Florida Comptroller Website?

squidward

Original Poster
If I google the website, I can find it. However, does anyone have a link to the page where you can look up someone's name to confirm that they are an owner of DVC?

Thanks in advance!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well, you actually have to go to the Orange County Comptroller to find that information. The Florida site will not include Orange County. If you are really that leery that the person might not be legit, I would not take the plunge.

Out of curiosity, did you work through someone like David's Rental? A broker like that is much safer, since he has contracts with the renter's that cover everyone involved. YMMV.

squidward

Original Poster
Well, you actually have to go to the Orange County Comptroller to find that information. The Florida site will not include Orange County. If you are really that leery that the person might not be legit, I would not take the plunge.

Out of curiosity, did you work through someone like David's Rental? A broker like that is much safer, since he has contracts with the renter's that cover everyone involved. YMMV.

I know many people love David's, but I'm not a fan. He charges more per point (though the trade off is you know it's secure), requires full payment in advance, and offers no refunds due to possible changes.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I know many people love David's, but I'm not a fan. He charges more per point (though the trade off is you know it's secure), requires full payment in advance, and offers no refunds due to possible changes.
I did not know all of that. We are owners ourselves, so never rent.

squidward

Original Poster
Cost of doing business with someone who wants to protect all involved.

Of course. It's his business, and he has hundreds of clients. I just prefer dealing with an owner one on one. Knock on wood, we've rented points close to 10 times and never had a problem. I find you can save more money by renting from an owner and buying trip insurance than you can by dealing with one of the companies. I won't mention names, but one of the big dogs out there won't even do a search for until 7 months. I don't care what time of year we're going, I always try and book at the 11 month window. At the GF, forget 7 months. You won't have a prayer.

tjkraz

Just FYI, searching for the deed in public records is all well and good...but all it does is confirm ownership. Practically-speaking, the owner retains control of the reservation until the moment you check-in. Even if you have a legit owner and a confirmed reservation today, it could disappear tomorrow.

If you really want protection, DVCRequest is the best way to go. They may collect 100% up front but half of the rental fees are kept in escrow until the trip begins to help ensure the reservation remains in place. And in the unlikely event that something does happen, David's offers a guarantee that they will provide alternate accommodations.

Also, the deed will be recorded with the county where the points are owned. Could be Florida, California, South Carolina or Hawaii depending upon the resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom