1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Former Wet 'n Wild Site

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Bob Harlem, Jan 1, 2017.

1. WhatJaneSays

WhatJaneSays Well-Known Member

Not really, there were a good number of water parks of the same style that pre-dated Wet n Wild that were built in the mid to late 60s. Few survived more than 10 years. River Country opened 9 months earlier than Wet n Wild. The Lake Dolores Waterpark in California opened in 1962 and is generally considered the first documented modern style water park in America to open.

Wet n Wild is/was likely the oldest "continually running" water park in America.

2. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

The qualifier is "Modern" not "Continually Running". Lake Delores Water Park was fed by natural springs. WnW was the first water park to use all filtered and chlorinated water. And that innovation became the industry standard. That is why WnW is called the first modern water park.

IAmFloridaBorn, cheezbat and JoeCamel like this.
  3. Kitchandro

Kitchandro Active Member

This is the first I've heard of this, I'm absolutely gutted.

Wet N' Wild was easily the best water park I've ever been to. Disco H2o was a classic that can't be bettered. I can't believe it.

cheezbat likes this.
  4. IAmFloridaBorn

IAmFloridaBorn Well-Known Member

The Volcano down the street may help you start believing...

danpam1024, andysol and BubbaQuest like this.
  5. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Announced 18 months ago. Bae >>>>> Wn'W

6. danpam1024

danpam1024 Well-Known Member

I think VB will make you forget all about W&W :)

JoeCamel likes this.
  7. Bob Harlem

Bob Harlem Well-Known Member Original Poster

8. trr1

trr1 Well-Known Member

any news about what is going to happen at the site after demo ?

9. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

No idea but things seemed have gotten started. Doubt they would spend the money for demo without a plan for the property. Could very well be another hotel/resort, the CEO said he wanted to add many many rooms. He has but I don't remember how many he was shooting for? 10,000? I don't know what the room count will be after the Cabana towers and the new hotel are finished but it's not 10,000 rooms. I believe the number of rooms now stands at around 5,200? Looked it up and the CEO said he was aiming at 10-15,000 rooms.

I would say 99% likely hood that a big resort or two is coming to WnW.

10. disney4life2008

disney4life2008 Well-Known Member

I am thinking a hotel and shopping district. That is prime area that is somewhat underdeveloped.

11. DDLand

DDLand Well-Known Member

The last rumor that was going around claimed the project would be a new hotel Resort with thousands of hotel rooms going after the Disney Value market. That makes sense, but we'll see.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...ersal-orlando-wants-massive-hotel-on-wet.html

http://www.clickorlando.com/entertainment/new-hotels-proposed-for-wet-n-wild-property

I believe their ultimate goal is 15,000 rooms. Though that was a from a couple years ago. Upon completion of their currently announced hotel projects they'll have made it to 6,200 rooms. They still have quite a ways to go, and Wet'n Wild is the last major development parcel by the look of things before they dig into their new parcel. Park 3 seems like it's coming sooner rather then later.

trr1 and DarthFiscus75 like this.
  12. Corey P

With the new rooms hopefully they up the attractions. If you are talking another 3-4,000 rooms that's a lot of people around that most likely wouldn't be there in the past.

I don't know a huge hotel seems like a leap to me. Can Universal actually fill that many more rooms? The new hotels seem to be do well now but there is a point out there where Universal just built to many rooms. Small hotels are less risky then one giant one.

danpam1024 likes this.
  13. JoeCamel

They have a whole park they haven't built yet!

trr1 likes this.
  14. trr1

trr1 Well-Known Member

or two

danpam1024 and JoeCamel like this.
  15. DarthFiscus75

DarthFiscus75 Well-Known Member

Interesting comment. Care to elaborate??

16. trr1

trr1 Well-Known Member

Universal bought over 400 Acres of Land that Lockheed Martin owned. that could be used for 2 parks another water park and hotels and a possible 2nd shopping district

17. UCF

UCF Member

I'm sure Universal has doubling their existing facilities on their long term plan, so they are more comparable to at least what Disney has today. They bought the land to do it. As the demand comes, they'll build it. It is probably just gonna take like 20+ years to get there.

DarthFiscus75 likes this.
  18. JoeCamel

Once they start building a lot of bloggers are getting an annual pass to the eye.

trr1 likes this.
  19. WDWBigEd

WDWBigEd Member

So once upon a time I was involved with Loews Hotels... During my time with them they were telling us WnW was closing in the future and the plan at that time was to build a huge resort there catering to higher end business class. So much has happened since then and I'm not sure if that's still the plan. I know during that time they were saying the 15 year outlook had them adding 5 - 10 new resorts. They want to cut into the stay here play here market.

20. Corey P

That doesn't matter in the near term. A bunch of people staying in a hotel looking for what ever Universal has to offer doesn't care about the future. If it's not there and people get grid locked, then it doesn't matter at all.