Foggy Pirate Memory

drkokintz

Original Poster
Many years ago, probably around 1979 (I was around 6), my family took a two-week vacation to Disney World (remarkable, as at the time, MK was the only park). We stayed at the Poly. One night while we were there, my sister and I, without our parents, were sent in a boat with several other children, to a beach somewhere around Bay Lake. When we got there, there was a pirate that proceeded to tell us stories around a camp fire. The only other thing that I remember about this was getting devoured by mosquitoes, but the event has always stuck in my head as one of the most memorable Disney experiences from my childhood.

I've checked online to see if anyone else ever remembered doing this, but I haven't found anything. Also, I just read today about the Pirate's Adventure at The Grand Floridian. Does anyone know if this is the same thing, and maybe just switched resorts?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :animwink:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Many years ago, probably around 1979 (I was around 6), my family took a two-week vacation to Disney World (remarkable, as at the time, MK was the only park). We stayed at the Poly. One night while we were there, my sister and I, without our parents, were sent in a boat with several other children, to a beach somewhere around Bay Lake. When we got there, there was a pirate that proceeded to tell us stories around a camp fire. The only other thing that I remember about this was getting devoured by mosquitoes, but the event has always stuck in my head as one of the most memorable Disney experiences from my childhood.

I've checked online to see if anyone else ever remembered doing this, but I haven't found anything. Also, I just read today about the Pirate's Adventure at The Grand Floridian. Does anyone know if this is the same thing, and maybe just switched resorts?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :animwink:

I dont recall ever hearing anything like you described above. However the Pirate Adventure essentially is nothing more than a bunch of kids on a boat being driven around yelling arg at everyone. We had one motor by while on a fishing excursion one morning....

Thiger

wow that sounds really cool!

One thing i remember is the pirate photos that you could take beside POTC. I would pay like $1000 to have the photo that my family took way back in the early 80's.

The reason i brought it up is that it was a really fuzzy memory and i wasn't sure if it was real until I read about it online somewhere.

good luck in yoru search

MythBuster

I did hear a rumor of them rehabbing the "American Dream" and using it as a Pirate ship and giving rides around the Seven Seas Lagoon

baz212

I remember going on some kind of kids only pirate trip from the Poly in 1985. I don't remember a campfire but I do remember being told the Spanish moss hanging from the trees was hair from a scalping. I don't remember much else. My mom might though.

diddy_mouse

It wouldn't have been Discovery Island would it? I know you had to take a boat to get there (I think from the MK or maybe the Poly/Contemp.) I was watching an old episode of WDW Inside Out and the host went over to Discovery Island for a segment.

Laura

Premium Member
Don't you hate when you get random weird childhood Disney memories stuck in your head and you can't remember what they heck they are? :lol:

My parents sent my sister and I on a pirate cruise somewhere around there in 1989. I'm assuming it left from the Grand Floridian because that's the resort we were staying at, but I can't be certain. I don't remember much about it at all.

drkokintz

Original Poster
It wouldn't have been Discovery Island would it? I know you had to take a boat to get there (I think from the MK or maybe the Poly/Contemp.) I was watching an old episode of WDW Inside Out and the host went over to Discovery Island for a segment.

Actually, I don't think we went to an island. I'm fairly sure that we were on a sandy beach area that was relatively close to monorail beams. Might have been around GFR (which wasn't there at the time) or between the TTC and Contemporary.

baz212 said:
I remember going on some kind of kids only pirate trip from the Poly in 1985. I don't remember a campfire but I do remember being told the Spanish moss hanging from the trees was hair from a scalping. I don't remember much else. My mom might though.

This sounds right. One funny thing from the memory: there were at least two CM chaperons, and there was the pirate. I distinctly recall that the 'pirate' was wearing a Disney name tag.

Thiger

does anyone remember Laffite's Portrait Deck?
More importantly, does anyone know of a place where I could find some of the photos taken there?

One of my most cherished memories was a pic that my family took a long time ago, but alas it's resting somewhere with Davey Jones and I'd love to phtooshop a new one...

any leads would be greatly appreciated!

rcapolete

I was suppose to go on this as well around 84 but it rained so we had to stay in the game room at the Contemporary instead. I was so bummed becuase i was looking forward to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom