Floridians: Go see DL, Boycott WDW

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I've decided. I'm boycotting WDW until they put money into the parks - enough so that the WDW parks are caught up with DL.

This is coming from a Floridian, who has traditionally visited WDW almost every year. Why am I boycotting WDW? Answer: I've seen what WDW is desperately missing. I've seen the details and the amount of care put into our West Coast sibling, and I am shocked that the WDC has not kept WDW as modern, up-to-date, and as-well up-kept as DL!

Why the sudden rebellion? Well, a couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to visit DL while on a trip to Southern California. I am still in awe as far as my impression of that park. Almost every ride: Space Mountain, Pirates, Its a Small World (always skipped the WDW version in recent years, but I actually enjoyed the DL version), Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Pooh... all far more superior than their WDW counterparts.

Not a litttle, but a lot. Space Mountain, for example, rides on new smooth tracks (that are invisible to its riders) and rocks with a killer sound track. Florida's old rickety Space Mountain needs to be rebuilt desperately. Buzz Lightyear and Pooh are not placeholder attractions to fill in space of former attractions that got gutted (namely Take Flight and Mr. Toad) as is the case in Florida, but these attractions at DL were built on new ride systems designed for those rides, not built over the ride systems of closed rides.

Haunted Mansion and Pirates may have a better outside and que area at WDW, but are completely better at DL! Haunted Mansion at DL has effects that just work better and seem to be more up-to-date. For instance, the singing ghosts faces are perfectly in sync to the vocal tracks of 'grimm grinning ghosts'. The dog being walked actually moves, compared to the WDW version that is not animated. Pirates is much longer and gets updated every few years, compared to WDW's version that finally got its first update since it opened in 1973!

I have no desire to ever go back to WDW until management gives those parks the care and attention DL gets. I do plan on going to CA more often and will visit DL each time. To those who have been to WDW so many times and never DL, I seriously suggest that you visit DL. After you see what I am talking about, please join me in boycotting WDW!

Legacy

Well... I hate to break it to you... but you will probably be waiting for a very long time.

DL brings in more locals then tourists. As a result, Disneyland has to keep things updated and fresh in order to maintain interest from their primary demographic. WDW, on the other hand, makes their money with tourists who will come once, maybe twice in a life-time. They aren't going every year and have the opportunity to compare to what is or isn't there.

Different demographics... different management styles.

It ain't gonna change...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
WDW management does need a good restructuring and shake down though. It`s still teetering a little too close to a Pressler-Harris resort.

DisneyMusician2

Disney throws A LOT of money back into the parks, despite what many people think. The last published report was over $100 mil a year goes directly into work and rehab in the World. With four parks and a huge resort area, I caution you to be patient. Enjoy what you can in the parks, but they add new attraction all of the time, and are constantly renovating their older hotels to better accomodate guests. Give them some time. Not that management couldn't use a kick in the butt on some things, but don't make it seem like they really just don't care about anything.

Passport

I've decided. I'm boycotting WDW until they put money into the parks - enough so that the WDW parks are caught up with DL.

This is coming from a Floridian, who has traditionally visited WDW almost every year. Why am I boycotting WDW? Answer: I've seen what WDW is desperately missing. I've seen the details and the amount of care put into our West Coast sibling, and I am shocked that the WDC has not kept WDW as modern, up-to-date, and as-well up-kept as DL!

Why the sudden rebellion? Well, a couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to visit DL while on a trip to Southern California. I am still in awe as far as my impression of that park. Almost every ride: Space Mountain, Pirates, Its a Small World (always skipped the WDW version in recent years, but I actually enjoyed the DL version), Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Pooh... all far more superior than their WDW counterparts.

Not a litttle, but a lot. Space Mountain, for example, rides on new smooth tracks (that are invisible to its riders) and rocks with a killer sound track. Florida's old rickety Space Mountain needs to be rebuilt desperately. Buzz Lightyear and Pooh are not placeholder attractions to fill in space of former attractions that got gutted (namely Take Flight and Mr. Toad) as is the case in Florida, but these attractions at DL were built on new ride systems designed for those rides, not built over the ride systems of closed rides.

Haunted Mansion and Pirates may have a better outside and que area at WDW, but are completely better at DL! Haunted Mansion at DL has effects that just work better and seem to be more up-to-date. For instance, the singing ghosts faces are perfectly in sync to the vocal tracks of 'grimm grinning ghosts'. The dog being walked actually moves, compared to the WDW version that is not animated. Pirates is much longer and gets updated every few years, compared to WDW's version that finally got its first update since it opened in 1973!

I have no desire to ever go back to WDW until management gives those parks the care and attention DL gets. I do plan on going to CA more often and will visit DL each time. To those who have been to WDW so many times and never DL, I seriously suggest that you visit DL. After you see what I am talking about, please join me in boycotting WDW!

So how often did you go to WDW? And do you have an Annual Pass?

Buford

PAUL: , you ever wonder what’s outside those walls?
: Say now, that’s dangerous thinking, Paul. You best stick to your work.
PAUL: (laugh) Okay.

- Family Guy

:lookaroun

Shaman

:lol: at Buford.

WDW > DL

No matter how you paint the picture. That's just my opinion though.

Maybe I never recovered from the turnoff that was DL's castle...:lookaroun

Epcot82Guy

PAUL: , you ever wonder what’s outside those walls?
: Say now, that’s dangerous thinking, Paul. You best stick to your work.
PAUL: (laugh) Okay.

- Family Guy

:lookaroun

Ah... so true...

And, the question may be:
WDW > DL BUT...
WDW management < DL Management

PKD

Most of the updates you are speaking of were due to the 50th celebration. Prior to that, DL was hurting from what people have said to where they were compairing it to Six Flags and such.

elabron

Go ahead and boycott WDW......One less person for me to have to wait in line behind! :sohappy:

MickeyTigg

If you talk to DL veterans you'll find out that DLR was in pretty sad shape prior to the 50th Celebration. Many think that the park was spruced up for the celebration and they wonder how long they'll keep the park as kept up as it is.

Buried20KLeague

Ditto. DITTO, DITTO, DITTO. After about 20 week-long visits to the World over an 8 year stretch, my wife and I had the opportunity to visit DL for the first time in August. Let me just say we were first shocked by how much better the park was, then saddened. We went in with a bias, hoping that "our" park would blow it away and we'd be able to leave there resigned that we wouldn't need to make additional trips out West. BOY were we wrong. Maddeningly so. I don't need to rehash it all (and frankly it's somewhat traumatic to recall :lol: ) but I stand by every comment you made.

And I get the demographic thing. I get that they need to add things here and there to keep the locals coming back at DL. But come on. That excuse only goes so far. The MK is horribly lacking TLC. For example, Space Mountain is a joke at WDW. Don't get me wrong, I recall fondly being 5 and how that attraction made me feel... Heck, sometimes I feel that way still as I walk into the Mountain. But I don't let that stand in the way of common sense. A rickety, broken down, extremely jerky wild mouse coaster inside a dome that's not nearly dark enough doesn't scream "Disney" to me. It screams "we don't have to change it yet because as of now the crowds still come". And THAT is the problem here. The mindset of those in charge is dangerously teetering on the edge of causing a real problem. Because eventually, those crowds will drop off because of things like quality, or recession, or something else... And if you didn't spend the "fat" times plussing up all the attractions that need it badly, you don't have much to offer the public as far as motivation to return when times are bad. You have to prepare for these times, and they aren't doing it. They're riding the wave, almost as if they think people will just always pack into WDW "just because".

As for your call for boycott... As badly as I wish I could, there's just no way. :lol: Even with the shorter Pirates, run-down HM, particle board-laced Buzz, OLD version of jungle cruise, and piece of junk SM, there's still just nothing at all like sitting in front of the castle and watching Wishes with my 9 and 8 year old girls on my lap. THAT is what screams "Disney" to me. And that's why I've gotta keep coming back. And that's why MK has the TLC problem it's got also. People like me will go no matter what, and they know that so they don't dump money where they should, yet I'll still go, so they'll keep status quo... It's all a vicious circle... And the only way that will get broken is when it HAS to... When attendance drops.

Just my two cents, but I don't think I'm far off. :wave:

slappy magoo

Hey, buried...

interesting that you point out in the same paragraph that Space Mountain needs refurbishment, but that in its current incarnation, "crowds still come."

The Catch-22 is that, however nice a SM sprucing-up would be, the time it spends down is time that thousands of guests will be disappointed that they won't be able to ride it, especially people for whom a trip to WDW is a once-in-alifetime thing, and not a regular destination. The same would be true of any of its e-ticket rides. Sure, they could wait until there's a down turn in attendance, but with the robust increase in travel the past few years, combined with their attractive new ticket pricing, means that there really hasn't been a downturn lately. And on top of THAT, you have the Disney purists who would go apoplectic if one of MK's signature rides changed for any reason, even if it was due to a needed update. No matter what, lots of people will be disappointed when that happens. Heck, I know *I'LL* be disappointed when I go in August if the HM refurbishment is still in progress. They may indeed be waiting until the point where refurbishment is absolutely necessary, but until then, or until attendance starts hurting, why would they?

MSTINKHERBELL01

I am a Fla Res. Annual Passholder and have been one proudly for years! My family and I visit WDW once or twice a month and to be honest, I don't have too much of a desire to be anywhere but Walt Disney WORLD. Sure, it would be nice to visit Cali but my home...my magic...my family LOVES WDW. The decline that the OP speaks of I have not seen. I have seen WDW build and grow which will cause alittle "Please Pardon Our Pixie Dust". You are entitled to your opinion and I respect it.

Boycott if you will which will leave one less person in the WDW parks for us to worry about in line.

Happy Holidays!:xmas:

maggiegrace1

I am a Fla Res. Annual Passholder and have been one proudly for years! My family and I visit WDW once or twice a month and to be honest, I don't have too much of a desire to be anywhere but Walt Disney WORLD. Sure, it would be nice to visit Cali but my home...my magic...my family LOVES WDW. The decline that the OP speaks of I have not seen. I have seen WDW build and grow which will cause alittle "Please Pardon Our Pixie Dust". You are entitled to your opinion and I respect it.

Boycott if you will which will leave one less person in the WDW parks for us to worry about in line.

Happy Holidays!:xmas:
:sohappy:
Well said Samantha....:)

rwa2204

Based on several different sources I've heard the following.
Each ride has a specific budget of their own. That budget is determined by attendance to that ride. So based on that what do you do? Not ride the ride and it gets less money and in theory less money for refurbs. Or do you go on the ride and disney does not refurb it because attendance is still good?

All good questions..

But I agree with all of you that several rides need alot of TLC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom