For all the grammar police out there

cw1982

If someone were (not where or we're or weir - if you're reading Thomas Hardy) to complete the sentence, the redundancy would be apparent. "You are smarter than I am....." What would follow? Tall? Tired? Hungry? No, smart, of course. ;) It's understood.

Exactly :)

Nemo14

I'm the same way, and I try to not tout my inner grammar nerd in other posts because then I just look bad if I end up with a typo or make an error. It's much easier to be lazy ;)
I've corrected a few blatant ones ("for all intensive purposes" comes to mind), but mostly I just ignore it. I really wish people would learn the difference between lose and loose though. That one drives me nuts.

cw1982

I've corrected a few blatant ones ("for all intensive purposes" comes to mind), but mostly I just ignore it. I really wish people would learn the difference between lose and loose though. That one drives me nuts.

Yep. I think my biggest mistake in keeping my cover on this was when someone asked about the difference between affect and effect in another thread and I jumped in with the answer. Since then, I seem to have a reputation for being the Grammar Queen. I definitely did not see it coming! Oops.

StarWarsGirl

Are students even forced to read Thomas Hardy these days. I still remember Ned the Reddleman.
Depends on the teacher. Pretty much through middle school and part of high school, you read what you're assigned to. I don't recall any of the teachers assigning it. They like to do more 20th century novels now. By the time you get to Junior and Senior year, especially in AP classes, you're given lists and are asked to pick off the list. Senior year my teacher assigned two Shakespeares and one novel plus Biblical passages, and then we read several books on our own and just wrote papers and such on them. Junior year we read three novels as a class and then picked some to read on our own. Sophomore year we did a lot of poetry and read about five books on our own. It just all depends on the school and the teacher. I don't see Thomas Hardy on the recommending reading list for the AP exam, though.

cw1982

Haha I don't blame you. I read the sentence correctly in my head. That helps. It's a little worse when it's a run-on, though.

I take back my last post. I have recently commented on someone's grammar. I had read the post three times and still could not comprehend what he was saying because there were so many run-ons and ambiguous or incorrect pronouns. I don't remember where it was now, but I said that I didn't understand the post and never got further clarification. I guess the person thought I was being a snob. I just wanted to know what he was trying to say. Oh well.

Californian Elitist

I take back my last post. I have recently commented on someone's grammar. I had read the post three times and still could not comprehend what he was saying because there were so many run-ons and ambiguous or incorrect pronouns. I don't remember where it was now, but I said that I didn't understand the post and never got further clarification. I guess the person thought I was being a snob. I just wanted to know what he was trying to say. Oh well.

See? They think you're rude, but honestly, it really is hard to understand what someone's trying say when their grammar is off. I remember reading an entire post without any capitalization and without a single period. It was very long, too. I mentioned the lack of periods in the post, and I didn't get a response back from the OP. It was tough to understand because I didn't know where their sentences began and ended.

PUSH

Haha I don't blame you. I read the sentence correctly in my head. That helps. It's a little worse when it's a run-on, though.
My favorite is when people type an entire post in one long run on sentence without and punctuation which makes it hard to understand what is being said and instead you just focus on how it's possible for someone to not use even a single period but then it is all okay in the end because they put a period at the very end of the post because clearly the entire post was one well written sentence.

Californian Elitist

My favorite is when people type an entire post in one long run on sentence without and punctuation which makes it hard to understand what is being said and instead you just focus on how it's possible for someone to not use even a single period but then it is all okay in the end because they put a period at the very end of the post because clearly the entire post was one well written sentence.

LMAO!!! Thanks!!!!!

cw1982

I once had to write a 250-word, grammatically correct sentence for a writing class. That was the actual assignment. It ended up being fun!

Wow, now I really sound like a nerd.

StarWarsGirl

Oh I hardly ever correct anyone online. I get paid to do that at work. I'm not here to work ;)
I hear ya. I was an editor on my school newspaper in high school. People got really irritated with me when their papers would be handed back with a bunch of red marks, but I'm thinking, "Hey, you're the one who hasn't listened to our grammar Nazi teacher!"

Now that I'm going to be working as a tutor, I assume that I'm going to get some peer review assignments for papers, plus I'll be fixing people's Spanish grammar. I really don't want to have to worry about it here, nor do I want to worry about my grammar being absolutely perfect on this site (except for stuff like lose vs. loose, their, there, and they're, your vs. you're, and super long run-ons). It's not going to be because no one is perfect, including me (even though I like to think I am sometimes, haha, but I'm not).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom