Flying with a lap baby...

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Do I need to bring my daughter's actual birth certificate? Or can I bring a copy of it?

Thanks for you help!

Depends on the airport. They usually want the original only but some may take a copy but I would not chance it. If it is a copy it usually needs to be certified. :)

I would add one caveat to the above post. It really is not the airport that matters so much as the airline. TSA really does not care how the child is flying so long as they have the lap ticket. It's the airline who would charge full fair if the child is over 2 that is of concern. We flew with my daughter when she was just under 2 by one month. We called the airline (United) before to see what they would require. They advised they did not anticipate they would ask but that we should carry a copy of the birth certificate just in case. We actually wound up carrying several copies in different bags in case one got lost on the trip. No one ever asked to see it. I would suggest just checking with the airline you are flying with.

docdebbi

we also have traveled LOTS with lap babies. usually USAir- we always bring a copy of the birth certificate. the tsa has never asked us for an id for the baby and when we try to shove it at them (hey, we brought it, please check it) , they shove it back at us and tell us we don't need it. and the airline has never checked either.
so bottom line you won't need it.
that being said, I'd bring a copy anyway. never know when you are going to run into an overzealous guy who wants to make it hard on you. and while you may win an argument if they get their manager, just easier to carry it anyway, so we do.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I have another question..... Has anyone ever flown with those squeezey fruit pouch thingys??? LIke Beachnut brand? I am planning on packing a few of them and don't want them to burst open (I plan on putting them in a ziplock bag in my checked suitcase, but just curious). Thanks!!!

WDWDreamer4

We flew with a lap infant a few times and Southwest always checked the birth certificate. So I would definitely take the original.

As for the pouches, I would put them in a bag definitely, though I don't think they will explode. Even if squished a bit in your bag. I would put them between clothes or in the middle not on top.

Since you are traveling with an infant you can take some of that on the plane with you. They didn't make me open the baby food I carried, but I did have to open the juice for them to test. The test was a paper they put over the open top. They didn't put anything in the bottle nor did they touch the juice with their hands. I always was present for all the testing which they did right at the end of the TSA security check.

DisneyDreamer08

Last year we packed lots of food for our daughter (older than your child, she was almost 4). We packed squeeze applesauces, a bottle of juice, bread packed in a shoe box, peanut butter, jelly, lots of snack... Nothing exploded or opened. We mixed it in with our clothes and put potentially messy stuff in plastic bags.

Weather_Lady

I have another question..... Has anyone ever flown with those squeezey fruit pouch thingys??? LIke Beachnut brand? I am planning on packing a few of them and don't want them to burst open (I plan on putting them in a ziplock bag in my checked suitcase, but just curious). Thanks!!!

I haven't, but the best way to protect anything you don't want "squished" would be to pack it inside a hard-sided plastic container so it can't get squeezed too much en route. It doesn't have to be anything fancy - a plastic shoebox from the Dollar store, or some Tupperware, should do the trick, and for extra protection, you can still put them inside a gallon-sized Ziploc bag first :)

jaklgreen

My girls are teenagers now so many things have changed but when we travelled to Florida, we were never asked for any kind of identification or immunization records for our kids. They started flying at 1&2 years old. I never carried their birth certificate with me since we were not leaving the country. I really see no reason why they would even ask for it if you are travelling as a family and staying in the country.

Cosmic Commando

My girls are teenagers now so many things have changed but when we travelled to Florida, we were never asked for any kind of identification or immunization records for our kids. They started flying at 1&2 years old. I never carried their birth certificate with me since we were not leaving the country. I really see no reason why they would even ask for it if you are travelling as a family and staying in the country.
It's not for TSA purposes... it's to prove to the airline that the child is under 2, so they are eligible to be a lap baby,

jaklgreen

It's not for TSA purposes... it's to prove to the airline that the child is under 2, so they are eligible to be a lap baby,

We started flying with our kids at 1 &2 years old with SWA and I was never asked(good thing since we did not bring their birth certificate). Like I said, things may have changed. I know that when the kids were little, the flights were never full. In fact we always had the row to our selves and the kids had a seat. So maybe now that they always seem to over sell the seats it is a good idea to keep that with you if the airline wants it.

Seanual757

As a former airline pilot who has flown in and out of airports across the US and especially Orlando. To make sure you have no issues pack the birth certificates it’s better to be safe than sorry, as for food and drinks in your bags the TSA @ MCO are hit or miss. Some will be a real PITA while others could care less they are just waiting for the shift to be over. Remember the liquid limits per TSA rules. To speed up yourself through TSA especially on the A side for SWA and the B side for Delta so yourself a favor and limit what you can in your carryon bags. Unless you have priority boarding and you can skip the normal TSA line be prepared for waits up to 45-60 minuets @ MCO during peak times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom