Flight of Passage vs Rise of the Resistance

Better ride?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Better ride?
Avatar Flight of Passage: Fly A Banshee in Pandora | Walt Disney World  Resort

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Opening at Disney's Hollywood Studios |  Disney Parks Blog

UNCgolf

Real props and movement beats a screen based simulator of similar quality every time. It’s as simple as that.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Flight of Passage is gorgeous and fun, but it doesn't give you the feeling of actually being there the way Rise of the Resistance does. Even NRJ is much better than FoP at that one specific part of a ride (not saying it's better than FoP overall).

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
They are very different experiences and ride systems. My vote is for FoP even though it's a screen-based sim, it's more immersive. RoR has more sets to travel through, a longer more detailed plot, more moving interactions and it also pays the price for these things as well with great amounts of downtime and a lower guest throughput.

Its like having a 60's or 70's Jaguar... looks great but spends way to much time in the garage or repair shop.

BoarderPhreak

RotR is a fantastic ride (when it works and/or you can get in on it) but to be honest, after blasting through three rides on opening day, I was kinda bored with it. I decided to blow off my fourth ride. FoP on the other hand, just has something special. I don't know, I love FoP. So that gets my nod. Just wish it were a little longer.

Giss Neric

Not factoring in breakdowns or difficulty being able to ride...

FOP: I think this is the king of screen rides right now. This is the only screen/motion simulator ride that a lot of people I know with motion sickness can tolerate and won't hesitate riding it again. I just really love how you literally feel like flying and all the 4D effects like the scents, winds and the banshee breathing.

TrainsOfDisney

FOP delivers a bigger wow, imho. But Rise is more fun because it has the traditional dark ride gimmicks.

For all the money that was spent on Rise, it didn’t wow me the way FOP did but it’s still very fun.

Jones14

Rise wins for me, but both rides really take what one would expect from their respective ride systems and crank it up to 11.

DisneyMusician2

Gotta go with Rise, its simply more immersive and the combo of the live actors, animatronics, trackless system...never been on anything quite like it.

Anyone ever imagine what a revamp of the Great Movie Ride would be like with the tech and approach of Rise? Could have been a really interesting experience....

keyframe

Both experiences are extremely rewarding in their own way. Rise was far more immersive and engaging compared to the pure visceral experience of Flight. Stepping out onto the deck of the star destroyer was impressive. Plus, Rise has a much broader scope of experiences between the walking sections and the ride vehicle section. The sensation of actually being in flight on FoP was fantastic though. In a straight comparison, I have to go with Rise for its sheer magnitude and scale.

In fairness to FoP though, I think Smuggler’s Run is a much closer comparison in terms of experience. Both are very similar in length, scope, and ride technology. I’d have a much more difficult time choosing between those two.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Mostly screen ride versus the practical effects in RotR make it an easy choice for me.

RotR is a completely new concept for what an attraction can be with many elements from pre show to attraction and everything in between.

FettFan

I haven’t been on either, therefore I didn’t vote.

But I will say this:
At least the Star Wars sequels elicited some emotion from me, negative though that emotion was.

The ‘Avatar’ movie did absolutely nothing for me except numb my butt.

On top of that, Flight of Passage has you sitting on a faux motorcycle and staring at a tv screen. No thank you.

Rise actually has impressive sets that your vehicle passes through, including animatronics, everything from Kylo Ren to working gun turrets and a life size AT-AT.

From what I gatherFoP only has Hank-in-the-Tank.
1609547486368.jpeg

FettFan

Gotta go with Rise, its simply more immersive and the combo of the live actors, animatronics, trackless system...never been on anything quite like it.

Anyone ever imagine what a revamp of the Great Movie Ride would be like with the tech and approach of Rise? Could have been a really interesting experience....

Would have been SWEET jumping from movie to movie like that.

M&MRR should have been built into the old animation building. For obvious reasons.

Poseidon Quest

In general, I will always argue that attractions with physical sets will always overshadow screen based rides. Here however, I think I've changed my mind. I think I very much prefer Flight of Passage because its design philosophy reflects older Disney attractions. It allows you time to immerse yourself in the environment and take in the individual scenes. It has more in common with Pirates of the Caribbean than Rise does from this perspective. Rise ends up feeling more like a Universal attraction, where everything is thrown into your face at once. FoP's attraction technology is quite remarkably immersive as well. I'm not a huge fan of simulators, but it's so incredibly well done because of all its sensory stimulation through smell, wind and motion. It's 3D effects are so well done that its an actual seamless integration as opposed to a gimmick like Tough To Be a Bug or Philharmagic. The content of the attraction is great too, in that it contributes to the overall themes of Animal Kingdom and feels like it could exist outside of it's IP, whereas Rise feels very much tied to Disney's damaged brand of Star Wars. I recently did a video essay breaking the Star Wars issue down, and while I like Rise well enough, I think FoP is actually superior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom