids. Witty, clever remarks that adults can appreciate on one level are completely absent in favor of jokes that are so bad, Fozzie Bear himself would think they are awful. Stuff that made those puppets and other "children's" shows like Animaniacs (of course I bringing them up!) so great was their ability to appeal to children on one level and adults on another. Disney used to be like that. One look at ANY DC show will prove my point. So in short, the combined lack of good humour, new technology (or new use of same technology), uncomfortable seats, smaller capacity theatre, lack of repeatability (IMO, bad jokes are still bad jokes no matter what they are about) and a poor location resulting in the replacement of an attraction I like significantly better are the reasons I don't like MILF. Could it still use the same concept and be a good attraction? Yes, but for me it's far from one.

As far as me enjoying WDW, I still do. I will always find something I like doing. however, there is an ever growing list of things that I used to like doing that aren't there anymore (Shops not carrying good merchandise, Cindy's Royal table becoming a over-priced character only place that used to be my favorite restaurant) or new things which have zero appeal to me being built or lack of new things replacing old things (no new afternoon parade in MK). Even if I go to WDW I can still choose not to spend my money on items or paces I disapprove of. Do I hate MK? No. Do I hate the Bibbiddi Bobbidi Botique, expanded Emporium, etc? Yes and therefore I will not visit/view those kinds of places/attractions/shows.

As for unclean bathrooms? That's just appalling and certainly sends a bad message to guests expecting cleanliness. Yes pigs today are partially to blame but someone should always be willing to go the extra mile to keep an image up (in this case Disney is always clean).

yankspy

Sorry, I'm not content with staleness and mediocrity being passed off as something more.

I expect better from Disney. I've seen what they can do in Anaheim. In Paris .... Even in Hong Kong. ... And back in the old days, Orlando too.

WalMart entertainment doesn't do it for me.

MILF isn't godawful like the attraction across from it, but it is significantly worse and ... well dumber than its predecessor, Timekeeper. It also totally is out of place in T-Land. If this had opened in the Studios or even Toontown, I might have less an issue with it.
You make an interesting point here that might make a difference for me and for others. I have not had the pleasure of visiting TDL or DLP and so I have not been able to make a firsthand comparison. Had I done so, perhaps I would be as angry as you. I must admit that whenever I see video of Disneysea the place looks immaculate.
Dinosaur has a nice ride system with a bare bones show. In my opinion they might as well have placed the track in a warehouse, outfit the track area with not much more than duvatene, turned off the lights, installed a few animatronic dinosaurs and called it a day. Oh wait, that is just about what they did.

If you had seen the original plans for this ride you would probably agree with me. There was a nifty brush fire effect as well as an actual realistic meteor hit for example. Do most guests riding through even realize that there is a meteor hit with the current design? I suppose the constant plot exposition allows riders to know about the meteor, if anyone is really listening. Instead of using visual elements to tell the story we have an actor reading us the plot as we ride through, i.e., "we've got to get in, get that dino and get out before that meteor hits," in case you didn't get that part in the lame pre-show. Don't even get me started on the, "we're not going to make it we're not going to make it...we made it." This is one of the most poorly written shows in the parks and unfortunately there have been plenty to choose from lately.

One could argue that the ride is fun without the story and first class scenic and effects. I would agree to a point. I worked on the Indiana Jones ride system in Glendale so I can't say I fault that part of the show. What I do fault is the amazing scope reduction with respect to scenic, effects and even animatronics. There is a reason why half of the creatures never work.

As far as Toy Story Mania, if it truly had a $70 Million budget I would agree that it would be plenty to pull off an E ticket to be proud of. What happens however is that these published numbers are almost always inflated substantially.

Mission Space is a great example. The complete ride system price had been common knowledge since it was purchased from a well known company that advertised this product. The only things left were, in general terms, Horizons demolition, R & D, Scenic, media, cabin, pre show and post show design and fabrication, ride system customization (pretty minimal), show control, installation and shipping, design, and the big number that usually ends up eating into effects and the elements that make for a Disney quality show, project management and administration. Even the most liberal estimates would put the total attraction cost at somewhere in the $60 to $70 million range. Trust me, that estimate is extremely liberal taking into account the need for Disney's bureaucracy and extras. If memory serves they were saying MS cost well over $100 Million.

Back to Toy Story Mania. Lousy show with a fun game. Extremely minimal scenic and story in the ride itself. is it fun? I would say it is. Is it anywhere in the same leauge as it could be considering Disney's resources and talent pool? The answer unfortunately is a resounding no!

As I stated in an earlier post, why not place passengers on a tour bus with Barbie as she drives us all over Als Toy Barn. Great opportunity for comedy, games that make sense in the context of the story and environment and action/adventure if desired. You could have some interesting and humorous dialog and offer more than simply moving from one screen to the next to play video games. The 4D aspect makes it a bit more fun but Disney used to be known for the extra touches of theming and detail. UV painted flats with nothing but cookie cutter screen assemblies just doesn't cut it in my opinion. The current storyline is senseless and sloppy.
I was not aware of the cuts in Dinosaur. Perhaps I would be upset had I seen the original plans. I am still very impressed with the AA. I just can't seem to put it in the mediocre category.
WDW1974;3213239 I don't like the new norm ... no matter what aspect of it we are discussing ... because it ultimately means we should expect less in life (be it from our leaders said:
That is the kind of stuff that I was originally talking about. It has nothing to do with this thread. It also distracts from your main argument.

DisneyNut2007

It's so goshdarned obvious that WDW1974 expects waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much from Disney.

It's one thing to have high expectations, but to have ridiculously high/unrealistic expectations (like what WDW1974) is a whole different story.

I think a lot of you are only agreeing with him because you know how he acts on other forums. And that if you disagree with him just once, he'll jump down your throat and assault you and say nothing but bad things about you until you're dead.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
First, I don't appreciate the shot. I give the same amount of respect I am given.

That doesn't justify name calling of people you don't know just because you don't like their decisions. Disagreement is one thing, name calling is childish and accomplishes very little.

I would guess you're talking about my playful nicknames of certain Disney execs?

I don't agree with your premise if that's the case. People behind the scenes call them much worse. I'm just being playful.

Quote:
Second, I love WDW. I am not going to desert it anymore than I would a loved one with problems, illness or addiction. I still get a lot of enjoyment from the place or I wouldn't go.

Then you don't understand the business. If there is a decrease in profits accompanied by complaints then there is incentive to take action.

I understand the business quite well. I actually understand the whole media business that Disney is in far better than most fans on sites like this. I actually work in the media business. So I understand Parks and Resorts as both a stand alone division and how it fits into TWDC as a whole.

And I certainly am not naive enough to believe if I pull my business from WDW that it will amount to anything. It won't. All it will do is make me unhappy because I enjoy the place and it will allow me to be replaced by another guest who likely won't be as discerning as I am ... so the WalMarting will continue.

But it would also serve no purpose whatsoever if I took my business away from WDW because I have issues with the way it is being (mis)run. Hell, I am sure that would actually make a lot of execs happy because I am the kind of guest they have to work to keep happy. Free lanyards or churros or meet and greets with the characters don't make me happy. Clean, safe, well-maintained parks staffed with happy workers offering the best and freshest in themed entertainment do.

Disney would much rather have more of the typical 'everything is magical, WDW rocks!' fans than they would folks like me who remember when Disney earned its reputation every single day.

Yes, they probably would. You generate income but you also complain about "the good old days". You are one of the most difficult types of consumers to please. I'll also note here that you ignored my comment about the dirtiness of the parks in the early 80's.

Gee, do you think I am the problem? Or do you think it's the fact Disney talks the talk, but no longer walks the walk? I'm not the problem. Their pi$$ poor 'leadership' team is. They need to live up to their reputation or else simply say 'we're not adhering to those standards anymore because Wall Street and our leadership won't allow us, but we'll do what we can.'

Of course that'll never happen. But I hate dishonestly and hypocrisy. It isn't magical.

And I didn't purposely ignore anything. I can't/won't comment on everything said on a thread like this that will likely go on and on.

I spent many weeks annually at the parks in the early 80s. I don't ever recall the parks being as dirty as they routinely are now. I never tripped over cheeseburger baskets and Cokes in the middle of Main Street or the Hub like I have of late.

I can't say your observations from them are wrong because I didn't see what you did. But that doesn't negate what I experienced at all. Sometime it can depend on the day, the time, the park etc ... I've seen vast differences in a one-week visit.

I can say with certainty that custodial has been cut way back from where it was in the 1980s. I can for certainity that on the whole the parks are far dirtier than they've been at about anytime except perhaps the early part of this decade.

Quote:
Rest assured, I make sure execs and Imagineers and others in the company hear my viewpoints when I feel they can do some good. And also rest assured that the people who matter take my responses a lot more seriously than a CM at City Hall would.

You seem to be alluding that you have more pull than you are letting on. If you are a regular guest (DVC, annual passholder, etc.) then your letters mean no more than mine. If I misunderstood your response, please forgive me.

Nostalgia is a tricky thing. I'm by no means saying that it is wrong 100% of the time. I'll be the first to agree with you that park merchandise has declined in variety over the past 10 years.

However, it does have the tendency to cover up the bad parts of the past.

I may have more pull than you do. I'm probably more likely to wind up sitting near Bob Iger in an industry function than you are. I'm probably more likely to get into certain WDI resticted areas than you are. I'm probably more well-known to many Disney execs (some that love me, some that hate me) than you are. ... So as to letters, well, I don't write them. When I want to speak to a Disney exec, I either email or phone them or go up to them when we are at an event together.

As to nostalgia, the problem with taking shots at it is this perception that people only look fondly at the past. That's a crock. I can point to many things -- even about Disney -- that weren't as good in the past as they are now. So I tend to react very negatively when people try and tell me that I am looking at things through rose-colored glasses. I'm not.

My memory is just fine. No mad cow for me. I quite vividly recall what WDW was like in the 70s and 80s and what it is like now.

The drop in standards and quality across the board are startling.

CBOMB

You would have to had been in on the minion recruitment from the beginning. Also you would need a sense of humor, and not take things to seriously on a WDW forum. By the way that's not saying you don't have those attributes just pointing out the whole minion thing was kind of a spoof on a well known Disney Bloger, and some folks still don't understand that. Several things are for sure. WDW 1974 knows his stuff, and may upset some people with his opinions, but he always starts interesting threads that a large number of people have opinions on, and post them.

yankspy

It's so goshdarned obvious that WDW1974 expects waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much from Disney.

It's one thing to have high expectations, but to have ridiculously high/unrealistic expectations (like what WDW1974) is a whole different story.

I think a lot of you are only agreeing with him because you know how he acts on other forums. And that if you disagree with him just once, he'll jump down your throat and assault you and say nothing but bad things about you until you're dead.

I still wish that those voices of reason known as Enderikari and Wannab@dis would get back onto this forum to yell at '74 as punishment for his lifetime of foolishness, name-calling, attitude problems, selfishness, self-centered behaviors, etc.
1. Define ridiculously high.

2. I have disagreed with him several times on this thread and he has not called me any names.

3. I will say that he wears his heart on his sleeve and I tend to take a different approach but so be it. He is a little different than me and perhaps others. Does that mean that I should be unable to have a civil discussion with him? What would yelling at him solve anyway?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes now I remember hearing that number thrown around as well. It's complete BS. I have seen the cost for the basic ride system for both bays. In fact the Orlando Business Journal reports that Disney had agreed to pay ETC $35.1 Million for both bays. That is design, fab, install and programming all in. I have seen the cost of all the exterior theming as well as the queue turntable. The total of these came in at around $5.7 Million. So we are now at $40.8 Million. To say that the media, PM, the balance of scenic, show design and show control, lighting, Horizons demo, install and shipping came in at anything over $30 Million more is crazy. Even if every WDI employee charged lunches at the most expensive restaurants and wasted money till there was no time left I don't think they could have spent another $130 Million.

I am reasonably sure that MS cost over $100 million ... how much more, I dunno.

No matter the cost, it hasn't paid off for the Mouse.

CBOMB

I still wish that those voices of reason known as Enderikari and Wannab@dis would get back onto this forum to yell at '74 as punishment for his lifetime of foolishness, name-calling, attitude problems, selfishness, self-centered behaviors, etc.
You mean expecting excellence from WDW is expecting to much?
I have disagreed with WDW 1974 on more than one occasion. Out of all those times he has yet to call me a name.
Please tell me what name he has called you. You have made nothing but harsh negative post about him, and I have yet seen him call you a name. Why don't you give it a rest?

Animaniac93-98

Phil Holmes is that you?

yankspy

I have no idea. But WDI burns through money like Bush and his cronies passing it out to Wall Street banks and investment firms.

I am reasonably sure that MS cost over $100 million ... how much more, I dunno.

No matter the cost, it hasn't paid off for the Mouse.
It is generalities like that that weaken your argument.

WDW1974

Original Poster

I'm not trying to put fans in a 'pickle.' ... I'm just offering up some thoughts and observations.

At heart, I'm a fan first and foremost. Why else would I even be typing this sentence right now?

There are much healthier things to do online ... like !:animwink:

I don't consider myself a 'celebrity poster' ... that's a label I am uncomfortable with. Honestly, because of some of my connections I probably shouldn't post at all. I've been told as much by family and friends. But I've also been asked by friends within the company to keep posting because I tend to be very good at ... well, stimulating discussion. There also is a tremendous amount of misinformation out there in the Internet Era and rumors take on lives of their own. Sometimes, it's good to just set the record straight when you know something isn't accurate.

There is nothing wrong at all with writing, emailing or phoning Disney when you have a complaint ... or a compliment. The best thing, though, is if you are at Disney and have a complaint (or a compliment for that matter) TALK TO A MANAGER and make sure they know about it immediately. Pointing out something when it is fresh is much better than writing an email or letter three months later!

That's why the AC thing gets on my nerves. Because it's over and done with and nothing the fans do will change it. If Joe Rohde (and others at WDI) couldn't save it, then believe me there's nothing fans can do after the place has been shut down.

It would be better to let Disney know how much you enjoy something they might be thinking of closing soon (like say the CoP) rather than bemoan something that is already dead.

No, I don't. The minion deal was all meant as a joke since some Al Lutz bashers accused him of having minions on ine. I said I'd like to have some and off it went. But I don't need any minions. Hell, I don't need people agreeing with me. You all should have minds, use them. Either agree, disagree or do a bit of both with what I have to say.

I just want people to open their minds and think ... of course, I want that in the real world where there isn't nearly enough of that!

People seem to have lost their ability to think over the past decade (I'll resist an election day commentary here) and that's really scary.

Thanks. But why do I tick you off? You don't tick me off ... is it really me or what I am saying?

WDW1974

Original Poster
You make an interesting point here that might make a difference for me and for others. I have not had the pleasure of visiting TDL or DLP and so I have not been able to make a firsthand comparison. Had I done so, perhaps I would be as angry as you. I must admit that whenever I see video of Disneysea the place looks immaculate.

I haven't been to TDL yet (going next year). But I have been an APer at DL and DLP (along with WDW). And I recently visited HKDL for the first time.

Comparing Disney with Disney, O-Town comes up on the short side of almost everything except size, resorts, dining options and recreational options.

There are things at WDW that I love and can't get elsewhere, but most aren't park-related, they're resort-related.

If not for EPCOT and DAK, I'd likely not keep my WDW AP. I likely spend 70% of my WDW time at the two of those parks because they have many unique and wonderful things.

My advice to any Disney lover who only visits WDW would be to spread your wings and horizons a bit and see what else Disney offers ... you'll likely be quite pleased with what you see.

tirian

First, let's set the record straight. Mission Space is no where near being one of the resort's most popular attractions. Many days, if Disney didn't have FP on it, it would have minimal if ANY wait at all.

CORRECT. *Ding!*

M:S and SGE are both failures. PERIOD.

For those of you who base your opinions off a full queue you saw once on a really busy day, that's not an accurate judge of any attraction's popularity.

Neither M:S nor SGE pull in regular Guest crowds. (Even the "Green" version was unable to bring in greater numbers of Guests.) And nothing is impressive about spinning in a circle while looking at sub-par CG graphics.

Just the same, I'm not as overall cynical as you, WDW1974. ;) I think that things are getting better, but WDI can only focus on one major issue at a time. DCA is their big problem right now. They also announced years ago that the MK would see restoration projects before new attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom